Slysz Bowie - for those wondering

The designs are pretty similar, but the Mehr K2 is much larger, with a 4.5 inch blade. I haven't seen official dimensions for the Slysz Bowie, but it will be 3.2-3.5 inches, according to a source that I'm not sure I can post here. Much more of an EDC knife.

I do think the Mehr (as well as the Tatanka) should be an important addition to the Spyderco lineup, as I have heard and seen many requests for a plus sized folder in their lineup, although for myself the Slysz Bowie is a much better size

Yeah, they almost look like Little Bro and Big Bro of the same model, like Military & ParaMilitary 2.

Two different designers, VERY similar design. It's a good design though.
Not sure how I feel about CTS-XHP. But then again, I have no experience with CMP 10V either...

Mehr K2 or Slysz Bowie? Or another way to think about it: 10V or CTS-XHP ?

10V? Its like K390 with even better edge retention and the K390 mule has had the best edge retention out of anything I've tried..

CTS-XHP? Had a Domino for a while and I wasn't impressed with the edge retention at all..I'd rate as merely ok..a long long way from K390..

This race isn't even a little bit close..

MSRP is 499.95

SKU: C186TIP

ETA: not yet confirmed

(info from my dealer)

It bit above what I was expecting to be honest, but that is the info my dealer got from her distributor. Was hoping for MSRP at about $400...

So then where does that put the Mehr K2? Conservatively at $375-400?? Lordy lord

Ouch.... I held off on a southard hoping this would come in at similar street price. Looks like it might be the southard for me. I always did enjoy the flipper of my crkt though

$300 and I'm out. Been wanting this one bad too. For an extra $120 I'll get myself a left hand Startac.

This is one of things for me thst I really don't care to much about the price. I want one . But I am holding out till there are final production pictures and some reviews to be 100% sure so no pre ordering. I am impatient but can handle waiting out the initial rush.

$300 and I'm out. Been wanting this one bad too. For an extra $120 I'll get myself a left hand Startac.

I've never understood these sorts of posts. This knife is so appallingly expensive that you feel compelled to buy a (significantly) more expensive knife instead? Other people have made similar statements, I'm just saying no comprendo.

Fear not, gentle reader! Any knife from Spyderco in this segment has gone on deep discount from several sources after a while. There was similar (premature) hysteria when the stepped Chaparral MSRP was announced, and the price went down as stated. Hold off on the initial rush and deals will present themselves. Even the very popular Southard could be found for just over $200 after a while.

I'm with Johnny boy, this one appears to be my ideal EDC, so I'm probably in regardless. I'm just going to lurk for that good deal.

I've never understood these sorts of posts. This knife is so appallingly expensive that you feel compelled to buy a (significantly) more expensive knife instead? Other people have made similar statements, I'm just saying no comprendo.

Fear not, gentle reader! Any knife from Spyderco in this segment has gone on deep discount from several sources after a while. There was similar (premature) hysteria when the stepped Chaparral MSRP was announced, and the price went down as stated. Hold off on the initial rush and deals will present themselves. Even the very popular Southard could be found for just over $200 after a while.

I'm with Johnny boy, this one appears to be my ideal EDC, so I'm probably in regardless. I'm just going to lurk for that good deal.

Yes. Finally.

It doesnt compell me to spend even more money. In fact I dont own ANY $300 knives. But if I were to spend that kinda coin, I'd probably lean towards a midtech. Especially a left handed version. Only knife I have that is close to $300 is my ZT0801CF that I paid just under $270ish. But at least its a LE.

I was hoping that itd be in the $220-250 range. I'm comfortable spending that for a nice Taiwanese Spydie.

Hope my logic makes sense. Maybe I'm just disappointed its not in the budget at this time.

I've had my share of customs and Sebenza's so even at $300 I would still be in. Every Taichung Spydie I've come across has been flawless so the price may be justified in my opinion. I definitely wont be one of the first to hand over my money though.

I think the Slysz Bowie and the Mehr K2 look incredibly similar, at least, based on the prototype pics I'm seeing on the web.

Don't you think?

If I had to pick only one, I think I'd go with the Mehr K2.

They feel totally different in person. The k2 is BIG. The Slysz is more of an EDC IMHO.

It doesnt compell me to spend even more money. In fact I dont own ANY $300 knives. But if I were to spend that kinda coin, I'd probably lean towards a midtech. Especially a left handed version. Only knife I have that is close to $300 is my ZT0801CF that I paid just under $270ish. But at least its a LE.

I was hoping that itd be in the $220-250 range. I'm comfortable spending that for a nice Taiwanese Spydie.

Hope my logic makes sense. Maybe I'm just disappointed its not in the budget at this time.

Fair enough. I can also see not wanting to make a concession such as "wrong-handedness" in this segment. My feeling is that it will probably be available for 250 if you're patient and decisive, but this is all speculation at this point.

I'm torn. At $250, I'm reaching the top-end of what I'd spend on what is essentially a Techno with slightly more material (same designer/collaborator, same materials, same manufacturing facility). IMO, the Techno was slightly over-priced for what it is.

I still paid it, and didn't feel ripped off, but it gets into this weird territory where you're looking back at the Sage 2 which is such a great deal (but S30v is slightly less expensive than CTS-XHP, and no collaboration with a custom designer - so I get that the Techno needed to be more expensive), but moving forward to $250+ and you're looking at used Sebenza territory (which IMO is very much the category that the Bowie fits into - more so than the Techno or Sage 2).

At $300, you're in "LNIB" or at least gently-used Small 21 territory. The Bowie and Sebenza are for sure completely different knives, but my next purchase will definitely be one of them and at $300+ I hate to say it, but I'll have a hard time choosing the Bowie over a mid-tech (even as legendary as Taiwan's QC has been).

Like I said, I'm torn - we'll see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Back