Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick's not an expert, people think he is. He's very entertaining. He does somethings most people wouldn't, it works for him.

For instance no one should be using nano oil for knives. It's pure snake oil, it gets gummy and nasty. It's claim to fame for Nick is that it comes in 3 viscosities. And he puts wayyyyyy wayyyyyy too much of it on.

I believe he does this because he wants to try and get that drop shut action, problem is, it's snake oil and not for knives because it doesn't provide metal to metal protection and is overly expensive. It seems to him and others that it provides less friction, for about a month until it starts to gum up. A knife lube should provide long lasting metal to metal protection without the gumming up.

Not only this but nano oil marketing is just snake oil and they fought tooth and nail at pushing Nano oil to the knife market, and it's now part of it due to lots of clueless people and knife makers. Now to top it off people see his videos and want it. No scientific data or standardized testing on this snake oil. The guy selling it doesn't even know what's in it.

The other issue I see, and again he doesn't claim to be a professional, is lubing crk knives, or pb washers in general.

Those are my only real rants about the nick. I've told him before, he argues against me, it's whatever.

I dunno what I'd do without the Nick otherwise. I do enjoy his vids and share alot of his opinions.

Check out his knife rants on Tuesdays at knife ews
http://knifenews.com/knife-gripes-episode-4-tough-on-teflon/
Which oil do you recommend

When you watch Nick, Birdshot IV and Kevin Cleary you get a very rounded opinion of that particular knife. I have gotten quite a few knives that they thought were good and they have never steered me wrong yet.
It's like trying to find the truth about a news story, you need to buy at least three newspapers to figure out what the real story more or less.

When you watch Nick, Birdshot IV and Kevin Cleary you get a very rounded opinion of that particular knife. I have gotten quite a few knives that they thought were good and they have never steered me wrong yet.
It's like trying to find the truth about a news story, you need to buy at least three newspapers to figure out what the real story more or less.

This is brilliant, and way better than listening to only one jackass. Yes, the three channels are nicely contrasting. Frankie and Bird aren't as snobby as I am, and have a more grounded and practical perspective. Cleary loves them big and tactical, but he's also reasonable and function-focused. So he'll cover the sides I'm weakest on. Also consider Cedric Ada Gear and Outdoors, who does a lot more 'use testing' and backyard science. He and I sometimes disagree (*cough* Slysz Bowie *cough*), but I always respect his opinion.

Of all of the reviewers Nick appears to be the most genuine, some of the other reviewers appear to be doing infomercials and it appears they are bought and paid for... in that respect he is a true Gem.. Some of his nitpick are not consistent but at least he will bring out the Bad in every knife even if it is petty, and typically he admits that it might be petty... if you can't tell, I am a fan..as he is a pure class guy. Annoying voice and all...

I’m a huge fan of Nick’s videos, especially the puns along with the sayings that are almost clichè after so many videos. I don’t take his word as gospel, but I like how honest he is in his reviews. One complaint is that his child-sized hands give the knives in the reviews a false sense of enormity—I need to remember that if it fits his hand well my medium-large hands will fully engulf it.. He makes an entertaining video that is still informative, and that’s a beautiful thing.

This is brilliant, and way better than listening to only one jackass. Yes, the three channels are nicely contrasting. Frankie and Bird aren't as snobby as I am, and have a more grounded and practical perspective. Cleary loves them big and tactical, but he's also reasonable and function-focused. So he'll cover the sides I'm weakest on. Also consider Cedric Ada Gear and Outdoors, who does a lot more 'use testing' and backyard science. He and I sometimes disagree (*cough* Slysz Bowie *cough*), but I always respect his opinion.
I also watch Cedrick but by the time I get to him I have already made up my mind. I did follow his advice and am considering getting a Tormek knife sharpener but as always I need to hear more than 1 opinion so I watched Harleywood's reviews. I find that it is always prudent to get more than one opinion but you also need to vette them and decide whether or not you consider their opinion valid.
Your reviews are great except that sometimes I have to read between the lines.

So having just received my first CRK knife I've been spending some time over on that sub-forum and I've seen a couple threads discussing YouTuber Nick Shabazz. I've seen a lot of criticism launched at him and I just thought I'd start a thread here to discuss my feelings about him as a reviewer and member of the knife and bladeforums community.

Knives are a personal thing. For some people they're a hobby, for some people they're a tool, and for others they're a means of self defense. Personally speaking, I use a knife all the time at work (I'm a distiller) and carry higher end knives the rest of the time so I guess I'm somewhere between a user and an appreciator.

Given my situation I find Nick Shabazz to be an invaluable resource and member of this commmunity. I think that his videos and reviews strive to discuss all aspects of a knife and, in doing so, every kind of knife user. You'll often hear him point out a detail of a knife and say "this doesn't matter to me, but it might matter to you". This attention to detail and consideration of what either people look for or value in a knife is, in my opinion, part of what makes Nick so great. I often find myself agreeing with him or at least finding value or an interesting perspective in what he's saying. Rather than stating his opinions as facts he really strives to stay objective and keep opinions as opinions and facts as facts.

Nick doesn't come across as an intense prepper or survivalist or super soldier. Instead he comes across as a knowledgeable guy who is passionate about knives and has good taste and an incredible eye for detail. He's entertaining, charming, witty and helpful. I genuinely appreciate his presence in the community and I just wanted to start this thread to say so. That is all.

Keep it up Nick!

Nick Shabazz is a blast on Youtube whether you are a knife guy, flashlight guy, quartz watch guy or just like Michigan!

You’re right I forgot to mention Cedrick. He Definitely is the missing link for complete information on a particular knife. Between the four of you I can’t go wrong.

Nick thinks there is a hotspot with a Chaparral clip .

Oy yo yoi ... Don't let the little guy kick your ass.

He and I sometimes disagree (*cough* Slysz Bowie *cough*), but I always respect his opinion.

Well, I was about to say that I enjoy your videos and then you said the above. I have owned two nib...sold them...and just bought one more after a lot of looking. It seems to me to be the "mid-sized" CRK Sebbie that I've been wanting for years...and I've carried a lot of large CRK's...including the Zaan which I stilll have.
------------------------
Whew! I just watched two of your love-videos of the Slysz Bowie, and happy to say we are still buds. I was a bit amazed at all the mini-details that you showed in describing the knife...and was glad to see them. Yeah, I love the Slysz also and thanx for your excellent videos.
Now, I know why I just bought this third one...and plan to carry it, use it, and keep it.

Last edited:
He does. He looks strikingly like Rick Astley. Good looking feller.

No idea how his speaking voice is so different than his singing voice, but whatever.

You could see his reflection in the crystal in one of his watch review videos. I thought I was the only one who saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back