Slysz Bowie

IMHO the Slysz is as well made as the Sebenza large and small I have owned and still use. The edge of the Slysz is thin and its push cuts powerful and accurate. I have plan to thin it and reach the level of the Nilakka.
More on my little blog
http://nemoknivesreview.com/

I love your blog Nemo, I always look forward to updates. Hows the edge thickness on the Bowie say compared to the Para?

Thank you for the nice words.
Thinner and the blade surface smoother.
It's really impressive for a factory edge.
My Cold Steel Lonestar folder got that kind of edge but not that kind of steel.
;-)
My Slysz is as good as my convexed Crue wear Millie.
It should be much better after break-in that factory edge but it is great.
Only my Nilakka (and BRKT Canadian Special) are laughing out loud at her. This Bowie got very strong genes: a thin edge on a convex confortable titanium handle. The K2 looks so crude compared to it. But this is another story and it's a knife which it's own pro and con.
But that Slysz is something to handle. Your hands will tell you before your brain how excellent its design is.

Thank you for the nice words.
Thinner and the blade surface smoother.
It's really impressive for a factory edge.
My Cold Steel Lonestar folder got that kind of edge but not that kind of steel.
;-)
My Slysz is as good as my convexed Crue wear Millie.
It should be much better after break-in that factory edge but it is great.
Only my Nilakka (and BRKT Canadian Special) are laughing out loud at her. This Bowie got very strong genes: a thin edge on a convex confortable titanium handle. The K2 looks so crude compared to it. But this is another story and it's a knife which it's own pro and con.
But that Slysz is something to handle. Your hands will tell you before your brain how excellent its design is.

Honored to have you chime in Nemo. I'm a big fan! Appreciate your passion in sharing.
Btw If you only have $450 to spend, would you spend it on sebenza or Slysz? ;)

Well got mine on Friday here is some pix of Slysz Bowie and Techno.
LCdoiEd.jpg
[/IMG] ,
5S5tvEx.jpg
wnSexsS.jpg
[/IMG] ,
zvofbtB.jpg
iaqWqvK.jpg
[/IMG]

I love my Sebenza and I love my Slysz.
You can't go wrong with either.
But now I'll go with the Slysz. ☺
(flat ground, spyderhole and concave titanium handle)
Cheers

The slysz if you want user that is fun to flick. The Seb if you want that head and shoulders above production quality standards...

Several reports have the slysz as being equal or damned near equal to the sebenza. Could the sebenzas be head and shoulders above the slysz if most people are saying they're equal? Interesting. Makes me want to get both and compare for myself.

Several reports have the slysz as being equal or damned near equal to the sebenza. Could the sebenzas be head and shoulders above the slysz if most people are saying they're equal? Interesting. Makes me want to get both and compare for myself.

It's not. Really, it just isn't. The level of detail and manufacturing accuracy/tolerances that go into a Sebenza just aren't there in the Slysz. "Feel" being such a subjective thing anyway, one could argue that all day long, but no one can honestly say that the Spyderco Slysz is exactly 1:1 with the Sebenza. Pivot construction alone renders that a moot comparison.

Now, is the Slysz a really nice knife? Sure is. I bought one the moment it came out. Aside from the crowned blade spine and beautiful stone wash finish on the blade and handles, I did not personally feel that at $300 it was quite worth it. Again, that's highly, highly subjective.

I found the action out of the box to be fairly pedestrian, i.e. acceptable and likely to break in, but a bit draggy and gritty; typical production knife feel. The design is understated and cool, but it just didn't feel "special" to me. And when the street price is $300.00, it really has to have that for me to keep it. Conversely, I've never owned a Sebenza that did not feel like it was special or worth every penny. To me, I really didn't think there was enough to the Slysz to justify the price and it left me feeling a little down on it. Again, there's nothing "wrong" with it, but a "Sebenza killer" it will never be. And it's not supposed to be anyway.

Of course, I say that and then promptly drop another $300 on the Rubicon...which I absolutely do feel is worth the street price. There's so much nice detail there, and it's so well done.

Also, I think one of Spyderco's friendly competitors in the U.S. have recently upped their game in the Ti frame lock biz; one of which I had recently purchased before the Slysz, and for $100 less, I honestly feel like I got a lot more.

So much of this is subjective though...if you want a Slysz, buy one. If you want a Sebenza, get one. But they are just not the same thing, and I think that's perfectly ok. I think the question is will you personally be happy with the Slysz for what it costs? Everyone evaluates that differently.

It's not. Really, it just isn't. The level of detail and manufacturing accuracy/tolerances that go into a Sebenza just aren't there in the Slysz. "Feel" being such a subjective thing anyway, one could argue that all day long, but no one can honestly say that the Spyderco Slysz is exactly 1:1 with the Sebenza. Pivot construction alone renders that a moot comparison.

Now, is the Slysz a really nice knife? Sure is. I bought one the moment it came out. Aside from the crowned blade spine and beautiful stone wash finish on the blade and handles, I did not personally feel that at $300 it was quite worth it. Again, that's highly, highly subjective.

I found the action out of the box to be fairly pedestrian, i.e. acceptable and likely to break in, but a bit draggy and gritty; typical production knife feel. The design is understated and cool, but it just didn't feel "special" to me. And when the street price is $300.00, it really has to have that for me to keep it. Conversely, I've never owned a Sebenza that did not feel like it was special or worth every penny. To me, I really didn't think there was enough to the Slysz to justify the price and it left me feeling a little down on it. Again, there's nothing "wrong" with it, but a "Sebenza killer" it will never be. And it's not supposed to be anyway.

Of course, I say that and then promptly drop another $300 on the Rubicon...which I absolutely do feel is worth the street price. There's so much nice detail there, and it's so well done.

Also, I think one of Spyderco's friendly competitors in the U.S. have recently upped their game in the Ti frame lock biz; one of which I had recently purchased before the Slysz, and for $100 less, I honestly feel like I got a lot more.

So much of this is subjective though...if you want a Slysz, buy one. If you want a Sebenza, get one. But they are just not the same thing, and I think that's perfectly ok. I think the question is will you personally be happy with the Slysz for what it costs? Everyone evaluates that differently.

hummm, as much as I liked the slysz bowie, I sold it back because I did not feel it was worth the price point. Albeit, there is a considerable cost to having the titanium scales contoured. On the other hand, the I am totally satisfied with my Slysz techno, and knife laws been what they are here in Canada, I feel more comfortable carrying a shorter blade.

has anyone given a long term slysz bowie review? While the slysz bowie design is far more appealing to me then the Sebenza, I wonder how it compares in terms of durability.

I've had mine for about 9 months and I'm still loving it!

bfc60118260cd71db89d0cd65c75a753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, my Slysz Bowie is better made than my Seb 25. It's smoother, quicker, and built to better tolerances. My sebenza is nice and is smooth, but my Bowie takes it. The only thing that makes the sebenza feel nicer are the ergos, which are subjective.

One of the very best mid sized folders on the market imho. I'd prefer a slightly different blade shape, but that is subjective. Mine is flawless and has been since the start.

Money well spent imho (no regrets on my 2 Technos either ;) )

Darn expensive, but I'm sure glad I got one. Beautifully made and comfortable to use. Love the simplicity of it.

DSC00173_zpssk2eyppi.jpg

DSC00175_zpsl2r1axjq.jpg

DSC00193_zpsaynzssz0.jpg

Cursum Perficio, yours seems to have a little less belly, which is great.

now all these beautiful pictures yall are posting is pushing me to getting one again lol. I'll keep my eyes for a sale, and if it ever does, I'll make it mine again.

Back