Someone must have hit the Snark button on their alarm glock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard good things about the Spyderco paring knives.

Thanks, I have one on the way! It's actually a little long for a paring knife, but it will fit pretty well appearance-wise with the Becker set.

You can get a very good factory paring knife for $50. Custom is more like $150.

Yeah, that's about what I expected. I was about to buy a Shun Pro, then remembered how much I was indifferent on their handles. The way it feels in my hand plays a lot into how much I'll use it. I've always really liked the look of your paring knives, too, but have never been in the position to commit to purchasing.

My son doing what he loves to do:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

My best wishes for Oz, you and Triggs, Gus. It's hard enough when they get old, much less sick.

Sounds good! 😏
It's been pee'ing down rain here in SW Ohio, and being from the inland northwest with our somewhat well distributed Asian population, we were/are missing our Phõ like addicts in rehab...

95% of folks here have never heard of it. 😕
And it's a 30 min drive to the nearest decent Phõ shop.

So it was a treat to go to a HUGE international market and score a ton of hard to find ingredients for the soup.
If you ever get a chance, it's what they eat in Vietnam sometimes 2 or 3 meals a day!
We did a lighter (and cheaper) chicken version. If I were in 100% charge of making it (the wife had veto power) I would've use an extra 2lbs of chicken wings and backs (for the broth), along with the whole bird to increase the poultry flavor. All the poultry in the stores these days is so lean, and lacking of flavor.
This was good soup though, simply because its homemade. 😆🍜

I'm making something like that tonight - luckily, we have a very good asian grocery in town, and they also have sushi grade fish as well as a lot of hard to identify vegetables (and other ingredients). My version will have to be somewhat dumbed down for the former vegetarian spouse and two young girls who don't have the affinity for Nước mắm pha that I do. Hopefully they won't feel the need to have cereal for dinner.

I'm making something like that tonight - luckily, we have a very good asian grocery in town, and they also have sushi grade fish as well as a lot of hard to identify vegetables (and other ingredients). My version will have to be somewhat dumbed down for the former vegetarian spouse and two young girls who don't have the affinity for Nước mắm pha that I do. Hopefully they won't feel the need to have cereal for dinner.

I get ya on the cereal part!

My folks (parents and siblings) are leary of anything too "authentic" when it comes to Asian food, especially dad (who did 2 tours in Nam, and 1 in Japan where at one point, he was honor bound (as in he'd potentially offend his friends/instructors) to eat A LOT of sashimi after winning a Judo match, true story!).
I'm bringing them around though, and trying to wean them off of Bologna, mac'n'cheese, and garbage-gas station knives.) ;)

My wife is a true foodie though, and she'll try just about anything once.

It's a pity that my wife and I didn't take better advantage of the nearby Asian markets in our old home town.
We never had to, because good Asian food was never really that far away.
Now, it's practically cheaper and easier to try to make our own stuff at home rather than driving the 30-45 minutes away.

The next time I do a green or yellow curry, I'll get some sweet Becker shots of my daughter and I prepping the parts.
;)

Anybody else having trouble getting on the ESEE forum?

No, but mostly because I haven't tried.

Ditto...

Where's your initiative, man? Don't you know that only the strong survive? That when the going gets tough, the tough get donuts? That yesterday, pi day, was named after my Aunt Jenny's rhubarb pie? That 2+2=5 because that's where the money is? That Bladite spelled backwards it Etidalb? That leprechauns are real and they sometimes attack Murph in his sleep? Think about all these things and then try, try, try!

Well I don't even have an account over there, so...

Also ditto...

I get ya on the cereal part!

My folks (parents and siblings) are leary of anything too "authentic" when it comes to Asian food, especially dad (who did 2 tours in Nam, and 1 in Japan where at one point, he was honor bound (as in he'd potentially offend his friends/instructors) to eat A LOT of sashimi after winning a Judo match, true story!).
I'm bringing them around though, and trying to wean them off of Bologna, mac'n'cheese, and garbage-gas station knives.) ;)

My wife is a true foodie though, and she'll try just about anything once.

It's a pity that my wife and I didn't take better advantage of the nearby Asian markets in our old home town.
We never had to, because good Asian food was never really that far away.
Now, it's practically cheaper and easier to try to make our own stuff at home rather than driving the 30-45 minutes away.

