Recommendation? Small makers doing high-end production

I can vouch for Holt. I have one of their Specter model with me and it is a great knife. The ordering process and communication was also top notch too. I am willing to answer any questions on the knife if you are interested. I am trying to upload a video on it soon since I noticed there is not much out there on the knife.

I'll second this. I have Specter #26 as shown in their gallery. Excellent knife, excellent customer service. I'm selling one of my favorite knives (a $700 retail Andrei Sander) as it's been replaced by the Holt.

A lot of the stuff in this forum looks amazing, of course. But the number of custom makers out there seems endless, many customs are terrible, the reputation system on bladeforums is pretty weak, the effort needed to navigate this field is substantial, and even people who try to navigate it seem to be frequently burned. I think it's not for me, unless I'm going to spend $1k+ on the work of someone well-known, which I'm not. Hence why I'm asking about makers who are unabashedly "production".

I'm sure one guy's comments don't help you too much, but one custom maker I've found who I absolutely recommend is Brandant Robinson. He does smaller gentlemen's folders (liner locks) starting at about $400. I've bought three of his knives and they were all excellent, especially for the price.

These look amazing, but they're marketed as customs, not production. Also way outside the price range.

This was regarding Brian Nadeau / Sharp By Design - that didn't get captured in the quote. His older, larger models were around $800, but he's started doing smaller knives (3.0-3.5") that can be had new for under $600 if you don't go crazy with customization options. I bought a Mini Typhoon (3.5") directly from him this summer for $596 total, including a decent amount of customization.

They're custom in the same way Grimsmo is custom - he does pretty much everything via in-house CNC.

"Custom Designed & Hand Built by David M. Rydbom" doesn't sound like production to me.

Knives sold directly by Dave are full custom, and start at $1400, but he does a lot of collaboration designs as well, like the Unagi from Mission Workshop that dropped this summer. However, I think you're really asking about who builds the knives, not designs them, so I'd agree this shouldn't be on your list.

You mentioned Reate with regard to the Begg Steelcraft line, but not their own work. Knives like the Horizon and K-1 are excellent, and within the price range you mentioned.

You can also look at Jeremy Robertson Calavera Cutlery. Some of his smaller stuff goes for under $600.

And finally, not considering Hinderer?

You mentioned Reate
Did I? I don't think I'd consider them a small maker. As I understand it, they're a major OEM. Am I wrong?
not considering Hinderer?
I don't want to make this thread into a quality debate, but I can't consider Hinderer or Strider to be quality makers.
You can also look at Jeremy Robertson Calavera Cutlery. Some of his smaller stuff goes for under $600.
I can't find anything currently on sale at that price point, but the stuff sure looks nice. Thanks!

Did I? I don't think I'd consider them a small maker. As I understand it, they're a major OEM. Am I wrong?

They build their own designs, plus Liong Mah's stuff and the Todd Begg Steelcraft line. As far as their production volume, I don't think it's large enough to call them a major manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if their manufacturing capacity was about the same as CRK or Hinderer.

I deleted my 2nd sentence, saying this would be at the upper end & then some of your range

But I thought why be so negative :D

I'll second this. I have Specter #26 as shown in their gallery. Excellent knife, excellent customer service.
They look really good, but I want to see hear some balanced/critical commentary. Am I right that he just shipped his first run?

Have you considered GiantMouse? They’re a collaboration between Jesper Voxnaes (Vox) and Jens Ansø and as far as I’m concerned are amazing. The GM2 was a rare miss (if it was a miss at all) but the GM1 and GM3 are incredible IMHO. They make 300 at a time plus 100 special editions, then they discontinue the model. I talked to the operator and he said be on lookout for GM4 in a couple weeks. They come in a bit under your range but are hella premium. GM3 is a flipper with G2 Ti and M390. I’m quite smitten, clearly.

I agree with the GM3 recommendation... would have made it myself, if it weren't for the price range stated in the OP. My GM3 is my favorite knife purchase of 2017.

Last edited:
Looking at your title, then reading the text in your OP, vanadium vanadium , it seems you're not looking for a small knife but a smaller-shop maker. That would keep most Shirogorov offerings out of your price range, though some can be had off the secondary market for under $600.

A larger Shiro you might find on the Exchange for under $600 would be the Hati, which has a 95 mm blade and runs on PB washers, making it more like a CRK with a flipper than their other models which run on BBs. I got mine as a user here for $525. It has a bushing pivot like a CRK 21 and the same hydraulic smoothness. It flips well enough, though not quite like a BB knife, and its M390 blade is an excellent slicer.

Definitely under $600 new would be the NeOn Ultra-lite with S30V (some were available with Elmax, though they seem to be out of stock currently). This is the open back version of the usual NeOn Lite that goes for $550 new. Mine came LNIB off the Exchange for just under $500 and is a 3.25" blade that should be more generously hand-filling than a small Sebenza. The regular NeOn Lites have M390 or S90V and are $650ish new if you can buy one right and can be had for under $600 on the Exchange.

I have 6 Shiros and highly recommend them in every aspect.

I know you don't want to debate, but I find Hinderers to be very high quality for F&F, materials, design, and superior feel in hand. I've bought 5 and kept 4, only selling one for greater variety and not liking its coated blade and slabs. The knives do have a deserved rep for inconsistent detent/flipping action, though Hinderer has reportedly dialed that in better lately. My 4 vary from OK to very good and I have no issue with Teflon washers, all mine being extremely smooth with no lack of sturdiness.

