Spyderco Repair Service Review

Would you consider a Sage 5? Also with a 3-inch blade but one that’s thinner and slicier, it has a great ergonomic handle and a deep carry wire clip. S30V, so not an exotic steel. Not sure if they’d swap for it directly, as it’s slightly more expensive.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. They give the option to pay the difference if you want something pricier, which is nice/makes sense. The Sage just doesn't do it for me. I do want something "off the menu" so to speak in Para 3. I'm thinking of steering into the skid and going for the Genzow Hathethawk, adding some $$$ into the bargain.

Separate but related, I bought a new purple Lynch Para 3 clip in anticipation of the S35VN Para 3 making it's way back to me so that is nagging at me. 1st world problems, yada yada....

I don't see anything interesting coming out in the planned releases re: Para 3 and that drives me to pick something off the shelf. I'm considering a fully serrated plain jane Para 3 just to do SOMETHING different. Looking at 2nd hand absurdly priced Para 3 sprints also. There's a March end time limit to choose or they'll just send the original Para 3 back and close the service case.

Just for a counterpoint from a customer who likes your current service and cost, I’ve learned to be satisfied with mailing my knife to you and not thinking about it til I receive the shipping notice that indicates it’s being sent back to me. I think you would contact me if there were anything I needed to know or decide before then.

A couple of times I’ve wondered whether you’d charge extra for the work or parts I requested, but you haven’t. I don’t intend to belittle others’ concerns, but in my experience Spyderco has great service. And I’ve also dealt with “high end” makers, production and custom.
It's when I get a voicemail for over 2 weeks (extension 255) that they are away from the desk and to leave a message. I did this over 6 times with all my information for 2 weeks. I have yet to get an email that they even recieved my knife.....I'm not satisfied as you are so I figure something might be off at headquarters

It's when I get a voicemail for over 2 weeks (extension 255) that they are away from the desk and to leave a message. I did this over 6 times with all my information for 2 weeks. I have yet to get an email that they even recieved my knife.....I'm not satisfied as you are so I figure something might be off at headquarters
I understand your frustration. Maybe this is because of IWA 2019? I know Eric Glesser was there along with other Spyderco reps supporting them at the show.

You can see from my earlier comments that my main "complaint" about Spyderco's customer service is the general lack of communication.

Seems like I had better luck that you did when I called the warranty/service department. I almost always got someone on the phone; usually the same guy (based on his voice) but I never got his name.

However, I would NEVER send them another knife w/o requiring a signature guarantee (that, of course, costs more $) but it will at least confirm that they received the knife. One of the 2 knives that I sent them recently was noted by USPS as delivered and received at the mail room. However, the other knife was reported by USPS to have been "left at the front" door, which worried me to no end until I confirmed a week later (you have to wait a week until your knife is "logged into their work order system) to confirm that they had actually received the knife.

The only communication that actually I ever received regarding the 2 knives that I sent them was a cryptic notice from Pitney Bowes (for each) that a USPS pkg was being sent to me from "S KA" out of Denver, which I figured had to be from Spyderco. There were short notes included w/the knives after I received them back but those notes did not help relieve any anxiety about the receipt and the condition of the knives before they were returned.

So, as I have suggested before, I do think there is room for improvement.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. They give the option to pay the difference if you want something pricier, which is nice/makes sense. The Sage just doesn't do it for me. I do want something "off the menu" so to speak in Para 3. I'm thinking of steering into the skid and going for the Genzow Hathethawk, adding some $$$ into the bargain.

Separate but related, I bought a new purple Lynch Para 3 clip in anticipation of the S35VN Para 3 making it's way back to me so that is nagging at me. 1st world problems, yada yada....

I don't see anything interesting coming out in the planned releases re: Para 3 and that drives me to pick something off the shelf. I'm considering a fully serrated plain jane Para 3 just to do SOMETHING different. Looking at 2nd hand absurdly priced Para 3 sprints also. There's a March end time limit to choose or they'll just send the original Para 3 back and close the service case.

Solution: Found an M390 Para 3 and I will be trading my in-for-repair S35VN Para 3 for the Genzow Hatchehawk. Stoked to try out the Genzow!

And... a gratuitous Dodos picture. I'm not sure if a group of flightless birds is a flock or a herd?

Either way.... here you go. I once had a carbon fiber Dodo, but, it's, well, extinct....

RilsJlX.jpg
A gaggle of geese and a muzzle of .... I forgot, sorry

still away from the desk answering machine message on week 3 of no response......This is a little ridiculous, they have an expensive tool that I need everyday for work. COMMUNICATION is key to me if your dealing with a good company. All I need is a yes or no....email or phone call. Is this a one man show at CU....is he sick

UPDATE: I got a letter and a catalog in the mail (no email, or returned call at all...old school). Turns out they were on vacation...so they were far "away from the desk". The letter said that they could not fix the problem as it is a design issue of the chaparall frn. Spyderco keeps my troubled knife and I got to choose a replacement knife for the price of the chaparall and pay the difference out of pocket if the price is more. So I'm back to a delica again which was 17 dollars cheaper because knives direct from Spyderco jump way up in price that have the better steels I wanted like cts-xhp (chaparall cts-xhp $137, delica 4 vg-10 $120). It was a long nerve racking process (since I could not even get a response that my knife made it to the factory) but Spyderco did take care of me in the end. I just really wish the chap had a delica clip....would of been perfect!

