Spyderco Mule Team Details

There are several sheath makers here. The only one I remember off-hand is Gary W Graley (I don't generally do fixed blades, so I don't keep track of sheath makers).

The Mule Team is a bare bones blade to put new steel into the hands of users as inexpensively as possible. This one is a full tang flat ground leaf blade with no scales or sheath. The idea is to make the exact same blade in a number of different steels to enable us to compare the properties of the steels instead of comparing steel, edge length, edge geometry, and overall grind at the same time. Basic scientific principle - change only one variable at a time to make a valid comparison.

Of course, Sal being Sal, instead of a simple, ugly test blade he gave us the best do-it-yourself knife kit blade ever marketed.:rolleyes: Way to go, Sal. :D :thumbup:

I love the MT as is please don't change a thing.

I can't wait to find out the next steel.

Maybe there is enough interest for a similar skelly handled knife to be a part of the regular line up. If you sold a VG10 version even without a sheath for 59$ I would buy one and a lot of the people who missed the Mule would as well.

I prefer no sheath to a crappy sheath anyway.

If you sold a VG10 version even without a sheath for 59$ I would buy one and a lot of the people who missed the Mule would as well.
same here.

on the "don't change a thing" side though, I disagree. there are some points that would be cool to change, anyway most are going to be changed according to Sal. (I talk about international shipping and non-standard sized holes)

Touche

I would much prefer USPS to UPS because of the brutal and random charges UPS inflicts on it's Canadian customers.

I thought they were a standard size just some people had some trouble figuring it out?

I am about ready for the next Mule now!

Well, I'm disappointed that I missed it, but very happy at the price point...

And Sal's been so nice to me (and just plain nice in general), it's not like I could be mad anyway. :)

John

Touche

I would much prefer USPS to UPS because of the brutal and random charges UPS inflicts on it's Canadian customers.

I am about ready for the next Mule now!
:thumbup:
Quote your message for all the Europen side of the World;)

Hmmm, If I was a dyed in the wool steel junky who would be my favorite knifemaker/Company C.E.O. ?

Sal, you might consider a slightly bigger run for that one. Just a thought. Joe

So will the price be the same? if not when will we know.

So will the price be the same?

Just based on steel cost, I would imagine the price will be higher - but that's just my guess. At one company that sells both 52100 and CPM-M4 sheet steel - the M4 costs a little more than 3 times as much as 52100.

Sal has said that the Mule Team Project will operate on a "cost +" basis. Steel cost is only part of the total cost and I certainly have no idea what portion that might be. Shaping/grinding, finishing, heat treating, engraving, etc. all have to be included and may vary with the steel type.

if it is over $80 I will have to sit this run out.

one question, is cpm m-4 stainless? that will also play a role in my decision, however a friend of mine just obtained a powder coater so regaurdless of the steel the blade will be OD or black ;)

if it is over $80 I will have to sit this run out.

one question, is cpm m-4 stainless? that will also play a role in my decision, however a friend of mine just obtained a powder coater so regaurdless of the steel the blade will be OD or black ;)

From what I've read M-4 in not "stainless", as with 52100. But so far I've had no rusting on my 52100 Mule. Reportedly, luckily for you, M-4 does take coating well :)

I have several "in-the-works", but the plan is CPM-M4.

sal
Thank you sal! I eagerly await the M4 Mule and I have plans to test it thoroughly. :D

I have just gotten back my 52100 Mule from the shop for scaling today but I have already started to put it though its paces.

Do we have a rough ETA yet?

CPM-M4 sounds phenomenal.......I will NOT miss out on this one.

Thanks Sal

Cerberus

Back