Spyderco Chaparral Goodness

RamZar

Gold Member
The Spyderco Chaparral series are high-quality Taichung-made small and slim back lock folders with a 2.8" CTS-XHP blade that’s only 0.08" thick with full-flat grind so an excellent slicer. Additionally, the series pays homage to various handle materials and finishes.

The original Chaparral C152CFP features a Carbon Fiber/G-10 laminate handle scales and weighs just 2.5 ounces and can be had for about $100 brand new. Great entry to the series.

C152CF_L.jpg

The Chaparral 2 C152TIP features solid titanium handle scales that are machined "with an intricate geometric pattern that adds character, light and depth" and weighs just 2.7 ounces.

C152TI_L.jpg

The Chaparral 3 C152STI features solid titanium handle scales "CNC-machined with an intricate three-dimensional “stepped” pattern. This pattern uses a series of straight lines to create the illusion of complex curves while providing texture for enhanced grip control". Weighs just 2.7 ounces.

C152STI_L.jpg

038ed103-63d9-4bcc-8caa-4c8ac2a6014d_zps6437da41.jpg

SHOW US YOUR SPYDERCO CHAPARRAL FOLDERS!

I was finally able to snag the newest edition with the Stepped Titanium handle. These were selling for $350+ just a short while ago and many places are still selling them that high but there are several places that have them for way under $300.

Here's a family picture of my Chaparral 1, 2 & 3:

c2a61228-e3dd-47f8-996f-d8adc674c02c_zps7b443229.jpg

Last edited:
Thanx RamZar, for the kind words and great pics.

The design is actually planned ffor a time about 10 years from now when social and legal demands will again (in my opinion) reduce the size of carry knives worldwide.

The newest stepped Titan version is very difficult to machine. We can make about 12 per day.

sal

Last edited:
I just ordered my first Chaparral. I love the Stepped Titanium and may eventually order one, but I've got the less expensive C152CFP to start.

Nice thread RamZar. Thanks for starting it. :)

I like cf Chaparral so much, I purchased three. Gave one to my Son,for his dress knife.

Thanx RamZar, for the kind words and great pics.

The design is actually planned ffor a time about 10 years from now when social and legal demands will again (in my opinion) reduce the size of carry knives worldwide.

The newest stepped Titan version is very difficult to machine. We can make about 12 per day.

sal

My pleasure Sal.

Dealing with smaller folders is a reality for us in Los Angeles. Of course, not yet so draconian as the British Knife Laws with no locks!

I have no doubt that I'll be suitably impressed with the scales of the new Chaparral Stepped Titanium. I know about the difficulty, time and money that goes into such millings. Two other examples I can think of for knives are the solid titanium frames of LionSteel SR-1, SR-2 & TiSpine plus the 3D Contoured Carbon Fiber scales of the Zero Tolerance 0777.

Last edited:
I just found a super deal on the Stepped Titanium and ordered it. Couldn't resist. Now I have 2 Chaparrals on the way... :D

The Sage 1 is very close.

Didn't know that the initial Chaparral CF/G-10 laminate was in CPM-S30V and then sometime last year it became CTS-XHP? So, there are two versions although the model numbers are the same (C152CFP)?

Never knew the sage was so close to the chaparral. I thought yhe chaparral was much smaller.

Never knew the sage was so close to the chaparral. I thought yhe chaparral was much smaller.

There are quite a few differences between Sage 1 CF and Chaparral 1 CF and Chaparral is distinctly smaller, thinner, narrower, shorter and lighter.

Code:
                   [B]CHAPARRAL  SAGE[/B]
Overall Length:    6.375"     7.125"
Blade Length:      2.812"     3.00"
Cutting Edge:      2.281"     2.625"
Blade Thickness:   0.078"     0.125"
Handle Length:     3.625"     4.188"
Overall Thickness: 0.35"      0.44"    
Overall Width:     1.36"      1.46"
Weight:            2.45 oz.   3.27 oz.

There are quite a few differences between Sage 1 CF and Chaparral 1 CF and Chaparral is distinctly smaller, thinner, narrower, shorter and lighter.

Code:
                   [B]CHAPARRAL  SAGE[/B]
Overall Length:    6.375"     7.125"
Blade Length:      2.812"     3.00"
Cutting Edge:      2.281"     2.625"
Blade Thickness:   0.078"     0.125"
Handle Length:     3.625"     4.188"
Overall Thickness: 0.35"      0.44"    
Overall Width:     1.36"      1.46"
Weight:            2.45 oz.   3.27 oz.

Absolutely. I love to carry my Chaparral. The Sage-1 is too chunky for me.

I supposed it is a little bigger. The photo is deceiving. Carrying my sage 1 right now :thumbup: Disappears in pocket, IMO.

I supposed it is a little bigger. The photo is deceiving. Carrying my sage 1 right now :thumbup: Disappears in pocket, IMO.
This photo may give you a better idea of their relative sizes....

comp_chap_m2_sage_01.jpg

...not a huge difference, but the Chaparral is definitely more compact. For me, the Sage disappears nicely in a front or back pocket but, in at least some of my jeans, the Chaparral can disappear nicely in the coin pocket. :)

As for the Chaparral 3, it wasn't something I "had to have", but RamZar's post, and finding one at 50% off, convinced me to pull the trigger. :eek: With any luck, I'll have it today. :)

This photo may give you a better idea of their relative sizes....

comp_chap_m2_sage_01.jpg

...not a huge difference, but the Chaparral is definitely more compact. For me, the Sage disappears nicely in a front or back pocket but, in at least some of my jeans, the Chaparral can disappear nicely in the coin pocket. :)

As for the Chaparral 3, it wasn't something I "had to have", but RamZar's post, and finding one at 50% off, convinced me to pull the trigger. :eek: With any luck, I'll have it today. :)

At over 50% off MSRP that was also my motivation to get a Chaparral 3 which should be here by tomorrow.

That picture shows the overall shorter length well.

Back