Last edited:
UPDATE: I got a letter and a catalog in the mail (no email, or returned call at all...old school). Turns out they were on vacation...so they were far "away from the desk". The letter said that they could not fix the problem as it is a design issue of the chaparall frn. Spyderco keeps my troubled knife and I got to choose a replacement knife for the price of the chaparall and pay the difference out of pocket if the price is more. So I'm back to a delica again which was 17 dollars cheaper because knives direct from Spyderco jump way up in price that have the better steels I wanted like cts-xhp (chaparall cts-xhp $137, delica 4 vg-10 $120). It was a long nerve racking process (since I could not even get a response that my knife made it to the factory) but Spyderco did take care of me in the end. I just really wish the chap had a delica clip....would of been perfect!

Glad it worked out for you in the end but not sure why the entire W&S department would be out "on vacation." Still poor comms IMO; any business should be able to do much better.

Glad it worked out for you in the end but not sure why the entire W&S department would be out "on vacation." Still poor comms IMO; any business should be able to do much better.

They only have two people doing repairs as per Kristi at Spyderco:

Our turnaround time in W&R is currently 4-6 weeks from receiving your knife and they don't typically contact you unless there is an issue (this is due to the volume they handle with a small staff of two people)

When questioned why only two people, she responded:

It's important to note, staffing a department like W&R isn't a simple task. Our W&R team is highly skilled and meticulously trained to be able to manage a wide variety of requests and needs. It's not really a position you can just put anyone into. Beyond the technical skills and training, it takes a special kind of person to handle that position.

They only have two people doing repairs . . .

Ok but why were both W&R techs out "on vacation" at the same time resulting in the complete shut down of the shop?

A very poor staffing decision IMO.

I was an LEO Sgt responsible for staffing on various shifts and I would have lost my job, if ALL of the qualified personnel who were the ONLY staff personnel who could perform certain critical duties were out "on vacation" at the same time.

Last edited:

To be fair, they gave me their Spyderco list price as the basis for credit, so it was a wash for Spyderco vs. street price. Can’t wait to get my HatchetHawk.

Ok but why were both W&R techs out "on vacation" at the same time resulting in the complete shut down of the shop?

A very poor staffing decision IMO.

I was an LEO Sgt responsible for staffing on various shifts and I would have lost my job, if ALL of the qualified personnel who were the ONLY staff personnel who could perform certain critical duties were out "on vacation" at the same time.

There's a big difference between staffing a "LEO" operation than a small knife company's warranty and repair shop. One is probably a critical service, the other...not so much.

Earlier you indicated "There were short notes included w/the knives after I received them back but those notes did not help relieve any anxiety about the receipt and the condition of the knives before they were returned." It's best to save anxiety over knives for when you drop your Police tip down onto your foot and it penetrates 1"... :)

Perhaps this is out of scope on this thread, but I've got the Chap for Christmas from my hubby (oh, how I LOVE my Spydy, such a beautiful knife! me and my whole family have been carrying spyderco blades for the last 20+ years, hands down even the dragonfly is the hardest working on a daily basis, super good looking bunch of knives!) and have discovered that the wire clip somehow got bent one day a few months back - as in it was sticking out from the knife 90 degrees - kind of jarring, although knife stayed in my pocket fine. I undid the screw and put it back in place, but the edges the wire sits in seem a little smeared. I have had it happen a few time since - and is mildly annoying but dealable. Problem is, yesterday I went for my knife only to discover the clip totally missing...arg!
Here's my question:
I know I can get a replacement clip (which I need to do regardless), but is it possible to send it in to Spyderco and have my handle fixed so that the edges where the wire seats is not (so) susceptible to causing the clip to continue to be 'pulled out' easily? I suppose I could send this question direct to them, but I know some of the Spydy peeps use this site/forum and am hoping for some feedback as to whether or not this seems like a good idea/worth the time? Perhaps others have had this happen and have suggestions on things I can try.
Sounds like CS is generally really good (I haven't ever needed their customer service, but I've heard it's good...yet another reason I seriously Love my Spyderco-good CS is heard to find, especially these days and to have a reputation for such a thing says a lot about a company).
Any thoughts on what to do, if I have more options Thanks

They only have two people doing repairs as per Kristi at Spyderco:

When questioned why only two people, she responded:
“They only have two people doing repairs
It's important to note, staffing a department like W&R isn't a simple task. Our W&R team is highly skilled and meticulously trained to be able to manage a wide variety of requests and needs. It's not really a position you can just put anyone into. Beyond the technical skills and training, it takes a special kind of person to handle that position”

I don’t get this... nobody is suggesting that they put “just anyone” into the position, but there must be hundreds, if not thousands of qualified people here at BF alone who would kill for that job. I’m sure if they really wanted to hire someone, all they’d have to do is spread the word and they’d be swamped with qualified applicants.

Or maybe I just don’t understand the problem. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Right. That explanation is awkward. Just say due to budget limit, we can only afford two workers on that position.

Right. That explanation is awkward. Just say due to budget limit, we can only afford two workers on that position.

Kristi told you why, not budget limitations, but a shortage of skilled trained labor that has the temperment to handle the squirrely, OCD, knifeknuts :). I believe her, since she's a proffessional who knows her job and is fair and honest.

I've had amazing experience with CS.

Ive had multiple conversation's with them about old school models and even odd part requests over the past decade.

Keep on trucking Spyderco.

Back