Sodbuster...and lots of them!

That is probably the best looking blade I've seen that has been sharpened that much! If it's not to thick from being that high up the blade, I bet it would be an excellent slicer!
It was super easy to sharpen and shaves hair after a few minutes with my Spyderco Sharpmaker. It is a little thicker up near the top of the blade, but I was surprised at how well it slices. I had been using it in the kitchen until my wife banished it. It now resides in my garage toolbox where it handles garage and yard chores.

H1E1uE1.jpg

It's been too long since I've posted in these parts so I figured that I would show my favorite pattern some love.

Nothing new here. Of course the jewel of the group is the Tortoise Shell Bull Nose SFO by the late Bob Andrews

K4omeTj.jpg

Bob and I traded two of each other's SFOs when we ran them a couple of years ago. I think it was his first SFO with GEC, he was really excited about them, as was I. I'm glad I have a few to remember him by.

Here's my newest Sodbuster, a Maserin Plow in Bocote wood and D2 steel from CK.

h9Xruiw.jpg

vEymn4S.jpg

iaw83Sr.jpg

Now, as Mike has already explained, the F&F on these isn't the best; there are gaps between the spring and the liners, the spine of the blade sits well below the back of the spring when the knife is open, and out of the box the action was very gritty. But the Bocote wood looks really nice, the action smoothed out a lot with just a couple shots of Ballistol (decided to go with that instead of mineral oil for an initial flush, which I think worked out well), and the factory edge is razor sharp. All in all, I think this will be a sweet little slicer, and it's hard to complain about the price, especially for D2 steel. :thumbsup:

I have a mess of Case soddies in route to the house to add to the collection! I'll be posting some pics in the next week of the new additions as well as some others that I've been meaning to snap pics of. The yellow bone Moore Makers are up to the top of my favorite handle of all my soddies.

Back