Spend $50

joeradza

Gold Member
With a small fudge factor how would you spend $50? Anything with an edge (traditional of course) counts. A nice user, or a group of several inexpensive folders, maybe a SAK or a multi tool. I put together these three this morning. A Douk-Douk for 23, a No. 8 Opinel for 17 and a Rough Ryder for 14. Post away as many times as you want or with as many combinations as you can come up with.CED39E11-70EA-4A38-A7E2-E557040C8032.jpeg

Oooh. This is a fun and dangerous idea! After perusing my typical window-shopping sites for a knife in the price range, I think I've settled my first idea on a Hiroaki Ohta FK5 Friction Folder. Dead simple, super traditional, not a style a ton of people have experience with, and absolutely beautiful. Picture courtesy of CK.

Screenshot-20201022-093847.png

For about $5 over budget, a great edc combo can be made with a small SAK and a Case Sodbuster Jr. I can't think of many situations that a pair like that would let you down. The debate of SS vs CV can be made with your wallet, as prices are similar for both options from Case. Here's an example of one such pairing.

Screenshot-20201022-094700-2.png

Screenshot-20201022-094840-2.png

Standard Production Buck 110 from Wally's when they were still $28.95.
Rough Ryder RR603 large stockman ....................................... $9.99
Marbles MR278 Demo Knife ................................................... $6.99
SMKW Bundeswehr GAK ........................................................ $5.99

If I added right the four come in at $1.92 over budget. When I bought these, I had the extra call it "$2.00". :D

View attachment 1441739

Last edited:
I would look for something on the secondary market and find something hand fitted from one of the US manufacturers like camillus, parker edwards, schrade, buck. For $50 you can find a great examples in pretty much whatever pattern you want. Second place would be a Solingen manufacturer, like boker, kissing crane, something like that. Dollar for dollar, I think that is where the best stuff can be found right now vs current production. If you have to have a 2020, Case can be had for under $50 in many patterns with the lower end handle materials, but still great quality. I find its like buying a used car, new has its advantages, but for the same price or far less you can get a loaded model with all the bells and whistles!

I like the idea of finding something used in decent condition, but that often just comes down to being lucky enough.
Personally, I have a lot of patterns on my list that I want to try (barlow, gunstock, and trapper are my top three as of right now), so I'd either look for a few of them from rough ryder or one from a higher end company. Of course, there's a good chance that I'd change my mind next week.

I like the idea of finding something used in decent condition, but that often just comes down to being lucky enough.
Personally, I have a lot of patterns on my list that I want to try (barlow, gunstock, and trapper are my top three as of right now), so I'd either look for a few of them from rough ryder or one from a higher end company. Of course, there's a good chance that I'd change my mind next week.

Its a crapshoot with new knives at that price point! Lots of new in the box older knives available that were built better than bargain bin patterns today IMHO. Double your budget and you can escape that risk.

(front row)
Rough Rider RR603 large Stockman and RR597 full size Trapper $9.99 each.
(center row)
Rough Ryder ("large" 3 7/8 inch closed) Stoneworx stockman. $14.99.
(they also have a 4 3/8 inch closed Stoneworx Stockman for an extra dollar)
Rough Ryder RR1740 "Classic Carbon" Large Stockman $14.99.
Hence, all four come in at a few cents under the $50 budget. :D

View attachment 1441790

Back