Off Topic Springtime is lovely for a stroll in the snark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! I see you also picked up a Carothers in that line up. Also, I see a daizee blade there. Not familiar with the one on the right.

The one on the right is from JK Handmade Knives - he has a sub here. It's a solid knife in its own right, despite it being a bit rough around the edges, but it is a misfire in terms of a proper interpretation of the Kephart design. One point in its favor though is that it sports a convex edge - Mike does the same in his rendition, albeit a bit more polished.

When I have some time, good picture taking weather, and some outdoor cooking lined up, I plan on doing a comparative review/write up that I will post either in General or in the Review section when the time comes.

I had a camping trip planned that got cancelled, but took 2 days off anyway -- spent most of yesterday clearing weed trees out of the old garden area.
Today's original plan was cancelled because of the heat, so I'll finish cleaning up from yesterday and play in the forge, instead.
Tomorrow I get to drive halfway across the state for a nephew's wedding.

oh, yeah - a couple weeks ago I made some box hardware (hinges, staple, and a hasp) out of a chunk of 3/4 mild square stock 6.5" long.
(same challenge deal as the viking tongs I made back in May)
IMG_20210716_154110042 (2).jpg
5 plates and comparison bar
IMG_20210916_103942085~2.jpg
IMG_20210916_103911323~2.jpg
After making those, I thought they needed handles to go with them -- so I did another "challenge bar"
IMG_20210916_103920321~2.jpg

after those were done, I made an ugly "bench box" out of some scrap 1 x 12 -- 19" tall, 13" deep, 25" wide, subtle taper on the ends for stability so I would have somewhere to sit other than my "drunk trap viking plank chair". (especially since Derek always steals it)

You're getting good at that stuff vik. :thumbsup: Where's the cool tongs?

On a side note, I went and bought a battery for my Jeep a bit ago, and replaced it. Haven't started it in probably two years now, and she fired right up. Took it to the shop, to get the brakes cleaned, axles lubed, etc. Be good to drive it again. I've had it for 6 or so years now, and have probably put 1,000 miles on it.

Those are awesome man.

thanks!
spent most of my morning digging out the last elm stump from yesterday's fun and games.
Once I cool down a bit, I'll head out and fire up the forge.

I thought about getting one of those portable shed/cabin thingies, and making up a small shop. Sure would be nice to have.

oh, yeah - a couple weeks ago I made some box hardware (hinges, staple, and a hasp) out of a chunk of 3/4 mild square stock 6.5" long.
(same challenge deal as the viking tongs I made back in May)
View attachment 1641812
5 plates and comparison bar
View attachment 1641815
View attachment 1641813
After making those, I thought they needed handles to go with them -- so I did another "challenge bar"
View attachment 1641814

after those were done, I made an ugly "bench box" out of some scrap 1 x 12 -- 19" tall, 13" deep, 25" wide, subtle taper on the ends for stability so I would have somewhere to sit other than my "drunk trap viking plank chair". (especially since Derek always steals it)
Awesomeness Vik. Looks Great

Picked these up at a yard sale A couple months ago. $50 from what sounded like a scorned lady. Only the 036 Pro had a scored piston but the rings still move. All three run. The 034AV needed a pulse line and oil pump. The slant fin 044 smoked a worm gear so I have to pull the oil pump and see why it locked up. I've been running the 044 with a 25 inch full chisel chain and it's strong. 24 inch for you Husky guys lol. Definitely a huge win. I gave the 034 to my boss. He is replacing every wear part on the saw. As am I with my two projects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back