Spyderco Mule Team Details

Thanks for the link. Now I can see that the rules were set a week ago on another forum. They would have been nice to know here too. Doesn't change much how I feel. ss.

I agree with you. I finally got a phone call today, almost a month after I called. I realize that Spyderco was trying to do something for us knuts, but it was certainly mishandled quite a bit.

I think I'll pass.

My earlier attitude was premature and unjustified as I stated I hoped it was, so my premature apology is also in effect. Now that I know the rules and the procedures, I'll follow them.:) Regards, ss.

ZH: Thanks again for the link. I'll lurk there to try and stay informed. ss

Your passion just indicates your enthusiasm. :)

It is the first time they have done this sort of thing, so they were a few kinks (like only posting on the home forum...usually they post announcement on both ;) )

A favourite quote, "Pobody is nerfect".

I'm a bit baffled at the some of the responses I've seen here. I realize that this is something of a community project, and that people feel like they deserve to be "in the loop," but if you haven't sent Spyderco any money, they don't really owe you anything...
The initial list was, as has been mentioned over and over again, an effort to find out whether the interest expressed in the forums was genuine. Spyderco went out on a limb and trusted that we were going to buy these blades as we said we would, and it's now up to us to prove that their trust is well-placed.

If Spyderco had asked us all to pay up-front to fund this project, things would have worked out differently--and I doubt that the project would have been very successful. Hopefully, the way things are, we'll all get to play with the neat-o steels, Spyderco will gain some useful feedback on the steels (not to mention brand loyalty), and everyone will come out ahead of the game.

(Then again, I only heard about this project last fall, so what do I know...)

This was really a great idea, and thanks for trying so hard to make this fair for everyone. You all did a great job!!!

Thank you,

TVick

I agree that this is a great idea! I just hope there's still one available on the 15th when I get paid!!!
Greg

Kristi is a treasure! I made a desperate inquiry a few days ago at 1:00 AM. The next day, Kristi sent an email with a gracious reply answering my questions and clarifying the circumstances. Thank you Kristi.:) Best Regards, ss.

I have been really excited about this project ,then I heard they were all sold out. I was
disappointed but it really was my fault for not checking back enough. Being a Scrapyard fan helped me understand the process as it is par for the course for the Busse boys. I got a PM this morning saying they were back in stock and I got my 2. I am really looking forward to seeing these in action and putting them up against my Strider ED and Swamp Warden. 2 very similar knives. The Swarden is even 52100.

I have been really excited about this project ,then I heard they were all sold out. I was
disappointed but it really was my fault for not checking back enough. Being a Scrapyard fan helped me understand the process as it is par for the course for the Busse boys. I got a PM this morning saying they were back in stock and I got my 2. I am really looking forward to seeing these in action and putting them up against my Strider ED and Swamp Warden. 2 very similar knives. The Swarden is even 52100.

hehheh, yeah Unsub, par for the course ;)

Kristi is a treasure!

Glad she's helping OTHER people out...:rolleyes:

I agree it's kinda frustrating to ask to be informed and then not have it happen. Oh, well. It's in the past, chalk it up to experience. I'm pleased that there are still some left and that they're so inexpensive. I about panicked when I saw a few of the previous posts. I guess we'll all have to register on the Spyderco website so we can stay informed. Whatever it takes.
I'm glad I've got one and look forward to the future iterations.:)

Take care, all.

Mine is here and it was way better than I was expecting. It is quite a bit bigger than the
Strider. Stained like crazy though.

What will the next steel be,Sal?

If you have not decided what are some possiblities?

A H1 might be interesting. Going from no corrosion resistance to the most. What are you really giving up for a lack of rust, if anything?

ZDP 189. I want to see how ZDP does against my favourite simple carbon steel. Because both steels excel in the same area it will be interesting to see how they do.

10V?

S7? Normally it would be the last steel I would think of for this type of knife since even though it is the toughest steel by a long margin it has poor edge holding. What if with good geometry and heat treat you could get adequate edge holding? Then you could have an incredible tough steel for hard use knives.

420 HC? ,I for one would love to see if Cliff's assertions could be proven or disproven.
The price could be even lower although not by as much as you would expect because
most of the cost is not the steel.

D2? I think it is over rated. It also works well in this type of knife.

To me, The mule team should feature steels that aren't in common use. 420HC, D2, H1, Zdp, etc. are now common. 10V , M4 , cru-ware, and other less common steels that have what it takes to make good knives are the ones I'd love to see. If I wanted 420HC, I could buy a Bos heat treated buck for about $20 at k mart. Whatever Sal ultimately choses will be good, with a very good heat treatment. At this stage of the process it's probably best to have Sal chose IMO. The way the 52100 mules turned out, and the price they sold at was nothing short of amazing. Joe

Good point Joe ,there are lots of D2 H1 and ZDP knives although I would love a ZDP knife in this price range. I would like to see S7 because my Scrapyard knives seem to hold a better edge than they should so a scientific method of proving or disproving it would be nice.

Okay, I feel I owe Kristi an apology for my last post. :eek: Although in the past she hadn't returned my e-mails, she got back to me right away when I tried to register at the Spyderco forum. She also told me exactly what to do to register. My foot is firmly planted in my mouth... :foot:

Now I'm gonna go read the mule team review I just saw...

Are these all gone ? I had emailed Spyderco a while back with no response figured I was on some kind of list. Was gone for a while and come to find they had been released & sold out.

I heard yesterday they had many left.
Did you check the SFO ?

10:32PMpst - Yep, they're sold out. Always check early and often, sorry ya' missed the 52100. More will follow ~ ; - )

I'm hoping that tomorrow they may add some more stock as I have been reading this was done in stages. So there may be hope. As for the 52100 its not the best knife for me due to being a Firefighter & its low resistance to rust, but I would lke to own all of the series.

So is that it for the 52100 mule team?? The site is out of stock now, but I called the factory store and the lady I spoke to said there is going to be a second run of the blades but that she didn't know when. Anybody from spyderco know if they are gone for good or if they will be back in stock soon?

600 mules

200 went to collectors
400 left for everyone else

Mules were sold in batches of 50 through the SFO and have now sold out.

You never know Sal might make another Batch, but imo it is doubtful.

aj

Back