Spyderco Maxamet

Pretty all the sprint run knives are gone when they're gone. So there won't be another Maxamet PM2. It'll be another new super steel, something tried out in the Mules and suitable for the PM2.

Pretty all the sprint run knives are gone when they're gone. So there won't be another Maxamet PM2. It'll be another new super steel, something tried out in the Mules and suitable for the PM2.
Maxamet was supposed to be a regular offering, like S110V... but It was left out of the 2018 catalogue and it Jefe said they aren’t sure if it will return

I think the last PM2 comment was inferring that there are enough issues with Maxamet that there will be no more PM2's in Maxamet

I hope the issues will be resolved. I absolutely love mine and would really not like putting it up because no more will be made. Unless I get a hold of another.

I checked mine against a random sampling of three others I grabbed. Just eyeing it from all sorts of angles as well as putting something flat along the blade lengthwise, I cannot discern a curve to one side on mine. I guess I either don't know what I am doing or I got lucky. Either way, I have been using mine and will continue to do so regardless of Maxamet's future on the PM2.

So Maxamet will no longer be used in 2018 due to some issue. Am I reading this thread correctly? If so, why what's been manufactured with this steel (again with the know issue) can become collector pieces? Just because something is rare does not automatically make it collectible.

So Maxamet will no longer be used in 2018 due to some issue. Am I reading this thread correctly? If so, why what's been manufactured with this steel (again with the know issue) can become collector pieces? Just because something is rare does not automatically make it collectible.

nope, but if its a PM2 and rare, it will definitely be collectable

Picked up a Maxamet lot with a Manix 2 and PM2.
I am really surprised how much more impressed I am with the Manix LW than the regular Manix 2. :thumbsup:

IMG-6944.jpg

Last edited:
It came in a few days ago.
And I am on the fence if I should keep it....

woJ5EQQl.jpg

What are you doing on that fence??? :D What is it that you don't like about it?

PIA to sharpen.
When I received it. It had minor PM2 tip and some edge chipping near the tip.
So I broke out the lansky and went to work.
90 minutes later. It's good to go.

M4, Cruware, HAP40, ZDP, Elmax, SB were a breeze.

Maxamet and S90V are a pain to sharpen
when it comes to reprofile because the edge is chipped.

The fence parts are.

I either by pass these steels because my sharpening equipment is not up to task or cough up some cash to up grade to diamonds.

If I keep it. Should I do a screw conversion because I hate rivet construction.
Or re-blade to G10.

Last edited:
PIA to sharpen.
When I received it. It had minor PM2 tip and some edge chipping near the tip.
So I broke out the lansky and went to work.
90 minutes later. It's good to go.

M4, Cruware, HAP40, ZDP, Elmax, SB were a breeze.

Maxamet and S90V are a pain to sharpen
when it comes to reprofile because the edge is chipped.

The fence part is.
I either by pass these steels because my sharpening equipment is not up to task or cough up some cash to grade to diamonds.

That is the delema...

#3.... If I keep it. Should I do a screw conversion because I hate rivet construction.

I did not find Maxamet too difficult at all to reprofile. Of course, mine didn't come with chips in the edge either. Once I reprofiled it, I found that stropping it helped keep it sharp. It strops up real nice and polishes well too.

If you find out how to do the screw conversion let me know. The rivet construction doesn't really bother me, but I would love to put one of those white ceramic balls in it if I do convert to screws/barrels.

It strops up real nice and polishes well too.

If you find out how to do the screw conversion let me know.

I would love to put one of those white ceramic balls in it if I do convert to screws/barrels.

Yes it does strop well.

It is in need of a action job...
Ceramic ball and 1 1/2 coils cut.

Might as well do a screw conversion.
I'll post pics when the parts arrive.

Just got a Native 5 in Maxamet today. I am looking forward to using it.

I'm also surprised how when the Calypso Jr. was discontinued, how many Spyderco designs are "morphing" into it. Kind of funny. Still have all my Calypso's, my favorite folder of all time.

I just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for helping to lighten my wallet. Been thinking about a maxamet manix for a while, and this thread just pushed me over the edge. Thanks guys :)

I just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for helping to lighten my wallet. Been thinking about a maxamet manix for a while, and this thread just pushed me over the edge. Thanks guys :)
Welcome Sdid. It’s a wonderful knife and am sure you’ll enjoy it. Strop it often and keep it oiled if you don’t want a patina. I like the patina myself and use it for many edc tasks, including food prep.

Thanks for the input. I love the hell out of my standard manix lw, so I'm excited about the idea of one of my favorite knives in a great steel.
How quickly did your patina start? I mostly have stainless blades, other than a couple in m4. Haven't really had any issues with them, do you know if it is comparable to that as far as stain resistance?

Back