1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 Report

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Mr Blonde, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    I’ll try not to gloat too much, but the Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2017 was -to me- even more spectacular as previous editions. I counted around 80 new designs that Eric brought with him to the meet. I think that is more knives than we’ve seen before at the meet! Thank you Eric, Joyce, Jurphaas, Martien, the Spydercrew in Golden and everyone else who was at the meet for creating another spectacular Spyderco event!

From the prototype-filled table, I can publish photos and film footage of about 25 knives. I took over 1,600 photos and 3hrs of video footage. I only get one chance, so I figured I’d better snap an extra pic just to be sure, right? With Ted’s help I was able to collect not only photographs of the right knives, but also all sorts of measurements. I hope we’re able to give you a good impression of some of the new knives that Spyderco is working on. Any possible errors in the images or information about these prototypes and production samples, are all mine. Probably due to experiencing a hefty dose of ‘new knife high’.

2. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    Here’s the first batch of knives I can share with you. I didn’t take much time to actually handle and examine the knives. Hopefully, my fellow knifeknuts who were at the meet, can share their impression of these knives. Eric loves feedback, so don’t be shy to comment on the designs I can show you in this thread.

Please feel free to re-post and share these images and information. If you’d like to edit these images, try to make it clear that these are either concept models, production prototypes or production samples. I add this information in the images, to make clear that these knives aren’t available yet. I’d also appreciate a source credit for the images (www.spydercollector.com). If you’d like to use these images for commercial purposes, contact me first.

3. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    The Spyderco Alycone will be a new budget-friendly working knife. I’ve also seen this knife being mentioned as the Alcyone vs. the Alycone, I’m going by the name that was on the tag at the meet. IIRC, this design was aimed at boy scouts for their ‘first knife’. It is basically a scaled-down version of the C220 Polestar that was included in the goodie bag for all attendees (thank you!). The Alycone’s G-10 handle was a very nice fit for my hands. I recall this knife having very good overall fit & finish. Not a big surprise, since this was a production sample, rather than a concept model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications
    Overall Length: 18 cm / 7.08 inches
    Blade Length: 7,3 cm / 2.87 inches
    Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
    Weight: 92 grams / 3.24 ounces

4. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Always my favorite thread of the year!!! Thanks Mr. Blonde!

5. vilePossum

vilePossum

Jan 14, 2015
    Oh yes, it is that time of the year again. Thanks Mr. Blonde!

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

6. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Thank you! Those pics look great BTW!

7. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Always love to see this thread! As always, thank you so much for the time and effort you put in to share this with us.

8. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Wow, already that time of year?!

Look forward to this thread as always. :thumbup:

9. Jamesh Bond

Jamesh Bond

Jan 14, 2007
    Awesome!

Thank you for this!

10. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I'm guessing it was a typo and should be Alcyone? Seeing as Alcyone is a star and this knife look very similar to the PoleSTAR.

11. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    The Spyderco ATR with a G-10 handle was shown at last year’s Amsterdam Meet, and it’s still in the pipeline to be brought to market. Although this sample is closer to the actual production version, compare to last year’s production prototype, I don’t recall any changes to this year’s sample of the ATR. Still, the ATR is a great design and I’d love to clip this G-10 version to my pocket soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications
    Overall Length: 21,5 cm / 8.46 inches
    Blade Length: 8,7 cm / 3.42 inches
    Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
    Weight: 132 grams / 4.65 ounces

12. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you. Love the G10, it is almost a washed out denim color.

13. Mr Blonde

Mr Blonde

Oct 12, 1998
    That's all for today, I hope to post a fresh batch tomorrow. Thanks for watching!

14. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to your next posts.

15. dcycleman

dcycleman

Feb 16, 2009
    Thanks Mr Blonde, hope you might share some images of the Caribbean salts and your impressions [emoji106]

16. foofie

foofie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Thank you Mr. Blonde. I appreciate your giving up your hands-on time to take such wonderful photos and allowing us all to share in the joy and excitement.

17. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    Thanks for the thread mate. PLEASE post pics of the Caribbean Salts!

18. full flat grind

full flat grind

Jun 5, 2015
    Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

19. NoFair

NoFair

Jun 30, 2006
    Sweet. Best thread of the year every time Wouter:cool:

20. Ippon98

Ippon98

Feb 15, 2017
    Dang... that ATR is looking real good. Thanks for the pics! Any word on how far up the "pipeline" this one is in production?