Spyderco Paysan - lock slip?

I was able to check out another locally yesterday. It had lock slip as well. That’s 2/2 that I’ve had my hands on.

I went ahead and ordered 3 more Paysans today from a friendly vendor. Im hoping this will result in either me finding a good one, or providing fellow forum members with more conclusive results on the issue from a larger sample.

I’m kind of living up to my username here... haha

Bad news. I just got 3 more Paysans in the mail, and ALL 3 have lock issues identical to the video previously posted. That is 5 of 5 Paysans I’ve had my hands on with lock issues. I’m now confident this is a very wide spread issue and that a lot of people who “don’t have the issue” aren’t testing for it.

I’m going to see if Spyderco will confirm they are fixing the design before sending any in. If they don’t, I’m returning them and getting my money back.

Long story short, don’t buy a Paysan if you plan on hard use, like the idea of being able to use it hard, or want a properly designed knife.

Last edited:
I still don't quite understand the issue on a frame lock, you apply pressure on the lockbar?

I still don't quite understand the issue on a frame lock, you apply pressure on the lockbar?

You mean because your hand is against the lock it should be good to go? That's not how they are designed to work; your hand shouldn't be what keeps it from unlocking.

If that was the case, the design would certainly always call for late lock up. As is, you'd have to be squeezing pretty dang tight to keep it from budging the 1/8 inch or so.

Not saying the hand can't help, but just being a frame lock doesn't mean slip isn't a problem.

You mean because your hand is against the lock it should be good to go? That's not how they are designed to work; your hand shouldn't be what keeps it from unlocking.

If that was the case, the design would certainly always call for late lock up. As is, you'd have to be squeezing pretty dang tight to keep it from budging the 1/8 inch or so.

Not saying the hand can't help, but just being a frame lock doesn't mean slip isn't a problem.

Well I have a bit flex in my Paysan but to get it to fully slip I would have to put so much force on it that its ridiculous. There is no scenario where I feel it would be an issue, especially when I grip the knife.
I do however agree that it shouldn't move at all.

Well I have a bit flex in my Paysan but to get it to fully slip I would have to put so much force on it that its ridiculous. There is no scenario where I feel it would be an issue, especially when I grip the knife.

A common scenario where this could be a problem is if someone is running the knife through thick cardboard and the blade gets pinched. In order to get the knife moving again, most will pull the knife back and forth with force. If the lock fails as the knife is pushed forward, it will cause the blade to free up and close shut- right across all the fingers on the handle.

A lot of knives are designed in a way such that little to no force is placed on the lockbar when you grip it and squeeze, as the ergonomics don't lend to pressure being placed directly on the lockbar. I have some framelocks that you can slip a dowel under the lock bar and disengage it without additional difficulty if you are squeezing it or not. The Paysan may or not be this way for you, but it's not a sure thing that framelocks benefit from users gripping them, at least not for all users and different hands. In any case, the interface on a frame lock shouldn't slip.

Has anyone confirmed if this was fixed or they're not going to? Been a while since release now...

I’ve been waiting for a replacement from Spyderco since August. They said they didn’t have anymore. I think the retailers are just now finishing selling the initial run, and hope that means there’s demand to make more (with some improvements). I’ll gladly wait for that.

Has anyone confirmed if this was fixed or they're not going to? Been a while since release now...

I bought one from DLT in Apr and another from KnifeCenter in May of this year and the lockup is complete shit on both. Before anyone labels me a hater, I have two Nirvanas, and a bunch of other notable Taichung models released in the past 5 or 6 years.

The Paysan is an amazing knife, that's totally ruined by its lock. This price...for this lock? I'm not disappointed, I'm disgusted. You don't know how much I regret this post but I feel like I speak for others who have also love(d) Spyderco for a long time.

Last edited:
It’s super frustrating: lock slip, rock lock, off centered blades. I get that with anything production can vary, but it’s a bummer having to roll the dice.

Shame to see this is still an issue, I sent my knife in for lock slip over a year ago. I was met with some absolute horrible customer service by Spyderco. They ended up sending a replacement knife back to me which was worse than the one I had initially sent in.

Back