Spyderco Maxamet

I think I started a patina after a week. It will definitely stain faster than M4, but I don't think it's a bad thing.

IMG_8117.JPG

My Manix 2 LW in Maxamet came in yesterday. Hair whittling sharp and a nice, straight, pointy business end. :thumbsup:

Here is your update Mo2

This knife is from a customer that had it sharpened by another Sharpener that could not sharpen it and ruled it out as a heat treatment issue

I disagreed, and sharpened it just fine and got it on video.

The key is abrasive selection, following through on apex formation and just using light pressure when polishing and removing burr.

The softer stones seem to promote the Apex crumbling.

a bit of an update from DeadboxHero DeadboxHero

so he says its not the angle or bur. that could mean its the type of abrasives and or how you sharpen it on those abrasives? i dunno, any other theories?

I've only stroped mine - no stones yet. I'm surprised that steel this hard forms a burr. I would think diamond stones would be mandatory to get a good edge(?).

I've only stroped mine - no stones yet. I'm surprised that steel this hard forms a burr. I would think diamond stones would be mandatory to get a good edge(?).
Michael Emler did a few videos where he tried a variety of stones including dmt diamond stones to no avail. Emler knows how to sharpen pretty well too he just cries alot lol but he's a good guy and does great work.

That same knife was sent to deadboxhero to sharpen up on some different diamond and cbn abrasives than the dmt style stones. Vitrified cbn and bonded diamonds.

I'm thankful for the information provided as it helps us all learn about maxamet and its variables.

When I got my maxamet para3 I had only stropped it with 1 micron diamond paste. After some use I got a slight chip in the blade and used some venev bonded diamond stones for the kme and just hand sharpened it and finished with 1 micron paste again. Been swapping it in every few days in my current rotation to see how it holds up.

I sharpened Maxamet Manix2 with Atoma diamond plates on an edge pro. 400, 600 and 1200. Then stropped with balsa strops loaded with diamond spray. Honestly it was pretty easy going. I look forward to seeing what it can do now that it's sharp. (by my standards of sharp)

Rm0el3O.jpg

Back