Spyderco Mule Team Details

The MT01P is sold out. I'm sorry, we won't be making any more in the 52100. We'll announce again once the next steel is confirmed.

Kristi

Thanks, but I got mine last week :)

I was responding to the comment that only SFO was selling them. I just wondered if New Graham sold them, how many 3rd party sellers were doing it?:confused:

well i am very disappointed that i missed the first mule after looking it over i really like he design ./. i won't let the next tone slip me by ... btw sal i think this is a fabulous idea ... i have always been interested in physical metallurgy and i think having similar f not identical knives in different steels that you can put through their paces in tandem is a fabulous idea ... thanks spyderco ... this just makes me remember why i ave been carrying you for years

Just a note of thanks to Sal. I got my refund check for the shipping on the Mule yesterday. I had no idea that the price was meant to include the shipping and this certainly makes the knife an even more astounding offer than it already was.

I am sure that issuing and processing all of those refunds ate into the budget of an already non-profit proposition. I probably would never have known the difference if you had simply decided it was more trouble to issue refunds than it was worth, and even if I had learned of it I somehow wouldn't have been upset, or at least not enough to demand a refund.

I am not one of those who is in love with all things Spyderco but this decision of yours goes a long way toward reinforcing my perception of your basic integrity and dedication to values that are indeed higher than the bottom line. Bless your business and your day!

Well, I won't miss out on the next batch. I wouldn't mind seeing one in H-1 or VG10.

Doh, missed out on this. I've been trying to follow this since the day it started, which seems like forever ago. So much time passed between the start of this idea to the release of the first knife I missed the announcement, and I had checked here shortly before the announcement... I also don't seem to have gotten an email about this, and I'm pretty sure I sent in my contact info at the start of this whole deal. Guess there weren't any knives reserved for those of us who got in early...

The MT01P is sold out. I'm sorry, we won't be making any more in the 52100. We'll announce again once the next steel is confirmed.
Kristi

Sorry? This is fantastic! the first Mule Team knife is a hit!
I'm dancing in the streets (well, bushes actually) because this means there will be a second run, and eventually all the steel sniffers will have their fill, and the world will be at peace, and I will die happy.

Or maybe I'll just keep enjoying the great knives you guys put out.

Good job.

Well I have been on the look out for these since I missed the first. But I found a seller with 2 on Ebay for $100 so much for these being used and abused :barf: I find that due to the numbers of these made & how they were distributed these will more than likely sit in someones collection then do what they were designed to be for.

Just my impressions.

Again,
I would urge "patience" . :cool:
My Mule is still out of state getting scales and the sheath isn't back either.

Hard to use it, if it's not "usable" :D

I was hoping Spyderco would sell a set of handles for use to slap on. Something that could be taken off and on the various Mule knives.

Also it would be nice if we could sign up and have blades reserved for us, and if we don't claim them in say 30 days, they get sold to the first taker.

Just a note of thanks to Sal. I got my refund check for the shipping on the Mule yesterday. I had no idea that the price was meant to include the shipping and this certainly makes the knife an even more astounding offer than it already was.

I am sure that issuing and processing all of those refunds ate into the budget of an already non-profit proposition. I probably would never have known the difference if you had simply decided it was more trouble to issue refunds than it was worth, and even if I had learned of it I somehow wouldn't have been upset, or at least not enough to demand a refund.

I am not one of those who is in love with all things Spyderco but this decision of yours goes a long way toward reinforcing my perception of your basic integrity and dedication to values that are indeed higher than the bottom line. Bless your business and your day!

Hi Natch,

Thanx for the positive comment.

It seems that there are more complaints than we anticipated. I thought I was pretty clear about the project when we began, I guess not.

I tried to keep everyone up to date on the forums. That's where the project was born and that is the source of information. I realize it may be "inconvenient" for some, but it is an "inconvenient" project for everyone in the business chain.

If you want us to sign you up and contact you, add $10-$15 to the cost. If we have to sit on inventory for 30 days or more, add another $10. If we have to make handles, say G-10, that's another $20-$30. Sheath $25 - $30. Then they're taking up so much time that they cut into other models, so we'll have to add profit. I think you can see the pattern.

