Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

Thanks. It's just that I gave out a Christmas list including spyderco stones and people usually just go straight to Amazon to buy stuff.
Yea Amazon is going to cause a lot of issues with the fake knives it harbors. Most people who are not knife people are just not going to know unless they ask knowledgeable folks or search yt for signs of fakes. Too bad they allow this crap.

Hy my Blade friends.
Please help.
Have you seen anybody Spyderco Tatanka china fake copy model?
Thanks very much.

some education from my part :rolleyes: . this 27$ shipped Techno lookalike is a cheap knockoff with distinctive differences (cheap finish "rubbing off" fast, titanium back spacer, no copied markings/logos/labels, ball bearings, no Spyderco-related paperwork or packaging). the blade is labeled with "D2" and the sales page advertises it as "Chinese D2" lol. no shopper or buyer would think that it is a genuine Spyderco product, the differences are too obvious.

the steel is terribly soft and can be ground away super easily with 302UF. from my analysis the steel has to be 8Cr13MoV.
img_20190414_134056fxjfq.jpg

it shines up fast to mirror polish:
img_20190415_1755067fkjy.jpg

i can get it sharper than my genuine Delica 4 VG10, i dunno why:
img_20190415_174704llj4s.jpg

but cutting for example toilet paper or Kleenex tissue blunts the edge right away (one can see apex reflecting light). horrible steel re edge retention. but it is so easy to strop back to silly sharpness. I am saving up now for the genuine Techno: handling the knockoff for so many days helped me foster the purchase idea! :thumbsup: :cool:

some education from my part :rolleyes: . this 27$ shipped Techno lookalike is a cheap knockoff with distinctive differences (cheap finish "rubbing off" fast, titanium back spacer, no copied markings/logos/labels, ball bearings, no Spyderco-related paperwork or packaging). the blade is labeled with "D2" and the sales page advertises it as "Chinese D2" lol. no shopper or buyer would think that it is a genuine Spyderco product, the differences are too obvious.

the steel is terribly soft and can be ground away super easily with 302UF. from my analysis the steel has to be 8Cr13MoV.
<-------->
but cutting for example toilet paper or Kleenex tissue blunts the edge right away (one can see apex reflecting light). horrible steel re edge retention. but it is so easy to strop back to silly sharpness. I am saving up now for the genuine Techno: handling the knockoff for so many days helped me foster the purchase idea! :thumbsup: :cool:
Chinese D2? My ASS! Their metallurgy apparently sux! Thanks for the demonstration. ;)

Subvert clones have started popping on eBay. The listing isn’t trying to pass them off as legit, but it will happen sooner or later.

Yea Amazon is going to cause a lot of issues with the fake knives it harbors. Most people who are not knife people are just not going to know unless they ask knowledgeable folks or search yt for signs of fakes. Too bad they allow this crap.

Yeah I just got a shaman from then for $135 I was alittle suspicious because it was $50 more everywhere else but it's legit

At least with Amazon you know you can return it if you get a dud

Yeah I just got a shaman from then for $135 I was alittle suspicious because it was $50 more everywhere else but it's legit

At least with Amazon you know you can return it if you get a dud

The problem is too many people DONT KNOW and the trash continues to pour into the market. Kudos for exposing the fraud.

What applies to the PM2 clone discussion seems to apply to the Delica4 discussion too. NeptuneKnives:p is the only one on YT who points out the decisive dead giveaway, and for this checkpoint one does not need another clone or genuine knife unit for comparison or reference: if you have just one knife unit, checking this point 448968 alone suffices to determine whether the unit is genuine or clone. Basta.

Note: The following photos are posted in cute:D 450p, click to view in 5K:eek: high-def resolution (all photo credits @rdlinternas).

So let's start the education with the PM2. It is no news that in the profile view the jimping of the PM2-clone looks cut primitively, geometrically:

The jimping of the genuine PM2 looks cut somewhat wavily, like waves. The wave profile is actually very subtle:

Since you might see the wave profile even on a good clone in a very very subtle form too (i.e. you're not sure if the waviness is sufficient to qualify as genuine PM2), the true dead giveaway comes as soon as you look right into the jimping! As NeptuneKnives explained in the video, on the clone the inside of the jimping looks spotty, grainy, speckled, dirty, cheap, and unmachined (even though it may well be machined wtf knows):

On the genuine PM2 the inside of the jimping looks smooth, machined. Machined probably through water jets or whatnot:

Here three more photos showing the inside of the jimping on the genuine PM2 to form a full picture in your mind for future reference by heart:

Now the same goes for the Delica4 and Endura4. This is the jimping profile view of a poor Delica4 lookalike:

The profile of the jimping on the genuine Delica4:

And finally the comparison between the inside of the jimpings. This is the inside of the clone jimping. Hard to see on the photo but it does look spotty and unmachined in RL:

