Some SAK love

My unsung hero: The SAK Executive. I carry this Monday-Friday, and it gets used well. It's thrown right into the pocket with the car keys, and it has been beaten and scratched and never missed a beat. I've got an Alox Rancher at the house that has done more dirty work than I care to mention (let's just say sheetrock doesn't stand a chance). I would like to eventually get an Alox Bantum or Waiter, but they're pretty far down the list of future knife purchases.

pPocXF9.jpg

Here's the Waiter

31878300510_e4a3dfd78e_c.jpg

There's a corkscrew on the back that will accommodate the mini screwdriver, very, very soon. That makes this one perfect in my book.

Oh, and I convexed the edge in all of about four-and-a-half minutes.

Better hurry up on the Alox Bantam. They have been discontinued and are getting harder and harder to find (and more expensive) I just picked up another, they make great gifts.
My unsung hero: The SAK Executive. I carry this Monday-Friday, and it gets used well. It's thrown right into the pocket with the car keys, and it has been beaten and scratched and never missed a beat. I've got an Alox Rancher at the house that has done more dirty work than I care to mention (let's just say sheetrock doesn't stand a chance). I would like to eventually get an Alox Bantum or Waiter, but they're pretty far down the list of future knife purchases.

SAKs are kinda ubiquitous. So many people have them, and they are well-loved here. But they're usually not covered in mouth-froth from the rabid mad-grabs that GEC's limited production numbers inspire, so there's less forumsexy about them. Also, they're super consistent. My first ever pocket knife was an SAK classic wearing Philadelphia Eagles covers. I still have it, it's 24 years old. I should take a picture one day...
I certainly consider SAKs to be traditional folders. It's sort of interesting that the reasons traumkommode gives for SAKs not being "forumsexy" are probably the reasons that I have so much love for SAKs and would take a SAK over a GEC almost any time! :rolleyes:

I usually carry a red celidor Minichamp, another celidor SAK, and an Alox SAK every day. The Minichamp is always there, the other 2 SAKs rotate weekly. This week's SAK pack consists of these:
Minichamp
eJdbaXG.jpg

Alox Farmer
ynzQ4Tcl.jpg

Huntsman
tAqQMqW.jpg

I think it's probably because there's also a separate Bladeforums subforum for Swiss army knives (and multi-tools) so most of the discussion goes to the more specialized forum. If you want to start a club thread like there is for peanuts, lambsboot, and jacks, this might be the perfect recruitment logo ;)

My dad's parents both immigrated to US from the Netherlands, so I really like this photo, Jake! :D
Thanks for all the interesting SAK photos you posted! :cool:

Here is an older picture of a Alox vera plant. It recently bloomed so I have to get a more recent one...but this will help us get started.

I'm a big fan of two different alox SAKs: the Electrician and the Cadet. I always have one or the other on me, usually along with a large stockman.

OldCrossElectrician_zpsdzkdelac.jpg~original

Steve and Jeff, those are a couple of my favorite SAK photos in my 3 years at BF as a lurker or member (at least that I can remember)! :cool:

Pàdruig;16816586 said:
I see a lot of SAK love here, it is hard not to like such an iconic knife. I got my son a SAK for his first pocket knife and he absolutely loves it.

8uvQIeI.jpg

Great pic, Padruig! :thumbup:

- GT

Saks are definitely common and ordinary, especially compared to the overly trendy gec's but they're still probably the most carried traditional folder today
One of the great things about Victorinox is the fact even a non knife person can use and appreciate a sak. There's also the fact that no matter what model someone chooses there's just no possible way to dispute their choice, they make something for everyone and you can't go wrong with a Victorinox knife.
I may get a little tired of mainly seeing alox models because I don't get having one without the toothpick & tweezers, but the alox models do look so nice and one can always be paired up with a classic .

my vic recruit will still be in my pocket for the next 2 weeks till its time to get swapped into my rotation. At which point a classic will compliment one of my other folders.

My dad's parents both immigrated to US from the Netherlands, so I really like this photo, Jake! :D
Thanks for all the interesting SAK photos you posted! :cool:

Thanks GT! The klompen were a gift from a good friend in the Netherlands. As a young boy, his father wore klompen with dry straw for cushioning. :)

Here's an interesting Swiss army knife that was a collaboration between EKA and Wenger...

Great knives, this Lumberjack is indispensable, it now resides in my car. The Alox LJ is my favorite and wish i would have picked up a few that I have seen over the years.

attachment.php

Attachments

• alox.jpg
    alox.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 248
The orange Pioneer is my go-to knife for when I'm working on chores around the house. The Cadet is one of my first knives.

I freaked out yesterday when I heard one of my knives went through the washing machine... After I heard it was the "orange one" I wasn't worried.

DSC_1004.jpg

I had looked down on SAKs for a long time, for no good real reason honestly. When I was younger, I thought the thin blades were worthless and that the knives were more of a novelty item. A few months back, I remembered I had been given one when I graduated high school. I thought it was just a classic model. I went to my parents house and dug through a crate containing all of my things from my old room and sure enough I found the knife still in the box. Turned out it was a Wenger Tinker version. It was in my pocket everyday for about a month or so and is still in my rotation box.

When I first found this forum it was to look at a lot more modern knifes. I had been EDC'ing a Kershaw and was interested in a mini Griptillian. I found the Traditional forum and my tastes changed very quickly. Since I joined this forum I've gotten 9-10 new knives and all have been a traditional slipjoint other than the fixed blade I have on order now. Modern knifes are what brought me here and I haven't gotten a single one!

I certainly consider SAKs to be traditional folders. It's sort of interesting that the reasons traumkommode gives for SAKs not being "forumsexy" are probably the reasons that I have so much love for SAKs and would take a SAK over a GEC almost any time! :rolleyes:

And don't you know, SAK's have outstanding walk and talk, on the cam tangs and on the half-stop tools. F&F isn't on par with GEC, but the blades come use-ably sharp, and they seem more consistent and better-finished than Case or Queen by a considerable margin.

Jake, I see your wooden Wenger has their own take on the scissors. I have one like that and it is much improved on the spring version.

The old Swiss army knives were constructed a lot like other old knives. The modern construction and manufacturing isn't really directly comparable since it's so different. For example, grinding the backs of the knives is a finishing step at GEC. It's not step at Victorinox. The springs are finished before the knives are assembled. So flush springs isn't really a relevant criteria for judging quality when it comes to knives from Victorinox. Sharpening is another example. Victorinox uses fully automated sharpening. The knives are extremely consistent because of the modernized manufacturing. I don't know of any other company manufacturing knives this way. I doubt any other company has the volume to afford the same sort of modernization either.

Jake, I see your wooden Wenger has their own take on the scissors. I have one like that and it is much improved on the spring version.

Hi Alan. Those Wenger scissors are robust. Now that the companies are merged, you can get either one from Victorinox. I haven't carried that knife yet... need to get it out of storage. I like the handles a lot but they do add a bit of bulk.

I have a Tinker and an SD both used frequently. I should have gotten the Super Tinker though as I like the scissors.

Back