I put my Hinderers right up there with my CRKs and Shiros for quality.

One more to mention is the Olamic Wayfarer 247. Mine is a very base "Stealth" model with stonewashed PVD coating on blade and slabs and gold-anodized hardware that came in just under $400 new. Excellent M390 blade shape and sharpness, strong detent/flipping action, great in hand, super F&F. A really nice touch is the detent-ball ramp cut into the blade tang for hitch-free closing. Eugene at Olamic is highly communicative and their customer service is reportedly excellent. Depending on how much bling you want, the price range there is $400-600. I think my more modest version is one helluva looker and a super value at the price. Highly recommended!

Sorry for the wall of text--guess that's way more than 2 cents worth. :rolleyes:

I agree with the GM3 recommendation... would have made it myself, if it weren't for the price range stated in the OP. My GM3 is my favorite knife purchase of 2017.
I'll third that GM3 recommendation. The quality is right up there with knives in your price-range.

Have you considered GiantMouse?
I agree with the GM3 recommendation
I'll third that GM3 recommendation
Giantmouse isn't a maker, and Viper/Tecnocut isn't a small shop. Putting that aside, I think the Giantmouse knives are beautiful, but I've never been convinced by the value proposition. I've handled a GM1 ($325) and it basically seems to be a marriage of the design of the Viper Fortis ($220, Voxnaes design) and some of the manufacturing innovation of the Viper Italo ($175). It looks to me like Giantmouse's "innovation" was to (a) produce designs that could be mfg'd by Tecnocut where Voxnaes already knows the mfg'ing parameters deeply; (b) cut a great mfg'ing deal where Tecnocut achieves economies of scale by using the same materials/processes in the Viper line, e.g., the Italo; (c) cut the dealers out of selling a knife that would normally wholesale at a healthy $150; and (d) inflate the retail price from typical $225 up to $325 by building a posh lifestyle brand with flasks and handkerchiefs and artificially constraining the size of the production runs. I'm fine with all of that except for (d). Same reason I can't really take TAD or PDW seriously.

That said, I'll probably wind up buying one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Giantmouse isn't a maker, and Viper/Tecnocut isn't a small shop. Putting that aside, I think the Giantmouse knives are beautiful, but I've never been convinced by the value proposition. I've handled a GM1 ($325) and it basically seems to be a marriage of the design of the Viper Fortis ($220, Voxnaes design) and some of the manufacturing innovation of the Viper Italo ($175). It looks to me like Giantmouse's "innovation" was to (a) produce designs that could be mfg'd by Tecnocut where Voxnaes already knows the mfg'ing parameters deeply; (b) cut a great mfg'ing deal where Tecnocut achieves economies of scale by using the same materials/processes in the Viper line, e.g., the Italo; (c) cut the dealers out of selling a knife that would normally wholesale at a healthy $150; and (d) inflate the retail price from typical $225 up to $325 by building a posh lifestyle brand with flasks and handkerchiefs and artificially constraining the size of the production runs. I'm fine with all of that except for (d). Same reason I can't really take TAD or PDW seriously.

I bought the GM1. I really liked it but as you mentioned, the value just wasn't there, just branding. No lock bar insert and then the Fortis was over $100 less for almost the same knife. I sold mine in the end and haven't regretted it.

TAD is still around? Blast from the past. I remember in the early 2000's when TAD tried to push their gear into the climbing community. Less quality for more $ and branding which didn't work.

They look really good, but I want to see hear some balanced/critical commentary. Am I right that he just shipped his first run?

They've done a few prototypes and recently started a regular run. The regular run started at around serial number 20, so they're not completely new.

Honestly, I don't really have anything critical to say about them or the knife I have. Yes, there are nitpicks, but otherwise the knife is great. Action is among the best I've handled (compares very well against Grimsmo, Shirogorov, Thorburn, etc.). Fit and finish is excellent. The grind is exceptional - super thin behind the edge, as I requested - killer slicer. Customer service is excellent.

If you want nitpicks:
  • Free-spinning pivot with T15 torx holes on both sides.
  • The clip doesn't quite touch the scale such that it acts as a tuning fork when closing the knife. I'll fix this when I get around to disassembling it
  • The blade may be ever so slightly off center. I can probably fix that by adjusting the pivot, when I get around to getting a second T15 bit
  • The grind on the blade might have the slightest amount of recurve - as in, not perfectly straight
The pivot and T15 holes are design decisions with pros and cons. I'm not sure the centering and recurve issues are real - my eyes just might be playing tricks on me. If they're there, we're talking a fraction of a millimeter. I've had much bigger fit and finish issues, and design complaints, with much more expensive knives - both custom and production.

Well, your bottom line is indeed the the bottom line, as price, marketing, branding, lifestyle, etc don't really change the quality of a particular piece. The GM3 may not be a true mid-tech in terms of company ownership, manufacture, or price but the quality of the knife sure fits. I sold my Viper Storm, which is an OK knife, as it wasn't anything like a real Hinderer, but my GM3 sure is a beautiful knife, as you said, and right there with my favorite mid-techs for quality of design and manufacture. I see, though, that it probably doesn't fit your stated parameters for this discussion. :oops:

I see, though, that it probably doesn't fit your stated parameters for this discussion. :oops:
It's okay, we can still love Giantmouse just like any other Silicon Valley based lifestyle brand. It's not a crime! o_O Thanks for your contribution. You've got me thinking again about picking up a Viper Fortis, at least.

Back