Some SAK love

I don't see a lot about Swiss Army knives here in the traditional forum. Is it that they don't really belong here? Is the handle material not traditional enough, or is it that they are not truly traditional knives by definition? I really like mine, the pioneer being one of my favorite patterns. What are your thoughts, your favorite pattern... and post em if you got em

SH09thU.jpg

I think it's probably because there's also a separate Bladeforums subforum for Swiss army knives (and multi-tools) so most of the discussion goes to the more specialized forum. If you want to start a club thread like there is for peanuts, lambsboot, and jacks, this might be the perfect recruitment logo ;)

(I scanned it from an old Victorinox dealer catalog and pricelist)

Last edited:
People post about SAKs over in the multitool forum. Everyone loves a SAK, especially there. [emoji4]

Alex

SAKs are kinda ubiquitous. So many people have them, and they are well-loved here. But they're usually not covered in mouth-froth from the rabid mad-grabs that GEC's limited production numbers inspire, so there's less forumsexy about them. Also, they're super consistent. My first ever pocket knife was an SAK classic wearing Philadelphia Eagles covers. I still have it, it's 24 years old. I should take a picture one day...

I've got a Waiter on the way, should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I wanted a Cadet, but I need a toothpick, and I didn't want the extra width of the Recruit, and I happened to have a dealer coupon that made it almost free, less the shipping. I'm more excited about that thing than I have been about a GEC in a while.

You see them often enough in the "what trad are you carrying today" thread.
Saturday I found a four-layer Vic with a grey-framed magnifier (one of my most-used tools these days I'm afraid). My other one is seven layers; this is much more compact. It looks like somebody took the toothpick and tweezers and never used the knife.

Last edited:
I see a lot of SAK love here, it is hard not to like such an iconic knife. I got my son a SAK for his first pocket knife and he absolutely loves it.

8uvQIeI.jpg

I also have a Victorinox Swiss Tool which is my favorite of the numerous ones I have in my possession.

I've always considered my SAKs to be "knives"; the word "multitool" brings Leathermans and their ilk to mind.

IMHO, if the various scout knives are considered "traditional," then SAKs should be as well. Here are a few of mine. The one at the bottom left turns 54 this year (as will I).

D4695EAD-07E5-4D82-8C68-8F08A1D6FCEE_zpsdf9hlars.jpg

Jake, WOW!!! Wonderful presentation!

Here is an older picture of a Alox vera plant.
swaybacksteve, looks like a bumper crop again this year!!! You're a shoe in for the 4H blue ribbon, congratulations!

powernoodle, great photos!!! You do like your SAKs!

Here's one of Victorinox's newer designs.

Great thread :thumbup: I have 5 or 6 SAK's and have had many over the years but I have found the Farmer is my favorite particularly the blue alox version. I had two and gave one to a friend here on the Porch. I kept one for my personal use I just wish they had scissors then they would be perfect.

jLvug6z.jpg

33lmds5.jpg
[/IMG]

This is my favorite of the breed, the Compact. There's a tool for just about any need in this thing, and it's eminently pocketable. I take this with me whenever I travel. (Stock photo, not my knife)

Pàdruig;16816586 said:
I see a lot of SAK love here, it is hard not to like such an iconic knife. I got my son a SAK for his first pocket knife and he absolutely loves it.

8uvQIeI.jpg

I also have a Victorinox Swiss Tool which is my favorite of the numerous ones I have in my possession.

Now there's a happy camper ! :thumbup: :)

My very first knife was a green Vic Classic, because that's what my Dad carried; still is what my dad carries, actually. I got it for Christmas when I was around 10, and then lost it on a roller coaster the following spring. Replaced it as soon as I could and have been carrying one ever since. I carried a Wenger Handyman for decades and within the past year, switched to a Wenger Tradesman with the clip point blade switched out for a nail file. It's not any thicker than the Handyman and the pliers are way more useful than the wood saw.

Old Handyman:
2016.07.08%20SAK%20Handyman%20clean%20IMG_1993-orig_zpsmoufssim.jpg

Tradesman:
63841BC3-C108-41A2-BE7D-4221321B0050_zpsq5bpifke.jpg

(with apologies for boring, unscenic photos :eek:)

I have others I like and carry and use, but Handyman and Tradesman are my main staples.

I've never had an Alox SAK. I love all of the bright color options, but I've always been kind of put off by how they end up looking as the color wears off. I saw the one with scissors the other day, though, and I'm very tempted.

Well put Traum. They are just so utilitarian, yet functional. Sexy does not come to mind when talking about them.
SAKs are kinda ubiquitous. So many people have them, and they are well-loved here. But they're usually not covered in mouth-froth from the rabid mad-grabs that GEC's limited production numbers inspire, so there's less forumsexy about them. Also, they're super consistent. My first ever pocket knife was an SAK classic wearing Philadelphia Eagles covers. I still have it, it's 24 years old. I should take a picture one day...

I've got a Waiter on the way, should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I wanted a Cadet, but I need a toothpick, and I didn't want the extra width of the Recruit, and I happened to have a dealer coupon that made it almost free, less the shipping. I'm more excited about that thing than I have been about a GEC in a while.

Back