SMALLS (Traditionals only)

Put a Victoinox quatro or Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver and a P-38 in your wallet and leave the SAK in the car glove box.
I have thought about doing this, but the kids gifted me the recruit this Christmas. It has been in my pocket every day since along with the peanut. The peanut gets all the cutting tasks while the recruit gets the screws and can opening jobs. I had not seen or heard of the Quattro before. I looked at it and like the looks. I used to have a craftsman 4 way but lost it some years back. I guess there is hope for me becoming a 2 knife man. ☺

I have thought about doing this, but the kids gifted me the recruit this Christmas. It has been in my pocket every day since along with the peanut. The peanut gets all the cutting tasks while the recruit gets the screws and can opening jobs. I had not seen or heard of the Quattro before. I looked at it and like the looks. I used to have a craftsman 4 way but lost it some years back. I guess there is hope for me becoming a 2 knife man. ☺

Oh, well, that changes everything. Really everything. With the kids giving you both the recruit and peanut, you are now a two knife man like it or not. Mike, look at me, I'm serious, your kids are watching every time you pull out a pocket knife. I guess it's nigh on impossible at this point to retire or substitute any other pocket knife at this point. These are your kids legacy to you while you all are still here kicking.

Soooo, take all your other pocket knives, oil up the blades and pivots, and wrap them up in some oiled brown paper. Then put them in a box tied up with some nice string twine and put the box on a shelf up in the attic or basement store room. Make the peanut and recruit the only pocket knives carried for both a homage of love and respect for the kids, and the sheer unbeatable utility of a very dynamic duo of pocket knives. Sometimes when something is a gift of a loved one, it is a very special thing. My dad was gifted a little Case peanut from his mother when he left the homestead to go off to college. He was the very first one in his family to go off for any kind of a higher education, coming from some semi poor hard working Irish immigrant watermen on the Chesapeake Bay. He valued that little knife so much, he carried it the rest of his life until as an old man, his arthritic fingers couldn't deal with it to safely open and close it and he retired it for a Christy knife.

Mike, like it or not, fate and your children have made a choice for you. Don't fight it. It's the highest honor you can pay your children. You're a very lucky man to have it all set for you. And the longer you use that peanut and recruit the more your hand will become so used to them they will be like extensions of yourself. You'll figure out how to use 2 inches of blade for almost everything. I remember seeing the old man take a moment to do that. Like when he cut a very thick sub sandwich in half with it.

He turned the sub over and cut through the bottom half of the roll. Then carefully turns it right side up, takes off the top bread and cuts through the meat and cheese. They puts on the top of the sub roll and cut through that lining up with the cuts through the meat. Three cuts, done very neat. The sandwich was way thicker than the length of the peanut blade, but a little careful thought and it didn't matter. Dad sliced it in stages and it was quicker than you think and no big deal. You could say that a peanut is a thinking mans pocket knife. :D

Yes mike, you're a two knife man at this point. Rejoice in it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oh, well, that changes everything. Really everything. With the kids giving you both the recruit and peanut, you are now a two knife man like it or not. Mike, look at me, I'm serious, your kids are watching every time you pull out a pocket knife. I guess it's nigh on impossible at this point to retire or substitute any other pocket knife at this point. These are your kids legacy to you while you all are still here kicking.

Soooo, take all your other pocket knives, oil up the blades and pivots, and wrap them up in some oiled brown paper. Then put them in a box tied up with some nice string twine and put the box on a shelf up in the attic or basement store room. Make the peanut and recruit the only pocket knives carried for both a homage of love and respect for the kids, and the sheer unbeatable utility of a very dynamic duo of pocket knives. Sometimes when something is a gift of a loved one, it is a very special thing. My dad was gifted a little Case peanut from his mother when he left the homestead to go off to college. He was the very first one in his family to go off for any kind of a higher education, coming from some semi poor hard working Irish immigrant watermen on the Chesapeake Bay. He valued that little knife so much, he carried it the rest of his life until as an old man, his arthritic fingers couldn't deal with it to safely open and close it and he retired it for a Christy knife.

