Sledge Hammers!

JB - I was curious if you would be willing to share how you clean/patina your hammer heads. If you do not want to share any proprietary information, that's OK. The hammers you have been showing really have a nice finish - I didn't know if it was anything other than wire brushing with an oil finish or something a bit more esoteric. They look great.

I use wire wheels- either a cup brush on an angle grinder or wire wheel on a bench grinder but usually the one followed by the other. Then fine steel wool under running water to get rid of any residue. I basically want them so that nothing rubs off on the hands when handling. Other than that they just get covered with BLO and rubbed off when I treat the handle.

Also, I do the wire wheel portion of the cleaning outside. Too much dust and mess. Respirator and eye protection always. I usually wait until I need to clean a bunch and do them all at once.

There is a place for non-sparking tools. I used to do a lot of industrial remodeling for Boeing. There were numerous places in their plants where we were required to use non-sparking tools. Boeing themselves had a machine shop set up strictly for working with berylium.

Back