Recommendation? Small makers doing high-end production

TAD is still around?
Yup, people lining up to buy variations on the TAD Dauntless at Sebenza prices. No doubt it's a beautiful design, but it's a wacky value proposition. But the funniest thing in the "adventure lifestyle" universe is still PDW's statement about themselves. I'm always afraid they'll take it down, so I'm gonna immortalize it here:
We at Prometheus Design Werx believe in discipline, but make up most of our own rules. That you should know how to start a proper campfire without a match and also safely extinguish it. The difference between a lager and an ale, and packing out what you pack in. Being able to hit a target at 300 yds using iron sights, and knowing that a wild strawberry tastes better than anything bought in a store. How to read a 7.5’ USGS topo map, and helping others to help themselves. When to use a 6pt vs a 12pt socket, and set a broken bone. Working to be responsible stewards of our land and wildlife so that our children may also enjoy them. How to sharpen an axe, tying a figure 8, changing your own oil and properly recycling it, and making a pot of chili from scratch. Knowing that the “golden rule” and a handshake still count for something, and understanding that the true spirit of adventure is a state of heart and mind.

Prometheus Design Werx is represented by this distinct logo. It is comprised of 3 and 6 sided polygons. Each of the elements has a particular meaning. The triangle found in the center of our logo, is the strongest of all shapes, it is the core, hearth, and the alchemical symbol for fire. The three intertwined modified hexagons represent the interconnectivity of both the planned and often unexpected directions in life and enterprise. The outside frame is a six sided polygon and a hybrid shape representing the strength of your "House," and also the shared efficiency of a six sided polygon as found in nature and replicated by man.

It's okay, we can still love Giantmouse just like any other Silicon Valley based lifestyle brand. It's not a crime! o_O Thanks for your contribution. You've got me thinking again about picking up a Viper Fortis, at least.
Any Giantmouse would look extra hip in a desktop photo with the Goat Mug!

That is an interesting mission statement from PDW. Where's the "while listening to a country boy can survive in a broken belt Walkman but still winding it along in perfect tempo with a number 2 pencil" part?

Where's the "while listening to a country boy can survive in a broken belt Walkman but still winding it along in perfect tempo with a number 2 pencil" part?
WrKPhfd.gif

Sacha Theil
Love his stuff. He's underappreciated in the US. But he's not manufacturing his own midtechs to my knowledge, and the rest are custom... no?
Gareth Bull, Berger
These guys are great. I can't find any Gareth Bull knives for sale anywhere, which makes me suspect they're not "production". As for Berger, they're marketed as "custom" but they look like small production to me. But is he making them himself?
Michael Zieba
+1

Last edited:
Gareth Bull is a custom knifemaker. His earlier knives were simple, smallish, knives though so you can sometimes get them at midtech prices -- when you can find one. His later knives seem to be fancier.

They are all, IMHO, frikkin' awesome. :) As long as you buy them second-hand. :)

Gareth Bull is a custom knifemaker. His earlier knives were simple, smallish, knives though so you can sometimes get them at midtech prices -- when you can find one. His later knives seem to be fancier.

They are all, IMHO, frikkin' awesome. :) As long as you buy them second-hand. :)
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gareth-bull-slow-delivery-waitlist-thread.1062108/

I'd recommend getting Trevor Burger knives. Some amazing knives. Pretty sure they are custom but well worth it.

Love his stuff. He's underappreciated in the US. But he's not manufacturing his own midtechs to my knowledge, and the rest are custom... no?

These guys are great. I can't find any Gareth Bull knives for sale anywhere, which makes me suspect they're not "production". As for Berger, they're marketed as "custom" but they look like small production to me. But is he making them himself?

+1
I Have a Thiel Officer V2 and I just love it. My friend and I found a Gareth Bull Shamwari a few days ago after a long search and it should be coming to me tomorrow. It's more fun having these knives from small production
makers. You get the quality and perfection from someone who knows how to make it from scratch. Thiel is still making knives and you can reach him through his website by phone or e-mail.
The direction I am going in is to sell off most of my production knives and start getting small production Mid-techs that are already made. I have learned 2 things from BF One is don't pay upfront and 2 is not to get real customs if you need to go on the books and wait awhile because a lot of horror have turned up here. If it's available and finished I'll buy it if not, call me when it's done. In order to find these knives You need alot of time and patience.