Mike, like it or not, fate and your children have made a choice for you. Don't fight it. It's the highest honor you can pay your children. You're a very lucky man to have it all set for you. And the longer you use that peanut and recruit the more your hand will become so used to them they will be like extensions of yourself. You'll figure out how to use 2 inches of blade for almost everything. I remember seeing the old man take a moment to do that. Like when he cut a very thick sub sandwich in half with it.

He turned the sub over and cut through the bottom half of the roll. Then carefully turns it right side up, takes off the top bread and cuts through the meat and cheese. They puts on the top of the sub roll and cut through that lining up with the cuts through the meat. Three cuts, done very neat. The sandwich was way thicker than the length of the peanut blade, but a little careful thought and it didn't matter. Dad sliced it in stages and it was quicker than you think and no big deal. You could say that a peanut is a thinking mans pocket knife. :D

Yes mike, you're a two knife man at this point. Rejoice in it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
It has been a joy just using theses two. Mostly because every time I reach in my pocket for them I think of my kids. The peanut has been such a great knife. I ware large gloves but yet the peanut isn't to small. It cuts everything I need to cut. We had a garrage sale so a lot of my non traditionals got sold. I had no connection to them. My traditionals will go to my kids some day. They stay in the top of my dresser for now. My name might be trappermike but I am a peanut man for life. Dont worry, I will be around hear on the porch hanging out.
P.S.
It is kind of nice being a two knife guy. I dont have to try and choose what knife to carry each day.

Last edited:
The Vic Recruit is a great knife.

Spending some father son time in the wood shop with our peanuts ready to sharpen pencils, trim splinters, or what ever else we might need our knives for.
BcuKQub.jpg

I know what you mean. Some of my best memories are times I spent with my boys teaching them "Man Stuff". Sorry ladies, but you know what I mean :oops:
I do know what you mean. I have good memories of growing up on the farm and the things my dad and grandpa handed down to me. Now it's my privilege to do the same for my kids.

Small knives I do like, but they are tricky in proportions. Too small and it's toy-like, too thick it's clumsy. Apart from the 33 Conductor which is not that small 3 3/8" I don't feel GEC has mastered the small knife and lately I've gone off the 25 a bit, it's borderline clumsy...

Winchester's Black Box Small Gunstock is a really credible small unobtrusive carry at 3 " I don't usually like Gunstocks but the small type is different: great snap, nail nicks both sides and I favour Spears for this frame, looks better. You must judge.

TODLpmE.jpg

GV95CdC.jpg

Thanks! I got mine from the Bay but they do seem scarce, I could do with another Teardrop to have as a user. My cat is a patient creature, I shall try to emulate her:cool::D

Will your gunstock just looks right, nice pic! Spear points go well on the gunstock frames and I like the Rodgers bone used on the Black Box Winchesters (when they can be found). Hope you located another teardrop while emulating your cat.:)

Small knives I do like, but they are tricky in proportions. Too small and it's toy-like, too thick it's clumsy. Apart from the 33 Conductor which is not that small 3 3/8" I don't feel GEC has mastered the small knife and lately I've gone off the 25 a bit, it's borderline clumsy...

Winchester's Black Box Small Gunstock is a really credible small unobtrusive carry at 3 " I don't usually like Gunstocks but the small type is different: great snap, nail nicks both sides and I favour Spears for this frame, looks better. You must judge.

TODLpmE.jpg

GV95CdC.jpg

Have you tried an #18 Beagle or #22 Magnum? I think they nailed those.

TODLpmE.jpg

GV95CdC.jpg
I keep coming back to this.

TODLpmE.jpg

GV95CdC.jpg

Great knife. Nice pics

I completely.agree and love the spear for work.

I wasn't totally happy when mine arrived, big Winchester BB fan. The covers are lighter in color than compared to my others, but the it was the size that through me, so petite. Was expecting it to be more in size to its coffin jack brother...don't know why, I read the specs..

Really learned to appreciate it's size..the f+f is outstanding and it is a pretty chestnut brown.

ndXAbpo.jpg

I think others have posted this one, but this is one of the best lightweight SMALLS that I have for EDC... the Schrade+ SP2. Nothing fancy, but there for you when you need it ;)
View attachment 949190
I gifted a green one of these to a coworker a couple years ago. He is definitely not a knife guy but loved this little knife. I still get to sharpen it for him from time to time.

Back