Spyderco Karahawk - Show and Tell

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have to say most of what I've read about the karahawk in this and other forums has been borderline negative. I almost passed this knife up thinking this version was so flawed I should wait on some sort of update. I love karambit knives, I have a nice collection of high end and discontinued karambits as well and after receiving my karahawk I have to say I'm nothing but impressed and wouldn't change a thing...

This has been my experience as well for the most part. My first and only other Karambit was an Emerson I bought several months ago then sold it. There were things I just didn't like about it, mostly the fine tip of the blade. They have since redesigned that and I will likely try one if I can find a decent price on the secondary market down the road.

I was skeptical of the Karahawk for the same reasons as you but I have grown to like it a lot. Its compact size and thin profile are great. When I walk around in jacket weather I just keep it in my hand in a jacket pocket in a reverse grip. If I had to use it the deployment via Wave would be very fast. I am very fond of the blade's shape.

I would not mind seeing a spacer on the rings but I don't think it is a requirement. There is one change I would really like to see though: scales that cover the rings. Those rings stick up out of the pocket, which is already strange to see, and the shiny metal catches the eye. One person asked me about the Emerson but several have asked about the Karahawk. Granted, I have carried the Karahawk more so that could be a factor but I would like it to be more subdued. I asked Allen Putman about making scales for it. He said I was the first to ask but would look into it if he got more requests. I love his scales on my PM2. Also, I would not mind if the rings were slightly smaller but I know others have lager hands than mine.

Overall, I am a fan of the Karahawk. I would likely buy a new version but I would not sell mine.

A few photos:

_DSC5608%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsmkjdkswt.jpg

_DSC5597%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsuinsuql6.jpg

_DSC5595%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpswa0uwsoc.jpg

_1050817EditLayers1024Pixel8_zpsf48151d2.jpg

_DSC5629%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsge9sntjn.jpg

Last edited:
Thanx for the comments, We're still working on improvements. A "new" version is still a ways away.

I would like to add that there is a counterfeit out there.

sal

I would like to add that there is a counterfeit out there.

sal

At the risk of sounding paranoid, was that just a general public service announcement or was that in response to something fishy you see about mine? I did question it when I first got it due to some differences I saw in photos of others. My fears were laid to rest at that time but you would certainly be the authority on it.

I couldn't wait, and received the Karahawk yesterday. I own quite a few Spydercos and am a fan of the products. I had no clue of your name until I found this thread, Mr. Glesser. The Karahawk is indeed a fine knife from the end of the finger ring to the end of the blade. However I do have to say that the split ring is a huge disappointment to me. It is very uncomfortable, but I think by rounding off the edges with a dremel tool it could be salvageable. Mine came with very sharp edges inside and out on the ring. It's bad enough that I am considering using the 14 day return offered by the retailer and trying my luck with the Fox 599, though it's inferior liner lock concerns me. I agree with Photoman about the scales covering the ring and the attention the bare stainless ring will draw. If I keep it I may try to find a way to use cerakote or otherwise tone the ring down. Mr Glesser, would rounding off the edges or using cerakote ruin the warranty? I utilized it once before and the way you stand behind your products is a big consideration in my choices to purchase in the past. I still feel you are deserving of congratulations on this product, and regardless of how I proceed today will plan to get the revision of the Kerrahawk!

Hi Redhawk,

Welcome to our forum and thanx muchfor the kind words. We're still working with the maker to get the changes we're seeking. We made some protos ans sent them to a user we know. One had the inner ring and the other had both the inner ring and scale material extended all the way out to include the rings. The one with both coverings was preferred, but there are some interesting challenges in the changes. We'll keep working on it until we feel we've done all we can to improve the model, then we'll see the long term market reaction. I'm sure many feel that we're too slow, but Eric and I are usually working on more than 100 models at any given time and we try to keep all of them developing.

Persistence is King!

sal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continual refinement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind

Your welcome for the praise, but rest assured it comes sincerely and not out of an attempt at flattery. Regarding the speed of the changes, well, I'm from Bourbon country so I'm used to moving slower so as long as the end result is excellence then the wait is worth it. Rarely do rushed attempts prosper. I am busy with many other things and do not keep up to date with some of my interests such as blades, but will be awaiting the new model.

Hi Redhawk,

Welcome to our forum and thanx muchfor the kind words. We're still working with the maker to get the changes we're seeking. We made some protos ans sent them to a user we know. One had the inner ring and the other had both the inner ring and scale material extended all the way out to include the rings. The one with both coverings was preferred, but there are some interesting challenges in the changes. We'll keep working on it until we feel we've done all we can to improve the model, then we'll see the long term market reaction. I'm sure many feel that we're too slow, but Eric and I are usually working on more than 100 models at any given time and we try to keep all of them developing.

Persistence is King!

sal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continual refinement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind

Hey Sal any news on the karahawk trainer? I'm eyeing the P'kal trainer/knife combo, but if you guys come out with a Karahawk trainer I gotta add the Karahawk trainer/knife combo to my list as well.

I am in the market for a folding karambit, and definitely one with a wave opener. Having it be a Spyderco would be an added bonus. I will snatch up a Karahawk when the CQI advances. I look forward to seeing the improvements.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date Sal.

Wouldn't it be a simple fix to fill the split ring with JBweld or even some bedding compound (the stuff you bed rifles with)? I've used that stuff for filler in a lots of things. I used it to fabricate a broken part on one of our automatic gram stain instruments. They think I'm a genius!

I can't remember the brand, I think I got it from brownells, but it was a bedding kit that had this Sandy stuff you added to get it the consistency you wanted, and some dye to add to make it match the stock.

Hi Brasstacks,

The proto that we saw in May wasn't acceptable so they're making a new proto.

sal

I wonder if we will see a waved version of a hawkbill from spyderco besides the Kerahawk? I love the feel of the Kerahawk but I bought it as a defensive carry at work and the ring gets hooked and pulled from my pocket too often. I will try to sell it. I carry a SE spyderhawk for cutting rope etc and would love to have a similar knife waved and PE to carry left handed and used solely for defense.

Back