Spyderco Paysan - lock slip?

Option 1: $800.00 in house credit to go towards any of their knives. For a second that sounded great until I started looking at the MSRP prices of all their knives and just how far my "In House Credit" would go. $620.00 for the Drunken (Sells for $409.50 anywhere online) .... I was looking at getting a second one of these but not at that price.
y

Seems like a good option to me. I don't understand your objection to the pricing. Yes, you'll pay MSRP for a new knife but you're also being credited with MSRP for the Paysan so it's a wash.

y

Seems like a good option to me. I don't understand your objection to the pricing. Yes, you'll pay MSRP for a new knife but you're also being credited with MSRP for the Paysan so it's a wash.

Exactly. They give you msrp credit, and it's not like you get to get something and then use the leftover credit for something else. Get a Drunken. I want one, but I can't bring myself to spend 400 bucks on a knife.

I hope they have another sinkevich collab, or make a cheaper version of the drunken. I do love the looks of it, and enjoy my Kershaw and zt sinkevich knives.

y

Unfortunately I have all the Spydercos I currently want (including the drunken). I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and request the knife back and just use the hell out of it until they come back in stock and exchange it for a new one.

Unfortunately I have all the Spydercos I currently want (including the drunken). I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and request the knife back and just use the hell out of it until they come back in stock and exchange it for a new one.

Let us know if they agree to that.

Following.
My Paysan has horrible, audible lock stick. Haven't tested on failure yet.

Well.... slight update. Not really the news I was hoping for. They gave me TWO options; they stated my knife had arrived and would normally send a replacement right out but they are out of stock currently and it could take "months" to receive another shipment (My guess is they may be trying to fix the issues?)

Option 1: $800.00 in house credit to go towards any of their knives. For a second that sounded great until I started looking at the MSRP prices of all their knives and just how far my "In House Credit" would go. $620.00 for the Drunken (Sells for $409.50 anywhere online) .... I was looking at getting a second one of these but not at that price.

Option 2: Be put on the list and wait "Months" for the Paysans to come back in stock and hope they actually fixed them.

I was not given an option 3, I'am really hoping they will at the very least return my knife free of charge ( I paid shipping + insurance to get it to them)

Paysans are currently "in stock" and available for sale on Spyderco's website.

I just bought one as an OpFocus member a few minutes ago. I doubt that they have many for sale and expect the available stock to sell out quickly. Hopefully, they've fixed the lock slip/stick problems in this new batch that prior purchasers have complained about in earlier production models. We'll see . . .

BTW, Drunkens are also showing as "in stock" and available for sale direct from Spyderco too. Rare to see both of these knives available there for sale at all, let alone at the same time.

Last edited:

I would be surprised if Spyderco agrees to this. It was sent in for an unsafe lock so they could potentially
be held liable if anything happened as a result of them sending you a knowingly unsafe knife to use.

I could be wrong though and am curious as to whether they send it back to you or keep it.

Received my Paysan yesterday.

I don't think there is any "lock slip" because the lock up is so tight that the lock bar simply can't be moved w/o considerable outward force. I didn't test it (as in the video) by mounting the blade in a vice but I haven't done that w/any other folder in my collection and am not sure how many of those knives would also fail such a test. I just don't think that this blade will close on me inadvertently in "normal" use

Don't think there is any lock "stick" either but this opinion requires a little explanation.

There is definite friction between the tip of the lock bar and the portion of the blade that it abuts which prevents an entirely smooth closure (more like a "click" than a "stick"). However, I associate the term "lock stick" with friction between the end of a titanium lock bar and the steel end of a blade (like on my ZT0560). The titanium lock bar on the Paysan is tipped w/what I assume is a steel insert. So, there is no titanium "lock stick" as I understand it.

Nonetheless, the friction that does exist is a minor annoyance that some light smoothing/shaping of the lock bar tip (which is removable) should solve but I'm not ready to to that yet. May do it later if I decide to keep the knife for the long term but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet either.

Bottom line, it's a nice knife. The shape of the titanium handle feels very good in my hand and I like the heft of the blade which places the balance slightly forward. I also like the size/shape of the blade and the use of S90V steel but, for the price, I would have hoped for even better steel than that.

Is it worth $400, which is what I paid for it as an OpFocus member? I think so, at least as compared w/other knives currently in the same price range, like the MUDD Auto that I recently purchased and the BRS ALT Alpha Beast balisong that I traded it for and the Gen 6 Hinderer XM-18 3.0 that I sold.

But is it worth $520 at MAP which is the price most people would have to pay for it at retail? Unfortunately, at that level, I think not. So, if you can find it for resale at or below $450 (which is what it's selling for currently in the 2ndary mkt), I'd say it's a "fair" price but at any more than that, I think that you could do better.

