Spyderco General Chat Thread

apparently the spyderco forum topic is result of mine "Spyderco's FRN handles durability?"

110V steel fiberglass-reinforced nylon (FRN) handle

the translucent bd1 steel version has FRCP (fiberglass reinforced co-polymer)

it is some kind of customisation job so I am pretty sure the warranty is out of the question but case like this can start discussion about improving the design with at least small 1/3 metal liners or full length like the endura's
First off. It has been confirmed by both Taz Kristi and Michael Janich on the Spyderco Factory Forum that ALL the Manix 2 Lightweight handles are FRCP. So the handle that broke was not FRN and, regardless of how or why it broke, does not speak to the durability of Spyderco's FRN handles.

Second, if I'm following this story correctly, it appears that the handle that broke was part of a knife that was disassembled by "Owner A", sold to "Owner B" while still disassembled, reassembled by "Owner B", and subsequently broken. We have no way of knowing how well the knife was put back together, but we have to assume that, aside from the pivot and clip screw, the original pins/rivets, or exact replacements for them, were not used.

Definitely not a warranty issue, the warranty was void the minute "owner A" ground down the pins and took the knife apart.

Whether it raises any questions about the durability of FRCP, or the soundness of the Manix 2 Lightweight's design, depends on how much, or how little, weight one gives to an isolated instance involving a modified knife. Personally, I tend to treat isolated incidents a anomalies, especially when they involve products that have been modified.

Great point. I suppose this was an anomaly.

On the toughness of the handle material: I'm not knocking FRN or FRCP, its some tuff stuff and adequate for some knives, but I have (in the last year or so) opted to move away from knives with those types of handles/scales. I go for G10 (usually with accompanying liners or steel inserts) these days. I'm not saying G10 is better or worse here, just that I prefer it over other materials.

I did get a RAT-1 and a ESSE Zancudo (which have some sort of plastic handle material) for rough usage/as throw-aways (as they were substantially cheaper than my Spydies) and they are very nice, robust knives. I would not hesitate to hard use them.

Maybe my point here is; if I were going to get a Manix Series knife, I'd more than likely choose the G10s over the others. (again, this is my preference and does not diminish/discount anyone else's opinion/preference or insinuate that FRN or FRCP is not a good handle material).

I chose the G10 Manix to get my brother, and I also agree that the Rat series and Zancudo/Avispa are great budget knives.

While I'm on the subject, I have a PM2, Delica and Tasman SE. I bought my sisters BF a Persistence, my brother a Manix 2, and my sister a Squeak. My brothers GF just asked if I'd buy her a knife for Christmas, so I guess I'll get her a Dragonfly. :D My mom may need a Spyderco santoku knife for the kitchen now. Dad, well he's stuck with the Skyline I gave him. He loses things too easily. :D

I chose the G10 Manix to get my brother, and I also agree that the Rat series and Zancudo/Avispa are great budget knives.

While I'm on the subject, I have a PM2, Delica and Tasman SE. I bought my sisters BF a Persistence, my brother a Manix 2, and my sister a Squeak. My brothers GF just asked if I'd buy her a knife for Christmas, so I guess I'll get her a Dragonfly. :D My mom may need a Spyderco santoku knife for the kitchen now. Dad, well he's stuck with the Skyline I gave him. He loses things too easily. :D

I LOL'd at this. It seems you are the knife guru in your family.

I don't know if guru is the right word, lol - I'm just the idiot that can't stop buying them. My brother also has a Skyline, RAT 2 and Zancudo that I gave him. LOL… :D

First off. It has been confirmed by both Taz Kristi and Michael Janich on the Spyderco Factory Forum that ALL the Manix 2 Lightweight handles are FRCP. So the handle that broke was not FRN and, regardless of how or why it broke, does not speak to the durability of Spyderco's FRN handles.

Yes Sir, you are correct - just checked spyderco's web site and catalog - 110V manix 2 has FRCP handles.
My mistake is from reading the description in the knifecenter.com http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP...satin-plain-s110v-blade-dark-blue-frn-handles it is designated as FRN

Military Cruwear.
PPT Sprint.
Manix 2 Combo Edge.
SB Stretch.
Valloton.
Techno.

All scheduled to be stuffed in my mailbox Monday afternoon.

It might just be a good day!

Military Cruwear.
PPT Sprint.
Manix 2 Combo Edge.
SB Stretch.
Valloton.
Techno.

All scheduled to be stuffed in my mailbox Monday afternoon.

It might just be a good day!

Holy smokes! Is it your birthday or something. Nice haul. I guess I shouldn't talk, I did buy eleven Spydies in one day once.

Enjoy those babies, you picked some of my favorites.

You should be dazzled. :D

Lol :p

My bets say the Military Cruwear and Techno go directly into your pocket. The Manix 2 CE turns into a work knife or put in your cars glovebox or something. The Valloton gets hidden in a drawer or collects dust on a dresser. And the SB Stretch gets neglected because immediately overshadowed by the others in your $800 pile... until one day in the future you use it and realize the brilliance, then wish you had taken notice earlier and bought more Stretches and Super Blue. :cool:

My bets say the Military Cruwear and Techno go directly into your pocket. The Manix 2 CE turns into a work knife or put in your cars glovebox or something. The Valloton gets hidden in a drawer or collects dust on a dresser. And the SB Stretch gets neglected because immediately overshadowed by the others in your $800 pile... until one day in the future you use it and realize the brilliance, then wish you had taken notice earlier and bought more Stretches and Super Blue. :cool:

The perils of getting exactly what you want, when you want it. Somethings going to get neglected. Of course, that list could be a "weekdays" EDC lineup.

This is indeed my first Stretch....it already became my favorite of all my Spydies and is with me at work right now.

The Vallotton is in my locker at work, gathering dust....but what a fantastically elegant knife!

Now these are some astute observations and I wouldn't be surprised if it plays out very close to this.

Now these are some astute observations and I wouldn't be surprised if it plays out very close to this.

The Cruwear Millie and Techno were obviously intended (at time of purchase) to go immediately in to pocket....no brainer, there.

The Manix CE was purchased solely as a home for the leftover Cruwear scales, as Steve has a pair of TS Kevlars almost done for the Cruwear Manix blade.

The Vallotton is for knifesterbating, almost exclusively.

The SB Stretch was used a bunch at work last night and is still in my pocket, quickly developing a really goofy patina, but is easily flickable after some break in and hard to not fondle.

Back