The next time I do a green or yellow curry, I'll get some sweet Becker shots of my daughter and I prepping the parts.
;)

So, everyone ate some, though theirs looked nothing like mine:

25194695913_93acc41ff0_b.jpg

The only thing missing was actual beef (fried, sliced tofu instead - though the broth was a bone broth my wife made weeks ago) and some nước mắm pha. Still damned tasty for being made by white guy chef, if I do say so myself....said I. It was just funny 'cause I had the broth going on the stove and started catching up on snark from the last coupla days.....and there were all these phở pictures.....which is why I like to hang out on these interwebs.

we have a couple places in town that make a really good pho. while not my favorite, I do like it on occasion. surprisingly my dad loves it. he served one tour in Vietnam and said he never ate anything other than c rations and army chow ( other than the one time he ate a mo key) so he enjoys trying food from there

25194695913_93acc41ff0_b.jpg

The only thing missing was actual beef (fried, sliced tofu instead - though the broth was a bone broth my wife made weeks ago) and some nước mắm pha. Still damned tasty for being made by white guy chef, if I do say so myself....said I. It was just funny 'cause I had the broth going on the stove and started catching up on snark from the last coupla days.....and there were all these phở pictures.....which is why I like to hang out on these interwebs.

Jeepers!
I bow to the master! :D
Tofu that is done right is no joke!
And since you used a bone broth... (Dammit, I'm getting hungry again...)
I'm thankful for these snark threads that don't have to be 100% about knives, all the time.
Glad to know that there's a good number of foodies of all levels and extractions. :)

we have a couple places in town that make a really good pho. while not my favorite, I do like it on occasion. surprisingly my dad loves it. he served one tour in Vietnam and said he never ate anything other than c rations and army chow ( other than the one time he ate a mo key) so he enjoys trying food from there

Your dad sounds adventurous.
My dad has gotten better. :)
He just can't get the images of gutted dogs and cats that he saw being eaten by the (probably near starving) locals when he worked in the boonies near Da Nang.
He's a farm boy from NoDak so he'll eat anything beef, pork, and chicken...
It's just a psychological thing for some of the older generation I think, and getting them to TRY something next and "exotic" is 95% of the battle.

Kershaw, victorinox, and opinel make nice low end paring knives.
oddly enough, so does Ikea.
another option would be to look at some of the Green River paring knife patterns.

as to ESEE, then now it may have been working, but now now it's not again.

Jeepers!
I bow to the master! :D
Tofu that is done right is no joke!
And since you used a bone broth... (Dammit, I'm getting hungry again...)
I'm thankful for these snark threads that don't have to be 100% about knives, all the time.
Glad to know that there's a good number of foodies of all levels and extractions. :)

I think Ethan being the face of "The Joy of Cooking" franchise (as well as a Cordon Bleu chef) kinda makes most Beckerheads foodies by association.
As for the tofu, even though I know how and can do it right - it comes already done awesome from the asian grocery. I just slice and serve. Luckily, my family has been eating it for years, so with tofu - at least when I make it - there's never argument. Except over who gets the last piece.

Your dad sounds adventurous.
My dad has gotten better. :)
He just can't get the images of gutted dogs and cats that he saw being eaten by the (probably near starving) locals when he worked in the boonies near Da Nang.
He's a farm boy from NoDak so he'll eat anything beef, pork, and chicken...
It's just a psychological thing for some of the older generation I think, and getting them to TRY something next and "exotic" is 95% of the battle.

All food is psychological, especially when it comes to animal/fish/fowl/sundry living creature flesh. I love lobster - but seriously, they're giant, ocean-going arthropods. They have exoskeletons - like insects. Clams? Love 'em....but try to explain eating a whole steamer to someone who can't wrap their head around eating a mollusk's stomach. I tried sweetbreads once when I was a kid - what I remember was they tasted good, but after the second bite and I asked what were sweetbreads really and was told the answer (calf's brains) that was the end of it. The only thing I sneak into food without telling people is vegetable stuff. Pumpkin bread made with tofu, chopped up broccoli stems in the curry...that sort of stuff. This summer my neighbor made an "apple" crisp - that was so good and was so much like apple crisp that even though they told me it wasn't apples, I could not guess what it was - it zucchini. Anyway, I still will NOT be eating monkey anytime soon.

Ill try almost anything once. Almost... monkey is definitely on the no list until I no longer only have first world problems. Happy overweight Joe has no desire. Could be a different story if i was starving. Or if there were zombies.

Assuming it's safe to eat, I'd be will ing to try any animal. Dog, cat, monkey, horse, hagfish. Whatever. Heck, I'll eat chorizo so it ain't no thang.

Mmm, bone broth. I've got a recipe for Peruvian chicken cilantro soup using bone broth that I like a lot. Good stuff. Y'all making me hungry for some soup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back