Recommendation? So you've Got $1500 to Spend - Which Folder and Why?

Okay, I was reading through the advice thread and this was brought up inadvertently. So let's hear the suggestions (if we pretend that it's available somewhere) and say why you think it's solid advice. Thanks and I hope this goes somewhere. šŸ˜

Sharp By Design Void XL - the overall design intrigues me, dual opening methods, and Brianā€™s exquisite machiningā€¦Iā€™ve never owned or handled one but thatā€™s my answer

Hmmm that's a tough one which could be answered in many ways. Due to current tastes I'd have to second the Marifone Custom though $1500 likely wouldn't be enough given which models/variations I'd go for so would then vote for a Rockstead, probably a Shin or something.

This full Ti Demko AD10... shoulda just jumped on it...

ADKAD10TI_01.jpg

Only because it's legitimately overbuilt for a folding knife with a strong pivot, blade stop, and lock but still with enough contours to be svelte and comfortable to use. Though, only change would be a different steel.

I wouldn't feel comfortable spending and carrying a $1500, $1k, or $750 knife. I'd have to spread the cash around. Plus I'd get to try a few different brands.

Spyderco Military S110V = $225
Spyderco Endura ZDP-189 = $133
Benchmade Adamas Cruwear = $240
Lionsteel TM1 = $200
----------------------------------------------------
$798

CZ P-07 3.75" 15rd 9mm =$640
Then the remaining $62 on a holster for it.

I have my CPL and I'd like a try a CZ.

Tashi
Thornburn
Zieba
GTC
maybe: Savidan, Mayo, Blomerus...
some of these guys you may have to looked used
I think all these guys are solid and you get what you pay for.
Bharucha might be hard to find. Thornburn is well, Thornburn and his pattern knives are around 1k. Zieba's stuff just appeals to me even though he might not be totally custom; his laser etched stuff rocks. Cecchini is sort of hit or miss for me but once you see one you like...tank-like but elegant. Savidan has some nice designs, Mayo was the first custom I wanted. Blomerus might be the best deal right now. In fact there are a bunch of SA smiths following the lead of Thornburn and their stuff looks really good.
Wouldn't mind a Lee Williams but...
BTW, if you are going $1500, you may as well just step up and get something you really want no matter the price.

1. Holt Spectre, bolster lock like the one Nick Shabazz has, it's discontinued so that makes it much more desirable/collectable
2. Any Shirogorov, spend the remaining money to have a custom caged-bearing made, I hate loose bearings.

If I had to spend it all on a knife? An Alan Davis custom.

If I actually had $1500? $900 to repair my SUV, a flight to Texas to visit my grandma at Thanksgiving, and maybe a new watch.

Full custom.

Right now, and for any future that I can see, my price limit is $150, because that's the most I feel comfortable spending on a knife which I would not be afraid to carry, use, and inevitably get scratches on. A 10X increase in that price limit implies a 10X increase in my own pay rate, which, if not Los Angeles attorney money, is at least Philadelphia attorney money.

Does it have to be a folder? I probably would buy a custom (or high quality) katana or something similar, something to house-ninja with and hang.

Even if 1500 popped up out of nowhere, I still wouldn't use the knife I bought with it. In fact, I'd probably buy it then sell it to get the money back lol.

Folder? Maybe an ultimate custom Newport? All the other bling folders (like the william henries) I think are pretty ugly and crazy looking. Maybe a full custom Dirac Delta, that would be awesome.

Of maybe, I'm just a cheapass...

I would wait for CRK to relase MagnaCut models, and would be very happy to keep the remaining for other sharp objects :)

Reactions: 353
Back