I Have a Thiel Officer V2 and I just love it.
Are these much better than the Spyderco PPT? I love that knife and own two of them, a steal at $160ish, vs €260 for the Officer. Skelton reviewed the Officer and liked it, but found it lackluster for a midtech, whatever that means. Mostly I'm sorry to have missed out on the Thiel Citizen when they were cheap and abundant.

Since this thread is this thread, I gotta ask: Who's making Thiel's midtechs?

Thanks for your perspective on customs. Glad to know I'm not alone on this.

Holt Bladeworks Specter. Don't have mine yet, it should be finished next week, but the ordering process has been a real pleasure. Joe and Angey really seem to care about their products and their customers. Options galore and from the early reports impeccable build quality.

Reactions: Mo2
I watched one video and visited the website and it does look nice. Any other links to those early reports would be appreciated!
Mainly on Instagram so far but mine will be going to Kevin Cleary for review on his YouTube channel before it makes it's way to me.

If Holt interests you at all I'd suggest talking with Joe and Angey, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. It took me quite awhile to decide and at no point did I ever feel pressured to buy.

I Have a Thiel Officer V2 and I just love it. My friend and I found a Gareth Bull Shamwari a few days ago after a long search and it should be coming to me tomorrow. It's more fun having these knives from small production
makers. You get the quality and perfection from someone who knows how to make it from scratch. Thiel is still making knives and you can reach him through his website by phone or e-mail.
The direction I am going in is to sell off most of my production knives and start getting small production Mid-techs that are already made. I have learned 2 things from BF One is don't pay upfront and 2 is not to get real customs if you need to go on the books and wait awhile because a lot of horror have turned up here. If it's available and finished I'll buy it if not, call me when it's done. In order to find these knives You need alot of time and patience.
This is the route I find myself going now as well. Gareth Bull, Sacha Thiel, Michael Zieba, Matt Bailey, Olamic and Peña are all my want list. I have a bit of a Vox fetish as well but I think the closest I'll ever get to one of his customs is a GiantMouse. I have a GMP3 (also reviewed by Kevin Cleary) that I adore.

I have a bit of a Vox fetish as well but I think the closest I'll ever get to one of his customs is a GiantMouse.
Why would you spend $325 on a Viper Fortis? :rolleyes:
Gareth Bull, Sacha Thiel, Michael Zieba, Matt Bailey, Olamic and Peña
That would be a heck of a collection. Aside from Bailey who I don't know, these guys have all made the memorable list for me in the journey of this thread.

Why would you spend $325 on a Viper Fortis? :rolleyes:
I can't speak to the 1 & 2 but the GM3 & GMP3 are great knives. Even though I have the GMP3 I regret selling the GM3. I'm looking forward to seeing in the next week or two what the GM4 is going to be.

That would be a heck of a collection. Aside from Bailey who I don't know, these guys have all made the memorable list for me in the journey of this thread.
I became familiar with Matt Bailey on here, he posts and sells in the knifemaker section.

I forgot about Koenig, the Arius has found it's way on to my radar recently and I'm also intrigued by Clyde Challenor's Talon but that's out the price range

Ummm, it’s my first post on the forums, but could I suggest a dekko at Craig Brown, with his Servo model? Seems to be in line with most, if not all, of your requirements and my experience with the customer service side of things has been exceptional.

Giant mouse is just a production knife made in smaller numbers hence the price. I've heard lots of qc issues with Viper knives too including gm knife models. It is in no way a mid tech. The makers just sell them straight from the manufacturer. In any case, not sure why it's brought up here especially since they appear to be just re designs of other mass produced Viper models with the Vox Anso designs. The higher cost is just due to low production numbers. It's a collectors knife IMHO. Value doesn't even stick on these models.

Olamic on the other hand get blanks cut from fox knives and then do work on them and have a reputation for great quality.

I'm not sure who is making the parts for him but I know that I am happy with the knife. The one I have is a Special order Officer V2. In comparison too many Mid-techs I agree that they are lackluster in looks and the action is pretty tight but part of the reason that I like them is that they don't draw attention. I like the fact that I alone am the one who knows how special it is. Here's a pic.
upload_2018-1-19_9-28-5.jpeg

Are these much better than the Spyderco PPT? I love that knife and own two of them, a steal at $160ish, vs €260 for the Officer. Skelton reviewed the Officer and liked it, but found it lackluster for a midtech, whatever that means. Mostly I'm sorry to have missed out on the Thiel Citizen when they were cheap and abundant.

Since this thread is this thread, I gotta ask: Who's making Thiel's midtechs?

Thanks for your perspective on customs. Glad to know I'm not alone on this.

Back