Some SAK love

A couple of mine with metal handles; the red Farmer stays in my vehicle as a "just in case" knife. OH

Victorinox_Farmer_-_Red_ALOX_1_.JPG

IMG_53783.JPG

Nice knives, guys :thumbup:

Here are a couple of oldies. Wenger "Tahara" (top) and Victorinox "Victoria" (bottom)

Here's my classic sd from boy scouts. I've had this about 20 years and honestly haven't used it very much. I would like to get some more SAK's after viewing y'alls posts.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

And don't you know, SAK's have outstanding walk and talk, on the cam tangs and on the half-stop tools. F&F isn't on par with GEC, but the blades come use-ably sharp, and they seem more consistent and better-finished than Case or Queen by a considerable margin.

Not sure about that, they might not have the extra design features but the F&F is utterly reliable/consistent and the walk and talk considerably better than my GEC's.

What the heck - I'll revive this thread (its only a few weeks old). Today I was looking at a few current/recent production traditionals, mainly GECs. Whew ! Glad I bought mine awhile ago. Prices have gone way up. - - These are fine production knives & I like mine. But, I was reminded of the SAKs that I carry and use every day. I often carry a Vic Fieldmaster. Because of the various blades and tools onboard, it has far more utility than my GECs. It also goes for about 1/3 of the money. It may not seem to be 'special', but there's a lot to be said for a good tool, well made, at a good price.

My three SAK's.

I've been carrying a SAK pretty steady since 1969, and it's one of my very favorite pocket knives. A SAK is mope than a pocket knife, it's a pocket size solution to those little problems that life likes to through in our path.

The fit and finish on a SAK is second to none when it comes to predictability. It's the one brand of knife that I can fly someplace, stop at a big box store and buy a SAK, and I know that odds are it's going tone exactly like any other SAK. No thumbnail busting springs, it's going to be very sharp and ready for use, and not cost a lot so I can gift it off when I fly home. For many years now, the SAK has been my go-to travel knife when flying. No matter where I go, I know I can have a good knife on me.

I love my tinker, I adore my old Wenger SI. But my favorite SAK is the little classic in the keyring sheath. It's been everywhere for the past twenty years, and it's felt with small flat and Phillips screws, snipped things with the scissors, and the tweezers has felt with in infinite splinters and other things. I used to think the tiny classic was a joke, but it took my better half to show me that I was very wrong.

Last edited:
SAKs are kinda ubiquitous. So many people have them, and they are well-loved here. But they're usually not covered in mouth-froth from the rabid mad-grabs that GEC's limited production numbers inspire, so there's less forumsexy about them. Also, they're super consistent. My first ever pocket knife was an SAK classic wearing Philadelphia Eagles covers. I still have it, it's 24 years old. I should take a picture one day...

I've got a Waiter on the way, should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I wanted a Cadet, but I need a toothpick, and I didn't want the extra width of the Recruit, and I happened to have a dealer coupon that made it almost free, less the shipping. I'm more excited about that thing than I have been about a GEC in a while.

Such true words!

SAK's are probably the most under estimated pocket knives on the planet.

Such true words!

SAK's are probably the most under estimated pocket knives on the planet.

I just got my first Alox about a week ago, a pioneer. Again, I'm kinda blown away by the quality. I would add to my "forumsexy" note that, while the fit and finish is on par with GEC, they don't quite have the same soul, and so that might be the appeal. They wouldn't keep me from owning a GEC, but I would proffer that the Pioneer is all the pocket tool I'd ever need and probably then some.

For many of us, SAKs fill the role that pocket knives did for our fathers and grandfathers. Men from those past eras didn't drool over their pocket knives; they didn't obsess over them. They weren't afraid to get them dirty or put them to use. If they broke or got lost (they took care of their possessions, so that happened rarely) - they got another one. They sure didn't 'collect' them. That would seem as unusual as collecting claw hammers or screw drivers today.
After coming across this thread, I pulled out my Vic Fieldmaster from my pocket. I used a citrus based solvent to clean off the gummy tape build up from opening many boxes. I sharpened the two blades, putting a razor edge on them with only a few minutes effort. Looking over the knife afterwards, I noticed the excellent fit & finish. We take that for granted in SAKs. Its far from true with many traditional factory knives costing a lot more.
I like many different knives, but SAKs are knives that I always carry & use - - even while carrying others at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have far too many knives, and eagerly await the issue of most new GEC, especially Northwoods editions. However, I would take a SAK Trekker or Farmer for its utility over all the other knives I have.

@marsturm - I hear ya. I look at the new GECs and thoroughly enjoy the ones I own. But when I see a single blade GEC goes for about the same as three of my favorite SAKs (with more than triple the practical utility of the GEC) . . . well, it makes me reconsider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Camper with a set of copper scales.
I soaked them overnight in peroxide and vinegar to achieve a small bit of green patina.
Upside of the aftermarket scales is that it added a ballpoint pen and straight pin in addition to the toothpick and tweezers.
One of these days I'll get it outside in the sun for a quality picture.
3f43e6cf53617ebd8d3f989a158fb8b7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

But they're usually not covered in mouth-froth from the rabid mad-grabs that GEC's limited production numbers inspire, so there's less forumsexy about them.

That is such a great sentence!!! :eek: :thumbup:

While I do like the 93mm alox, the 108mm Safari series are my favorites.

SAK%2520108mm.JPG

Me too. Got my Mauser in 1982, and carried it for 10 years straight :thumbup:

Back