Sir Snark-A-Lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since your talking shop WW. Today was a pretty productive day as far as getting my new shop up and running. I finally got my mill and lathe over there the end of last week but not set up. Im pretty tall and it always hurts my back to run them very long cause I had to bend over some. I've been meaning to make risers that go under the machine but never got around to doing it. I figured since I had to move them, now was the time. So, today, I made and welded up steel risers that raises the two machines up to where I don't have to bend over. Worked awesome, then took the forklift and put the machines up on them, got them wired and running. Huge accomplishment. Having a forklift there at the new shop is a game changer as far as moving heavy shit let me tell ya.

Sounds like a productive day Todd!

When we going to see pics of this new shop?? Sounds like a great place to do your work!!

Wife picked up a new Becker today:

006.png

Sounds like a productive day Todd!

When we going to see pics of this new shop?? Sounds like a great place to do your work!!

Its gonna be a while. There's so much to do. My goal now is to just get if functional. So far, its kinda been a pain, with my machine tools at home I couldn't do everything I needed/wanted to do at my buddies shop. And with my grinder at my house I couldn't do knife work out there. So, for maximum efficiency, I just needed to get the most stuff in one place where it could be most used. Just getting the other place functional is the immediate goal, and that gonna happen as soon as my new grinder gets here. So, far ive wasted a lot of time going back and forth. The new shop is about 4 miles from the house. Not far, but plenty of time wasted in transit.
The plan, is to work for myself, (knife work) early of the morning every day while no one is there. Figure about 5 hours a day. Then I can do the things my buddies shop needs me to do throughout the day and have my evening and weekends back.

That's the plan anyway.

Today I made the second or third largest financial investment of my life. We decided to hop on the solar band wagon and invest in the microFIT exchange program. This is part of a government initiative where we set up a system on our house and feed power back into the grid. The power company then compensates us for the power we put back into the grid at over twice the value of what we pay for it (we pay about $0.16 per kw/h, they pay us $0.39 per kw/h that we pump back in). The system pays for itself in 6-10 years if you have to take out a loan to purchase it (increase your credit score). The contracts are for 20 or 25 years so after you pay off the system you have a positive cash flow of about $500/month for 14-19 years. Obviously if you pay the system off faster you then have a longer period of time of money coming in!

Next month we get the roof re-done and then the panels and system put in!

Grats on the new steel Warrior!

Sounds like the new shop will be a sweet set up Todd!

Grats on the new steel Warrior!

Sounds like the new shop will be a sweet set up Todd!

Already had the 2, was talking about the cook book, haha.

Congrats on the new "Becker" Warrior! You'll have to cook something out of there for us ;)

Very cool getting everything set up Todd! Sounds like things are going to work out a lot better for you. Very happy to hear it!

Finished up the sheath last night for my sheep skinner. Also took the full polish out of the scales to make more of the canvas "grain" pop. May actually bring them down a bit more. Who knows I'll probably be messing with it for awhile. Besides that its been a real good cutter, its already picking up some patina. Sheath is a little Jantz kit job that I roughed up a bit, heavy waxed with beeswax, and soaked down with oil/wax mix. Pretty dang quick and cheap project. Also took a picture with my well loved older GR belt blade.

WW glad to see you are taking your knife making head on and sorry your keep hitting little road blocks along the way, but I am sure you'll turn out something pretty dang cool!

TBL, that microFIT systems sounds like a good idea, I will do some research on that

here's the twisted rat tail. It will take a nut, tho. I'm gonna cap it off with a spike :D

IMG_20140914_163830_zps4yz9io0z.jpg

IMG_20140914_163839_zpsdhpl8tmr.jpg

IMG_20140914_163920_zpslys25vfj.jpg

TBL, that microFIT systems sounds like a good idea, I will do some research on that

here's the twisted rat tail.

Sweet looking rat tail Zulu!

After throwing some numbers around it gets even better ;). If I payed down the system in about 4-6 years... then re-invested the incoming income its generating into an investment fund with 7% return. At the age of 60 I'll be sitting on around half a mill :D

Ah Warrior, I would of thought it the other way around ;) you already had the book and got another bk2 ;)

Congrats on the new "Becker" Warrior! You'll have to cook something out of there for us ;)

Very cool getting everything set up Todd! Sounds like things are going to work out a lot better for you. Very happy to hear it!

Finished up the sheath last night for my sheep skinner. Also took the full polish out of the scales to make more of the canvas "grain" pop. May actually bring them down a bit more. Who knows I'll probably be messing with it for awhile. Besides that its been a real good cutter, its already picking up some patina. Sheath is a little Jantz kit job that I roughed up a bit, heavy waxed with beeswax, and soaked down with oil/wax mix. Pretty dang quick and cheap project. Also took a picture with my well loved older GR belt blade.

WW glad to see you are taking your knife making head on and sorry your keep hitting little road blocks along the way, but I am sure you'll turn out something pretty dang cool!

New pipe arrived and is better than I'd hoped. Been wanting a fat bulldog ever since I saw Gus's.

3630CD95-C197-466F-8975-3EB61747E274_zpszwk3fain.jpg

here's the twisted rat tail. It will take a nut, tho. I'm gonna cap it off with a spike :D

IMG_20140914_163830_zps4yz9io0z.jpg

IMG_20140914_163839_zpsdhpl8tmr.jpg

IMG_20140914_163920_zpslys25vfj.jpg

The fact that it twisted Zulu means that it was on the verge of breaking. It is not as strong as it was before the twist. When you put your endcap/spike on, its likely to break if you tighten it very tight.

Was you able to find the things I mentioned earlier? That should help you correct these problems.

I like it. It looks like you're getting in touch with your inner mountain man. :thumbup:

The fact that it twisted Zulu means that it was on the verge of breaking. It is not as strong as it was before the twist. When you put your endcap/spike on, its likely to break if you tighten it very tight.

Was you able to find the things I mentioned earlier? That should help you correct these problems.

will go hunting for the stuff tomorrow, the chart and dies. I threaded it while still annealed, then did the HT. Does this still means it can break? I want to do a leather/wood/stag stack, tap a piece of steel then cap with a spike.

Ugh, Just spent the last 3 hours working on English homework. It sucks. This is just the regular Honors class, I cannot wait to take AP literature next year! :rolleyes:

Also, Geez! You guys are tough. But thanks. I have some of the best spelling and grammar in my class. Does anyone else think that it is kinda sad that the dudes on an internet forum have tighter tolerances for grammatical errors than my English teacher? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back