Spyderco General Chat Thread

Not sure if I'm even going to continue waiting on KW to deliver the PPT preorder....may call 'em in the morning and get a small or big Lake Summit instead, or a 710.

Glad to hear the Stretch is getting put to use! It's a great knife and sad I had to part with it.

If you pick up the small Summit Lake and decide you don't like it, I'll gladly take it off your hands! :D

The Cruwear Millie and Techno were obviously intended (at time of purchase) to go immediately in to pocket....no brainer, there.

The Manix CE was purchased solely as a home for the leftover Cruwear scales, as Steve has a pair of TS Kevlars almost done for the Cruwear Manix blade.

The Vallotton is for knifesterbating, almost exclusively.

The SB Stretch was used a bunch at work last night and is still in my pocket, quickly developing a really goofy patina, but is easily flickable after some break in and hard to not fondle.

Sounds like Speedholes was pretty dang close except for how long it was going to take you to fall for the stretch. ;)

^ haha, kinda close... too bad I can't get my lottery numbers closer, lol. :p

quickly developing a really goofy patina

Wabisabi.
...if you think patina is goofy, you should've stuck with stainless. :)

Anyone else in here read about that hinted bombshell of possible Millie/PM2 in midnight blue and S110V?
I dont have much experience with S110V, but that definitely got my attention. :eek:

Just got a Yo2 and an orange Assist. My girlfriend likes the Assist, so I'm going to have to keep my eye on it. o_O

The Assist feels really good. It's substantial in the hand without being heavy. Chunky blade, too!

The Yo2 is interesting. Grippy G10, thick blade, bad-@ssed thick blade with a high hollow grind. Makes me a little concerned for the delicate tip. My girlfriend wants to use it to cut veggies and other food prep tasks. Again, I'll likely have to keep my eye on it....

Just got a Yo2 and an orange Assist. My girlfriend likes the Assist, so I'm going to have to keep my eye on it. o_O

The Assist feels really good. It's substantial in the hand without being heavy. Chunky blade, too!

The Yo2 is interesting. Grippy G10, thick blade, bad-@ssed thick blade with a high hollow grind. Makes me a little concerned for the delicate tip. My girlfriend wants to use it to cut veggies and other food prep tasks. Again, I'll likely have to keep my eye on it....

I considered a Yo2, because I really like that style of blade and it's thick. But the "self defense" moniker has me steering clear. If it was marketed under a "utility" moniker I'd probably have one. Not to get all legaleeze crazy and whatnot, but the "self defense" moniker has me wondering how some edged confrontation would go down in court. The court saying something to this effect; "It's marketed as a self defense weapon, which means you carried it specifically with the intent to stab someone with it." Which could be bad, ya know. Anyway, I digress.

Enjoy the Yo2 and the Assist. Good luck keeping an eye on them. :D

Last edited:
You know there are pens, flashlights, and keyrings all marketed as "self defense" as well... I think you lost me on why that's a bad thing though...?

On an off-topic unrelated topic side-note topic.... Anyone in here carry a little "pry tool" type device to resist temptation to use their knife blade and use for prying and wedging tasks instead?
I've been carrying a little Snap-on screwdriver thing on a keychain for that purpose, but now I see all these other options... most seem like over hyped boutique collector items, but just wondering if anyone here has one they'd recommend that is a reasonable price?

On an off-topic unrelated topic side-note topic.... Anyone in here carry a little "pry tool" type device to resist temptation to use their knife blade and use for prying and wedging tasks instead?
I've been carrying a little Snap-on screwdriver thing on a keychain for that purpose, but now I see all these other options... most seem like over hyped boutique collector items, but just wondering if anyone here has one they'd recommend that is a reasonable price?

I carry a SAK everyday and it has good tools for prying plus the blades are ground super thin. Either the bottle or can opener work very well. I love SAKs. :)

You know there are pens, flashlights, and keyrings all marketed as "self defense" as well... I think you lost me on why that's a bad thing though...?

