SMALLS (Traditionals only)

This thread has caused my appreciation for smalls to grow substantially. Thanks to all for the wonderful contributions which I hope will continue for a long time to come. A special thanks to Will Power for posting his Winchester Gunstock. Will Power Will Power - Your (following) post caused me to discover that a 3" Winchester suits me very, very well indeed. Thank you Will, you are an expert... enabler!!:);)
Small knives I do like, but they are tricky in proportions. Too small and it's toy-like, too thick it's clumsy. Apart from the 33 Conductor which is not that small 3 3/8" I don't feel GEC has mastered the small knife and lately I've gone off the 25 a bit, it's borderline clumsy...

Winchester's Black Box Small Gunstock is a really credible small unobtrusive carry at 3 " I don't usually like Gunstocks but the small type is different: great snap, nail nicks both sides and I favour Spears for this frame, looks better. You must judge.

TODLpmE.jpg

GV95CdC.jpg
Very nice Gunstock Will!! I'll be keeping my eye out for one of those.
and it didn't take long...

A 30 Year Old Winchester Gunstock with Spear Point and Rogers Bone :thumbsup::thumbsup:
gv3Oz9o.jpg

Great stuff redsparrow redsparrow Glad you're delighted, but I'm only a pointer;) As we know, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink:D I could use another of those Gunstocks too as an EDC :cool:but my wells have run dry...:(

Have you tried an #18 Beagle or #22 Magnum? I think they nailed those.

Could be, interesting. 22 I've never been able to find unfortunately, Beagle didn't interest me as I have the 18 single blade and it's never left its toyhouse;) sorry, tube!:rolleyes:

Great stuff redsparrow redsparrow Glad you're delighted, but I'm only a pointer;) As we know, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink:D I could use another of those Gunstocks too as an EDC :cool:but my wells have run dry...:(

Good analogy Will, but it might be said that you fed the horse oats that made him thirsty.;):)
Seems just as I found the black box Winchesters the supply ran out. I had plans to pick up a few but price skyrocketed putting them out of reach and now they are becoming more scarce. I will keep an eye open for a gunstock with you in mind my friend. Have a great weekend.

Here's a Schatt Small Muskrat single spring I got in 2014.
Pros: good F&F, great snap, no blade rub, near sunk joints, tight construction. Bone is good too.
Cons: I CANNOT get any edge on either blade! It's 420 stainless but behaves more like D2..simply won't sharpen at all? Never understood this.o_O Shame indeed

S0sS5zy.jpg

mAZnKHA.jpg

t
I've started this thread with the idea that others would join in expressing their satisfaction with small knives. . . .. join in and show those little knives in your collections and in proclaiming the joy and satisfaction with the Smalls.

Until now I didn't have the photo I wanted to post but today I took one for another thread and so it is natural I repost it here.
The small Buck was one of my Dad's last EDCs he carried. He always carried small slip joints . . . distressingly small in my view . . . I once bought him a nice middle size SAK for Christmas with my first real paycheck (probably an Explorer). He returned it for some little tiny thing. He was a butch union Steam Fitter but just didn't want a large knife banging around in his pocket I guess.
. . . anyway this little Buck was all he needed.
PS : I find the 1110 a bit much for pocket carry but I'm still not ready to go this small either.
IMG_5386.jpg

Wowbagger Wowbagger ,

That's what I always found so funny. The young guy can never understand why the old man carries such a small knife. You didn't understand your dad, I didn't understand why my old man carried a peanut. My Godson can't figure put why his dad carries a itty bitty SAK classic.

Maybe it's a universal generational thing. Or maybe it's age related experience that you can only appreciate from living and surviving a long enough time that you figure out what yo really don't need. Like Chuck Yeager going into the Sierra Nevada mountains for two weeks with a Victorinox executive.

It's the old guy with a penknife thing!:D

Back