And here is the inside of the genuine Delica4 jimping. Again hard to see on the photo that it does look machined in RL, one can see machining marks (maybe not from water jets tho i dunno):

On the Delica4 and Endura4 the inside of the jimpings are harder to photograph because everything is so small narrow tight tiny. But with a loupe one can see right away if the inside looks spotty (clone!) or machined (genuine!). And even if CN knife makers learn the dead giveaway from this very post, it is highly doubtful that they'll be able to correct it in their future productions of the knife blade. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There are a ton of fake police models pretty well done on ebay currently. Does Spyderco do anything to try and get them removed? The knives are going for about 25-50 dollars a piece. They are done well enough it would be very difficult for untrained people to see the difference. Marketed exactly as Spydercos. Even stamped VG10.

Are the differences in jimping in clones the same across the board? I'm guessing the cloners don't have as sophisticated tooling as the real manufacturer so they can't reproduce the finer details.

I wonder if these design choices were added as a copyright protection feature. If so, well done Sal and Eric.

Just got my P4 in the mail...But the G10 feels different then my P3??

Here's a regular pic (Sorry phone camera)

a997Ys0.jpg

8bZGm1R.jpg

Now with the clarity filter on

6g07G03.jpg

k3iZooA.jpg

Seems to be a different pattern. Should I be concerned?

I've had a couple of Spydercos from Amazon (a Tenacious and a UKPK), not had a problem so far. I would never order from their Marketplace sellers though, just don't trust them.

I was at an antique mall this weekend and a vendor had this Yojimbo for sale for $60. You rarely see any brand name knives at these places so I was flippin' thrilled when I saw it. I usually do my research before buying anything from one of these antique mall vendors, but I had no reception. When I got home I examined the knife closer and realized it's a fake. There are a couple of obvious signs.

1.) Text for the brand name and blade steel look off under light (weird font, uneven text and coloring)
2.) There's a period after "Golden" instead of a comma
3.) The Spydy logo looks off compared to other knives
4.) Jimping on the back is uneven
5.) Pocket clip screws are not flush with liner
6.) Lastly, I don't think Spyderco made an S30v - Carbon Fiber Yojimbo

I think the vendor knew they were selling a fake as the price tag/description did not reference that this knife is a replica/copy and the knife itself was being sold for way under market value. The box the knife came with inexplicably had the barcode sticker peeled off. I should have done my due-diligence and been more thorough, but I had my "excitement" blinders on at the time.

TDMwMXU.jpg

Zo3eNSz.jpg

EeACRXP.jpg

VcDjx7G.jpg

SMzISVu.jpg

BljwrYS.jpg

I was at an antique mall this weekend and a vendor had this Yojimbo for sale for $60. You rarely see any brand name knives at these places so I was flippin' thrilled when I saw it. I usually do my research before buying anything from one of these antique mall vendors, but I had no reception. When I got home I examined the knife closer and realized it's a fake. There are a couple of obvious signs.

1.) Text for the brand name and blade steel look off under light (weird font, uneven text and coloring)
2.) There's a period after "Golden" instead of a comma
3.) The Spydy logo looks off compared to other knives
4.) Jimping on the back is uneven
5.) Pocket clip screws are not flush with liner
6.) Lastly, I don't think Spyderco made an S30v - Carbon Fiber Yojimbo

I think the vendor knew they were selling a fake as the price tag/description did not reference that this knife is a replica/copy and the knife itself was being sold for way under market value. The box the knife came with inexplicably had the barcode sticker peeled off. I should have done my due-diligence and been more thorough, but I had my "excitement" blinders on at the time.

TDMwMXU.jpg

Zo3eNSz.jpg

EeACRXP.jpg

VcDjx7G.jpg

SMzISVu.jpg

BljwrYS.jpg

Definitely a counterfeit. They CF version goes for about $20 on the Chinese counterfeit sites.

Hi there! Im planning to buy my first knife from a second hand selling website. Owner said he nearly never used the knife before. can you look at the photos and give me a hint if its genuine or not, please? I found some different font E's at Seki City, some rounded ones against this squared one, but I wanted to be sure. always appreciated!
sBLhcz3.jpg
6MR8PBb.jpg
0zlX3oK.jpg
CVF9gAf.jpg

JQhcf1K.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/rxl4eaA

can you look at the photos and give me a hint if its genuine or not, please?
Welcome on the forum K koyunstar . Sorry the pic quality of your photos is too poor, i cannot see **** :poop:. Judging from the poor quality of the photos i'd be on the safe side thinking that the knife is a fake. Please check the inside of the jimping with a magnifying glass. If still unsure what to look for, get a guaranteed original brandnew unit from another source (reputable: knifecenter, amazon, bladehq) in order to do a side by side comparison on your own, to learn what the genuine inside of the jimping should look like.

Back