Some new ideas for HI

I called the above billhooks "Italian" simply because they are made in Italy; no claims made about design provenance :).

Here are two examples from their 6 pages of "double edge billhooks":

pen56.jpg

pen36.jpg

Imagine these in HI chiruwa style with typical flared end of handle.

Here are links to some "Made in Brazil" billhooks:

http://www.tramontina.com.br/products/category/2780-sickles-and-grass-hooks

http://www.bellotto.com.br/en/ferramentas.php

one of the main utilities i've always though of a brushhook was a relatively easily replaceable pole handle to extended length as needed. a fixed handle would bring these back into the realm of various choppers and items similiar to what Condor supplies for pennies on the dollar (ie: might not be feasible to make)

Bladite

...a fixed handle would bring these back into the realm of various choppers and items similiar to what Condor supplies for pennies on the dollar (ie: might not be feasible to make)

Bladite

True, though the HI parangs, jungle knives, and Annapurna bowies seem to find buyers despite cheaper alternatives.

True, though the HI parangs, jungle knives, and Annapurna bowies seem to find buyers despite cheaper alternatives.

It's not comparable. HI is hand made, and from a better steel. There's a difference between molded plastic and factory made 1075 in Brazil and hand forged pieces of art from Nepal.

Great Knives, I can't wait kamis to make few replica's of these models
Thank you Howard

Last edited:
I like the name "The Uncle Billhook".

Thinking more about design, it seems that the thicker forged HI steel wouldn't need such a big blade area as some of the thin cheaper versions.

I like this double-edge shape because most of the metal is at the head, and the short back edge can be thicker and convex, to chop like an axe, while the curved hooked edge can be thinner (with the straight portion near the handle having a razor-sharp edge for slicing).

pen36.jpg

(Source: http://www.leonelliattrezzi.com/index_en.html)

The handle could be full tang chiruwa style. And don't forget the cho.:D

Traditional Bill Hooks in Nepal have no "Cho" and tend to the single edge, simple hook variety. Just for the sake of argument. :) Personally, I have had both types, the kind I still have and those like the one in Steve's post. The rear edge tends to get in the way of your use more than it proves useful in my experience. I personally don't want and edge or pointy thing facing me when I am swinging things or even carrying it because I am clumsy. :eek: I tend to hurt myself with the extra edges and points more often than not.

...I personally don't want and edge or pointy thing facing me when I am swinging things or even carrying it because I am clumsy. :eek: I tend to hurt myself with the extra edges and points more often than not.

Yes, double-edged tools (like a double bit axe) have more safety issues. You cannot safely park one in a stump, for instance. Safe carrying can be problematic without a sheath.

My cho comment was made while visualizing the cho in the AK Bowie.:)

two words Boarding Axe
like this:

1884.21.57.jpg

Could even sell without the handle, if necessary

Last edited:
I still like yours better. May i ask where do you get it?

The utilikilt store in Seattle.

I have a couple of workmen models like the one in your picture, one for when I'm fat and one for when I'm slightly less fat. That is a great kilt. It is very durable. The only drawback to the workman is the rough fabric can be somewhat abrasive to tender organs during long hikes.

Back