We will try to sort out some of the problems on the next run (enlarged mounting holes, shipping overseas USPS, etc), but we will probably still announce them on the forums, ship from SFO, not make handles or sheaths.

We will probably have to increase to 1000 pcs for some materials due to minimum requirements from some foundries or factories.

We will look into a "sign-up" possibility, but using staff to list and contact 600+ customers (2 contacts) plus follow ups, and "Gee I don't want it now, can you hold it?", then secondary contacts, etc. is not what I had in mind.

sal

Sal,

You were VERY clear. The complaints are most likely examples of idiots not reading or keeping up to date.

Do EXACTLY as you have been doing. You guys are wonderful and will always be at the top of any list of knifemakers.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Brett

Hi Natch,

Thanx for the positive comment.

It seems that there are more complaints than we anticipated. I thought I was pretty clear about the project when we began, I guess not.

I tried to keep everyone up to date on the forums. That's where the project was born and that is the source of information. I realize it may be "inconvenient" for some, but it is an "inconvenient" project for everyone in the business chain.

If you want us to sign you up and contact you, add $10-$15 to the cost. If we have to sit on inventory for 30 days or more, add another $10. If we have to make handles, say G-10, that's another $20-$30. Sheath $25 - $30. Then they're taking up so much time that they cut into other models, so we'll have to add profit. I think you can see the pattern.

We will try to sort out some of the problems on the next run (enlarged mounting holes, shipping overseas USPS, etc), but we will probably still announce them on the forums, ship from SFO, not make handles or sheaths.

We will probably have to increase to 1000 pcs for some materials due to minimum requirements from some foundries or factories.

We will look into a "sign-up" possibility, but using staff to list and contact 600+ customers (2 contacts) plus follow ups, and "Gee I don't want it now, can you hold it?", then secondary contacts, etc. is not what I had in mind.

sal

Sal,

You were VERY clear. The complaints are most likely examples of idiots not reading or keeping up to date.

Do EXACTLY as you have been doing. You guys are wonderful and will always be at the top of any list of knifemakers.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Brett
I'll second that... you made it CRYSTAL CLEAR........ Sal.

This was not to be a "for profit" project for Spyderco.

I would imagine with everything involved on your end, at the VERY BEST it has been a "break even" event.....
........And more probably a LOSS.

It was made crystal clear..... again, up front by SPYDERCO [SAL] ...... that to keep this as affordable as possible to the end user... [US]..... that it would be a bare blade only knife.

NO SCALES
NO SHEATH
NO OPTION.... ON or OF.... EITHER of THE ABOVE

I cannot for the life of me understand what is so hard to understand about that........ ?

Sure, I for one would like to send you a few hundred dollars, my name and address, leave you alone..... and when they came they came..... whenever that turned out to be.
I have made that known.. and will not keep asking.

IF... you all decide to do that ... fine, I'll do it. But I am not gonna keep bugging you.

This is my suggestion to everyone else............... LEAVE IT ALONE ......

Be thankful there is a company that is willing to do this.

Quit moaning and griping and either get on board or get out of the way.

Let Spyderco do what they are going to do, live with it and support it.

MY .02 ..............;)

I agree as well; I'm not even a huge spyderco collector and I thought that the mule team project was pretty clear as well. I really like the idea of being able to try out different steels myself at such a great price!! I look forward to the continuation of the project and thank the spyderco company for thinking up such a great idea!

I agree, it's great the way it is.:thumbup: I just had a pair of screw on scales made so that I can transfer them to the new mules whenever.

!00% agreement from me.
I love the new steels to experiment and now that we've had a chance to get sheaths or makes scales, the rest will be a piece of cake.

Again, Kudos to Sal and Spyderco ~ ; - )

Im kinda new to all of this, just got my first Spyderco recently (a Street Beat). Two queations:

Can anyone recommend a great custom sheathmaker (for my Street Beat), perferrably leather. The River City Sheaths by Mike S look nice, but leather options would be cool too...

What exactly is the Mule Team? I think I have a basic idea, but am not toally certain I know what the Mule team is all about. Thanks!

Back