Update 7/23:
Just traded the Paysan for a Tilt and am much happier. :)

Last edited:
Let us know if they agree to that.
Yes and no. They said the knife was deemed unsafe and I could have it sent back but I would not be able to send it in again for warranty.... so I just told them to keep it.

Fast forward to yesterday. New replacement Paysan showed up andddddd it is worse than the one I sent in. Lock rock is still there and now this one has lockstick which my other one barley had a whisper of. The lock stick on this one is very noticeable and audible. The lock rock is noticeable and audible. Not very happy about this. I've already sent them a lengthy email asking why this knife wasn't checked before it was sent to me. Seems stupid to send a customer a replacement knife that has the exact same issue as the reason they sent it in and on top of the lock stick.

The only positive to everything is I got a new pouch. Will keep updated on what happens next. I really don't have much hope that any problems will be fixed, Or possibly ever be fixed.

I'm going to use the hell out of this knife and treat it like a $5 gas station knife until I send it back and get another one. I'm thinking at minimum it will be months before any actual changes happen... if that ever happens. Seems like they just cant get Peter's knives right, a damn shame because the Paysan & Nirvana are gorgeous knives... unfortunately plagued with issues. My drunken is flawless thankfully. One of my all time favorite Spydercos ever released.

Attachments

• 20190726_191622-907x1209.jpg
    20190726_191622-907x1209.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190726_192321-1209x907.jpg
    20190726_192321-1209x907.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
WOW - very surprised by the content of this thread and the LACK of content by ANYONE from Spyderco.

Agreed. They don't seem very concerned with this being a big issue; especially considering this is
their flagship model and most expensive knife.

Spyderco listens closely so I'm sure they're paying attention and conducting their own research and seeking solutions. It is disappointing though.

I'm going to use the hell out of this knife and treat it like a $5 gas station knife until I send it back and get another one.

I truly hope they don't accept your return. That is disgusting and awful customers like you are the reason some companies stopped accepting returns altogether.

WOW - very surprised by the content of this thread and the LACK of content by ANYONE from Spyderco.

It doesn't surprise me that Sal would not want to comment publicly on this matter. What's the point?

You've got a disgruntled customer who isn't happy even after he got a FREE replacement of a $800 MSRP knife. Any remaining issues should be handled privately between the parties involved.

Agreed. They don't seem very concerned with this being a big issue; especially considering this is
their flagship model and most expensive knife.

Huh? They sent the guy an entirely new knife $800 MSRP knife in exchange for the one he didn't like/complained about. That seems pretty "concerned" and responsive to me.

I truly hope they don't accept your return. That is disgusting and awful customers like you are the reason some companies stopped accepting returns altogether.

The poster may have just retorted that sentiment in a burst of anger and frustration but be advised that Sal Glesser reads this subforum and although he rarely comments on posts of this nature, he can easily instruct Spyderco to be alert if / when. What the poster had said, if carried out, is self-incriminating which offers grounds for voiding the warranty!

Yes and no. They said the knife was deemed unsafe and I could have it sent back but I would not be able to send it in again for warranty.... so I just told them to keep it.

Fast forward to yesterday. New replacement Paysan showed up andddddd it is worse than the one I sent in. Lock rock is still there and now this one has lockstick which my other one barley had a whisper of. The lock stick on this one is very noticeable and audible. The lock rock is noticeable and audible. Not very happy about this. I've already sent them a lengthy email asking why this knife wasn't checked before it was sent to me. Seems stupid to send a customer a replacement knife that has the exact same issue as the reason they sent it in and on top of the lock stick.

The only positive to everything is I got a new pouch. Will keep updated on what happens next. I really don't have much hope that any problems will be fixed, Or possibly ever be fixed.

I'm going to use the hell out of this knife and treat it like a $5 gas station knife until I send it back and get another one. I'm thinking at minimum it will be months before any actual changes happen... if that ever happens. Seems like they just cant get Peter's knives right, a damn shame because the Paysan & Nirvana are gorgeous knives... unfortunately plagued with issues. My drunken is flawless thankfully. One of my all time favorite Spydercos ever released.

If you "use the hell" out of the replacement knife you got, they will NOT (and should NOT) have to give you another knife. They would resharpen and repair the knife (as necessary) under warranty but if you want to f*ck up a $800 MSRP knife, that sounds pretty f*cking stupid to me but it's your $ and your knife. Do as you please.

Just don't expect Spyderco to send you another knife when you post sh*t like this about them and the knife here.

Back