SOG sheath

Hi, My names Patrick and I am new to this forum. I joined because this seemed to be the best SOG forum on the web. I primarly buy, sell and trade Randall made knives (never use them). I love SOG knives and if I could only have one knife for a (user) it would definetly be a SOG. At the time, I have 4 SOG's and they was all absolutely razor sharp when I bought them. But the the sheaths ......are a different story. My first SOG was a Bowie 1 Sterile that had the stone pocket sewn on crooked. I ended up taking it to a boot shop and having a new front sewed on and dyed black. I just received my new Seal Pup yesterday, a perfect knife for backpacking, but the sheath is a piece of poop. I do not know what to do. I love the knife but I can not live with the sheath. I really don't feel like spending more than I paid for the knife to have a custom sheath made. Does SOG or anybody else make a nylon sheath for these fine knives? I'd just as soon leave the Tupperware home for my wife.:grumpy:
Patrick

I feel your pain. The sheath which came with my SOG awhile back was terrible. Trying to justify buying a new sheath when your new knife already came with one can be a little difficult. I finally broke down and bought a sheath from http://survivalsheath.com. It was well worth it. Great sheath. I know I have seen some nylon sheaths for Seal Pups on the internet, but I don't remember where. I'm sure some other people on this forum can point you in the right direction.

Nice looking sheaths, but once again the sheath costs more than what I paid for the knife. Difficult to justify for 2 layers of plastic riveted together.

there is no substitute for a quality sheath.
Personally, I prefer custom sheaths for my knives- most factory sheaths I have seen just dont cut it.

Have you considered one of the Specops sheaths? they are supposed to be of high quality, and you can mould the liner to fit your blade.

Hi. I'm Bill, and just joined the forum. It is interesting to see that I'm not the only S.O.G. owner with sheath problems.

I received my new Recon Bowie last week. It had been carefully packed for packaging and shipping, and arrived a flawless piece.

The sheath had a nearly five inch wide belt loop, so it was immediately obvious that another sheath would be necessary for an acceptable self defense carry. Nonetheless I placed it on my belt and wore it for a couple of hours.

Later, while admiring the beautiful new aquisition, I saw that the head of the rivet that attached the retention strap of the sheath had scratched the beautiful brass crossguard! The rivet head was not recessed and rode against the brass.......

I had expected , i guess, to eventually scratch the weapon, but surely did not expect it to be damaged immediately by it's sheath. It's ironic for such a piece of junk to be sent with such a great blade.

Can anyone reccomend a good leather sheathmaker, please? It is my fear that Kydex would further scratch my bowie. Any input?

Thanks.

I've got several SOG fixed blades as well and I also hate the sheaths. I emailed SOG the other day to see if they had a nylon sheath available for the government agent. (Mine kydex is warped and gouged out pretty bad) They said that they didn't have one at the time, but that one was under development. I love SOG knives, but I'm going to try another brand for my next fixed blade due to their sheath problems.

The sheaths for me are a deal breaker, I'm in the market for a large sheath knife and fancy a Tigershark or 2000, but the sheaths....... I think SOG should headhunt the Cold Steel sheath designer! Their kydex don't scratch the blades and you can get them out and they fit your belt!!!!

Boody said:
I love SOG knives, but I'm going to try another brand for my next fixed blade due to their sheath problems.

Another SOG sheath Thread:(

Either SOG doesn't get it: Or they don't care.

I have lost more SOG sales because of their crappy sheaths than I can count on both hands.

They have to be aware of the problem, because they have reps moderating this Forum.

I can't imagine that they don't care. Thinking from a business prospective, I would say most people buy their knives for the the blade and not the sheath. There are worse sheaths out there. Maybe they could come up with a line of sheaths for their fixed blades that would sell as an after market item or some smart young man could come up with a design, get it made in China (like everyone else does these days), and sell it here. Sounds like an opportunity to me! I would envision a line of leather and nylon sheaths. The nylon sheaths that are provided by such companies as Gerber are pretty serviceable.

If you go to SOG web page FAQ the first 3 FAQ (complaints) are on the sheaths. SOG is aware of the sheath problems, but it's probably cheaper to make a plastic sheath than a nylon sheath. As for me, I could live with the plastic sheath if they did not have a cut in the side with the blade exposed and a rubber band holding the knive in the sheath.

I normally don't get in to the "sheath" discussions too much but feel I should give my opinion, along with everyone else.......... :p

SOG is producing my knife...now called the Revolver. I am very happy with it's sheaths.

They are not perfect, but they stay secure on my belt, keep the Revolver in place and protect me from the Revolver blade.

I have looked at ALL the other SOG sheaths and really don't see what the problem is with any of them.

Is there anyway someone can help me understand exactly what the problems are with each model ?

Example: SEAL 2000 sheath has..............these problems......:confused:

If these problems are described and pinpointed, then the forum moderators might better understand and then pass this info. along to SOG.

Just a thought...........:D

Robbie Roberson ;)

ok robbie seal 2000 problems : its poor quallity , i cant remove my knife from it any sort of quick , i don`t like its construction , i hate the way it sits on my belt , it has no lashing hole at the bottom so i can tie it to my leg , and the kydex scratches the knife.

Thank you SIRGALANT ! :D

I am sure if some of these complaints are explained in detail, then it might make it easier and possibly quicker for the people at SOG to correct if they can.

I do know for a fact that the owner, Spencer Frazer cares very much about quality and fine knives.

Hopefully this will help.............:D

Robbie Roberson

he cares more about whats cheaper to produce then he cares about what customers actually want

Robbie Roberson said:
SOG is producing my knife...now called the Revolver. I am very happy with it's sheaths.

Robbie - Perfect example of a good sheath - Your Hunter Revolver sheath is top grade, and one I am not ashamed to show a customer.:)

The sheaths for the Seal Pups & Pentagon are really my point of contention - You have been around knives enough to know when you sheath a knife, whether it feels secure - These don't. And the new belt attachments cetainly could be more secure. I judge the sheaths, when a customer hands a sheath back to me, shakes his head, and walks off.

The sheath for your Revolver Hunter shows they know how to make a decent sheath; but, I can't help feeling that these other sheaths are the result of them trying to cut costs.

These are great knives, that deserve better.

I have been beating this horse to long ~ Time for me to get off.

Theoldawg, thanks for the compliment, the leather sheath is a good one for the Hunter I agree.

Even though I don't work for SOG, it saddens me to hear that people don't like certain things about their products.

I have also paid enough attention to the public opinions about SOG products on these forums to know that there has been things said about the sheaths that were not exactly positive........:eek:

Exactly what can be done about this I really don't have the answer.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Back