I didn't mean to imply self defense as "a bad thing" it's not. But to explain a bit about what I mean; the courts aren't really afraid of a pen, key ring or flashlight as a self defense item. Those are blunt force items, akin to a stick or a hammer. A knife on the other hand, you have to realize, there is a general fear about knives. And, consider that the courts and the public love to embrace fear, I just have reservations about carrying items marketed for "self defense" that have a cutting edge. That's all I really meant. I've spent my entire career around lawyers, so I know how they think.

Off topic: I have a Leatherman Brewzer and a Niteeze Doo hic Key. They are adequate for light prying and opening bottles. Truth be told, they are small, and sometimes its difficult to get the leverage needed to complete the task. Every time I use them it always crosses my mind that they are too small. But they work. Either one will serve you adequately. Personally though, I think, if you get one of the boutique pryers you'll go back to that Snap-on screwdriver. Both of the ones I mentioned are in the 10 dolllar range.

Actually, now that we are talking about it, can you tell me what type of Snap-on screwdriver you have on your key chain. I'm interested. :D

Last edited:
Actually, now that we are talking about it, can you tell me what type of Snap-on screwdriver you have on your key chain. I'm interested. :D

Me too.

Though when Casey gets around to making more of them, I'ma pick up a spaceman pry tool.

Question: (mostly rhetorical, but still debatable) When is Spyderco gonna update the camo pattern on the PM2? Perhaps a multicam version.

While the ACU digital pattern is still official issue, there is a new pattern coming out that closely resembles multicam, and will replace the digital pattern.

I'd like a multicam version PM2. Perhaps on the shorter PM?

I'd love to see the digicam G10 on the Delica, with S30v. :D

Oh my! Lets add in a compression lock in place of the back lock. And, And, an open back with a larger lanyard hole!! Yeah, Yeah!! Uh......wait a second...

Actually your idea would be a pretty cool sprint.

I love the back-lock on the Delica! :D

I was looking at those recently, and for that very reason.

This is what it looks like. It's nowhere near as thick as some of those purpose made Atwood and Currys and Grahams, or whatever...
I've also got an old round steel one from Sears Craftsman that has 4 screwdriver tips on it that I carried for a bit.
I've seen those Nite-ize doo-hic-keys at Lowes. Maybe I'll pick one up and see how it does for $10. I think it had a little scale on it too, but don't remember if it was metric or not?

2015-04-21%2023.05.13_zpsjaci9edu.jpg

...oh, and side note; those are DLC coated bicycle chain links. Been in my pocket daily for 2+ years now and very minimal wear around edges. Had a powder coated one that wore off clean in a matter of months... holding up well on the 2 bikes I have the DLC chain on as well, but the cost for it was near outrageous. Makes me feel better about using my coated Spydercos. :)

Yeah, try the cheap prybars first before dropping a bunch of cash on the outlandishly expensive and unnecessary but totally cool titanium status pieces.

I like that snap on screwdriver.....and the bicycle chain. Where'd you get them?

Hey check out County Com. They have some useful mini prybars, that actually work.

I'm the guy using my knife to pry things open all the time. I need one of those little pry bars, but I know that I'll never carry it with me. My key ring that has 3 keys and a fob is already too busy/bulky for me. For years I carried a single car key in my RR pocket - no house key, no fob, no nothing.

I always hang that 'biner keychain off of a belt loop so I always have that stuff on me.

Nice recommend on those County Comm pieces Tdhurl. They are VERY reasonably priced for USA made ti. I may try one eventually.
In the meantime I have also ordered a little one from Machine Era (along with a wallet).

Hey Dane, you may want to try one with a pocket clip then, or maybe attach a small one to a suspension clip.
Like Friar mentioned, Casey has that sweet looking pry bar with a clip (although a little large for my daily carry), but he's also going to do some suspension clips, which I may try hanging a small light off of, or maybe this little Machine Era tool...

fwiw... Today is my Black & Tan Para day. Thank you, Eric.
I need to carry this folder more often.
rolf

Back