SOG sheath

In defense of SOG at least for '06 there are new sheaths in line for the 2k, pup and pup elite.

Tactical Nylon Sheath

Try on these new military carry sheaths that will be standard issue with the SEAL Pup,
SEAL Pup Elite, and the larger SEAL Knife 2000. Input from our tactical advisors
indicated that military departments are changing their uniforms and requirements
for attaching hardware. We took this information and designed something
new in knife carry. These ballistic nylon sheaths have an all weather cover
to protect their cargo from sand, dust, moisture, and do it quietly. Don’t
want the cover, flip it around and attach behind the sheath with the quick
release. Our secondary pouch on the front allows you to complete
your gear with a SOG multi-tool or folder. The modular mounting
system on the back is the most versatile possible; military belts,
MOLLE type applications, belts, vests, etc. are all easily mounted to
quickly and securely.

Hopefully more will be on it's way.

Cheers!

yeah spencer frazer clearly doesnt want to wake up and smell the roses. i`ll keep buying the knives however , i`ll just leave the sheaths in the draw where they belong , or throw them in the bin where they REALLY belong

If SOG has decided to cut corners on sheaths, having sheaths that actually damage the knives, when will they decide to cut corners on the quality of their knives?

I was so pleased when I received my Recon Bowie, only to quickly be horrified by the damage the sheath caused. A rivet head scratched the crossguard brass, and the ill fit wore the blade's blueing. So quickly!

My desire to collect SOG knives has diminished due to the feeling of being betrayed. When one buys a quality knife, it doesn't seem unusual to expect a quality sheath.

I like sog knives and they are the biggest seller (of knives) in the shop I manage. However I think the quality of the sheaths has been getting worse and worse. To my mind the new kydex sheaths are crap. They look cheap and I have had several complaints of them breaking. I wish Sog would bring back the old cordura style sheaths

g`day buckethead , for every single sog knife i have ever bought , not one has ever gone in the kydex sheath . i just keep them in a draw and take them out when i want to use them. ignore the steath and you have a great knife , so thats what i do , ignore the sheath.

thats a good one mate , but it would taste all CHEAP and PLASTICKY !!! are you listening spencer?

Guess you're right, friend. Am thinking that it would carry well in a nearly horizantal cross-draw.....

Am thinking about consulting with Dix Leatherworks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi there, i had a Seal Pup, my first SOG purchase, until i found that the knife moved in the sheath alot causing noise which you certainley don't want in certain situations.

I sold it and bought a CS Recon tanto instead :).

well , i would love a back sheath , in leather , one that mounts it horizontally , especially for my pentagon , but i live in australia and that seems nigh impossible .

i suppose i could have someone in america make it for me then import it , but the cost would probably be too great.

pentagon05.jpg

When I first obtained a SOG Pentagon, I loved the knife -- and I detested the factory sheath, which was an attempt to be too many things at once and did none of them well. This was not a problem, as I had Bob Humelbaugh at Survival Sheath make a new sheath for me:

pentagon02.jpg

I forgot about the whole matter (there are always other products to review) until, recently, a friend of mine ordered a new Pentagon through my online store. When it came in and I checked it before dropping it off with him, I was surprised to discover the sheath was very different.

Gone was the giant boot-belt sheath from before. In its place was a minimalist Kydex/Concealex-type model that was as slim as possible. It still had a belt attachment that I didn't like, but it was simply screwed on with Blade-Tech hardware. I promptly removed it.

pentagonredux03.jpg

pentagonredux04.jpg

Recently I went to Blade-Tech.com and ordered several Tek-Loks and clips with extra hardware, as you never know when these will optimize an otherwise unworkable Kydex or Concealex Sheath. (Such was the case with my CRKT Hissatsu -- I didn't like the belt flange attachment it shipped with, but when I replaced this with a tek-lok, the whole thing begcame a good carry package.)

I chose, for my Pentagon, one of the clips. This is a plastic flange with Tek-Lok hardware mounting holes that can be affixed to anything a Tek-Lok would fit. It transformed my SOG's sheath into a handy inside-the-waistband model.

pentagonredux07.jpg

pentagonredux06.jpg

pentagonredux05.jpg

I'm extremely pleased with the new setup and will be again carrying my Pentagon.

pentagonredux01.jpg

pentagonredux02.jpg

SIRGALANT said:
thanks phil , but to me it will still be lousy kydex

Really a properly constructed, & fitted kydex sheath will cause minimal damage.

I doubt if those Phil is using in the above post, cause any damage to the polished blade of the Pentagon.

i have a cold steel para edge , and that has a beautiful kydex sheath , with absolutely none of the problems the sog kydex sheaths have.

I own many Kydex sheaths and have not experienced any problems with the knives in them. This is because the steel of the blade is much harder than the Kydex material.

Leather will dull a blade if the edge is repeatedly drawn through it; so will cardboard, ABS plastic, thick wads of paper, and wool, for crying out loud. It's a question of time and repetition. Unless the sheath for your knife is made of diamond or you've put together one welded from sheetmetal, your knife is in no danger.

Personally, I love Kydex; it holds up better than leather, doesn't trap moisture the way leather and nylon will, and protects me from the blade of my own knife better than flexible materials. Now, yes, conventional wisdom is that if you get some grit in there, you'll mar the finish of the blade -- but what's the point of owning a knife that isn't used? You'll mar the blade in almost any use over time. I don't believe in owning "safe queens."

every single knife i own is potentially a user , i like kydex but i hate SOGS kydex. i see your point , and , i don`t care if my knives get scratched , but when you`ve paid how much i`ve had to pay to to be able to just go out and buy a sog knife you expect a good sheath with it.

Back