20190227-113901.jpg

20190227-113837.jpg

20190227-113815.jpg

20190227-113702.jpg

True Temper
3lbs.
8 3/4" total length
1 1/2" diameter face

This is a vintage Ampco 10lb bronze sledge hammer on a nos link handle. I bought this from an older gentleman that was taking it to turn it in for scrap. I was at the recycling place asking about axes and this older guy came up and said he had some he would sell me. So I went over to his truck got a couple axes and this bronze beauty! The man said he used them at a refinery he worked at about 35 years ago. So it’s at least that old. The company still sells them and they aren’t cheap haha. The handle isn’t too old I don’t think but probably late 80’s? Not sure. Thanks for looking!!

Not quite a “sledge” hammer but with all the leathercraft I have been doing lately, I thought I might show off my cobblers hammer. A hard days work for this thing is occasionally tapping down thread to neat-up stitching or gently tapping two pieces of leather together to set the contact adhesive but I have been putting it through it’s paces.

2-F33-C68-C-5459-4-B10-A354-771-E4-F751-F5-F.jpg

I restored an old Montgomery Wards head and carved the handle out of American Chestnut that I dyed red.

Stitched up a little guard for it, for looks (as if it needs it), and formed leather around a wooden base that I made to give it a little pedestal on my bench.

qI7SdUp.jpg

Not quite a “sledge” hammer but with all the leathercraft I have been doing lately, I thought I might show off my cobblers hammer. A hard days work for this thing is occasionally tapping down thread to neat-up stitching or gently tapping two pieces of leather together to set the contact adhesive but I have been putting it through it’s paces.

2-F33-C68-C-5459-4-B10-A354-771-E4-F751-F5-F.jpg

I restored an old Montgomery Wards head and carved the handle out of American Chestnut that I dyed red.

Stitched up a little guard for it, for looks (as if it needs it), and formed leather around a wooden base that I made to give it a little pedestal on my bench.

qI7SdUp.jpg

Outstanding!

A question for the "hammer heads" here :)

What is this thing?
It has a raised marking that looks maybe like a "2" followed by a larger "1/2". A spike set in one end. From what I can tell, the hole runs through whole the head - I can see the handle in the eye from one end. It has an large oval eye and the number "65" that would be upside-down to the user when you hold it.

The hammer pattern (minus the spike) looks familiar but I am curious.
47332127801_98c3dd632c_h.jpg

Lugged.spike.hammer

Lugged.spike.hammer

Lugged.spike.hammer

What is this thing?
It has a raised marking that looks maybe like a "2" followed by a larger "1/2". A spike set in one end. From what I can tell, the hole runs through whole the head - I can see the handle in the eye from one end. It has an large oval eye and the number "65" that would be upside-down to the user when you hold it.

Lugged.spike.hammer

Lugged.spike.hammer

Lugged.spike.hammer
Wow that is strange... very cool too. I can't wait to learn what it's for!

I'm guessing that spike hammer is for some kind of masonry task. Maybe used by a boiler maker to chip out worn liner? The point being replaceable tells it was for heavy use.

What is this thing?

Lugged.spike.hammer

Lugged.spike.hammer

Lugged.spike.hammer
I've never seen it's like, that is odd.

Last edited:

I thought this was interesting. Marked Sheffield Steel England then on the other side 3LB. I guess made in England for export only? Seeing how England is the imperial system. Interesting enough I guess. I have never seen a Sheffield steel hammer. Just saws and chisels plane irons etc. most edged items is what I mean. For the price I had to get it.

haven't seen that one before, but I like it? How far is that hole running through the head?

Kevin, I think the hole runs all the way through but I can't be sure. When you look at the open end of it, you can see the tongue of the handle in there. I don't know if the end with the spike is open all the way to the tongue just because I haven't attempted to remove the spike. It doesn't seem like it would come out easily.

If it was designed to have a spike inserted, the whole deal used to set the spike, the head then freed from the set spike, and then finished off with another hammer, it would make sense to have a backstop in there. Otherwise it seems like it would just chew out the wood keeping it hung on the handle in short order.

I feel like I have seen a lugged hammer design in an old catalog somewhere but certainly don't remember anything about them being hollow or being pictured with a big spike in the end. It's hung on a 35-36" handle but the tongue is less wide than a standard double bit and quite a bit thicker across to fill the eye.

Back