Spent the afternoon cutting Oak

They bore in between the bark and trunk. In this manner they rob the bark of nutrients. The bark starts to slough off and the tree is done. We don't have
many of those. But a good cold winter will take care of those. And help to clean
the trees of mistletoe. My large bore beetles get deep and can survive. But my wood stove gets them later. Some of the challenges our forest face. Thats why we see ample dead wood laying about. DM

That sounds a lot like the Dutch Elm Disease that killed most of the Elm trees here in Minnesota years ago. The Elms were dying off at a pretty fast pace back in the 1970s here. The only positive was if you knew where a downed elm tree was you would find so many Morel Mushrooms that we would fill several large paper grocery bags full. We didn't know any better back then. Now we use net bags so the mushroom spores have a chance to escape and grow more mushrooms rather than be contained in the paper bag.

Last edited:
20200807_124602.jpg Ok, thanks Trailsawyer. I oiled the end, sharpened it to the fine India and wrapped a
shirt sleeve near the ax and took it for a test drive on some Emory oak.
Here were are at work. This wood was cut in March. So, not thoroughly cured.
It took 7 hits before it split and had a dead core. The next log left is also Emory. The third log is live oak. Notice the bark and color of the wood is different .

Last edited:
I cut, split and hauled a 1/4 cord yesterday, into the barn. It was like 87*. But it kicked me. So, not doing that for another month. It was mostly a dying Live oak tree. So, my Hults worked fine on it. But a different story on the Emoy oak. I have
This winter's wood in the dry and the next winter's wood curing. So, I'll work on hanging another haft. DM

Last Saturday we had some strong winds and it snapped at lot of limbs in trees. This being one which I cut up today. And more to cut and split tomorrow. I'm holding my Hults which I used for limb work. As it didn't work for splitting, being only 4 lbs.. The Council did work well being 6 lbs.. DM
20201123_174219.jpg

Last edited:
Ok this is the haft I put on in Jan. 'this year'. I may have split a little more that 20 rounds with it. Today splitting the round it's laying on it bit the dust. I have not over struck with it. So much for giving it special mounting treatment. It lasted less than 1 year use. Close to normal for my Emory oak. DM
20201125_120859.jpg

Last edited:
Back