SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

The Pacific Salt 2 is becoming my favorite hiking knife! So light for the size, not affraid of being wet (and sweaty), flashy scales, strong lock and serrated blade is perfect for ropes (and most of what i need to cut during a hike). It's also my "beach/boat/paddleboard knife". I swaped scales with my other Pac Salt 2 (now a black scale FFG LC200N) which is now my favorite "camping/cottage" chef knife :)

envqrbG.jpg

UdJ8aRV.jpg

Lance or Sal, have you got any eta on another run of Waterways? They’ve been out of stock for some time now and I’m scared mine will go swimming one day. I would feel more comfortable with one on the boat and a spare in the safe.
I think they’re working on some now. I’m sure nothing’s going to happen until they‘re caught up on regular production but I’d kind of like to see a Magnacut version of the Waterway. And the Siren too for that matter. I tested the Maganacut mule extensively and was mighty impressed with the performance and corrosion resistance. Corrosion resistance seemed to be in the same neighborhood as lc200n with a notable improvement in edge performance.

I don’t live by any oceans and lived inland but near a lot of fresh water lakes and streams but just love this thread. Makes me almost wish I lived on the coast. Lol. Great pics everyone.

All good and thanks for the reply. I’m down under and have seen a waterway on the market for years. I have a lc200n mule for backup in the event my waterway goes swimming but I would like a spare.

A magnacut version would be great too.

Its to bad posting a photo to this site is such a drag as I’ve got a lot on my phone.

All good and thanks for the reply. I’m down under and have seen a waterway on the market for years. I have a lc200n mule for backup in the event my waterway goes swimming but I would like a spare.

A magnacut version would be great too.

Its to bad posting a photo to this site is such a drag as I’ve got a lot on my phone.
Imagine the cost to the owner to host videos from every bloke who wanted to post a video or picture on the worlds largest knife forum! That stuff adds up o_O ;) :)

Like most people, I upload to youtube for vids or imgur for pics (all done on my phone). Then embed the links to wherever you want!

Look forward to seeing what you have!

I have been using this Pacific H1 for the last five or so years on the Boats and the Submarine that I work on here in Hawaii. I recently changed over to this Caribbean LC100N but have not used it enough to give much of an opinion yet. The Pacific held up pretty well for as hard as I used it at work and it has shown virtually no signs of corrosion. It did require shapening on a regular basis but, like I said I used it very hard. I am anxious to see how the LC100N compares.

Spyderco Salt.jpg

New Salt LC200N.jpg

I have been using this Pacific H1 for the last five or so years on the Boats and the Submarine that I work on here in Hawaii. I recently changed over to this Caribbean LC100N but have not used it enough to give much of an opinion yet. The Pacific held up pretty well for as hard as I used it at work and it has shown virtually no signs of corrosion. It did require shapening on a regular basis but, like I said I used it very hard. I am anxious to see how the LC100N compares.

View attachment 1946639

View attachment 1946640
Just curious, as I’ve always preferred plain edge knives as well, as opposed to serrated, in my brief stints working on boats offshore, as well as general use. I see many recommend serrrated edges for water work, but I feel like a toothy plain edge is better all around and will slice rope just as well.

What are your thoughts as a pro?

Just curious, as I’ve always preferred plain edge knives as well, as opposed to serrated, in my brief stints working on boats offshore, as well as general use. I see many recommend serrrated edges for water work, but I feel like a toothy plain edge is better all around and will slice rope just as well.

What are your thoughts as a pro?
I have always preferred plain edge over serrated edges. I have several reasons why I prefer the plain edge. The way that I sharpen a plain edge is on a Wicked Edge and rather than a 'toothy' finish I put a very fine grit edge that is polished to a mirror finish. I find that this slides through most materials like butter. Serrated edges are difficult to sharpen by most people and in many cases the serrations either get ruined or they have to send them to the factory. There are several types of serrations out there and some are better cutters than others in my experience but all of them are tricky to get sharpened properly. I have been using a Mission Dive knife and the serration on it are not too bad. I find that the serrations that have a pointy tooth profile get hung up in certain materials esspecially nylon rope. At any rate I still have a few knives the are serrated like a Spyderco Autonomy that I have as a back-up dive knife. I just put a very smooth shiny edge on my Spyderco Caribbean and it is a pretty good cutter right now.

Caribbean Sharp.jpg

Serrations.jpg

I have always preferred plain edge over serrated edges. I have several reasons why I prefer the plain edge. The way that I sharpen a plain edge is on a Wicked Edge and rather than a 'toothy' finish I put a very fine grit edge that is polished to a mirror finish. I find that this slides through most materials like butter. Serrated edges are difficult to sharpen by most people and in many cases the serrations either get ruined or they have to send them to the factory. There are several types of serrations out there and some are better cutters than others in my experience but all of them are tricky to get sharpened properly. I have been using a Mission Dive knife and the serration on it are not too bad. I find that the serrations that have a pointy tooth profile get hung up in certain materials esspecially nylon rope. At any rate I still have a few knives the are serrated like a Spyderco Autonomy that I have as a back-up dive knife. I just put a very smooth shiny edge on my Spyderco Caribbean and it is a pretty good cutter right now.

View attachment 1946676

View attachment 1946677
Thanks for the response! My thoughts pretty much echo what you stated.

I just picked up a pacific salt 2 in H1 off the exchange. It’s also fully serrated. This will be my first H1 knife and I am a little concerned with sharpening. If I remember correctly, I can sharpen it on a sharpmaker. I am pretty excited to try this knife out!

723482F7-62DC-4344-AE5E-0AEFFDC709D8.jpeg
I was looking at and researching different knives and steels recently, and I got kind of curious about H1. The rust-proof nature of it intrigues me. I have never used it at all, nor have I ever had an Endela, Endura, or Police, so I put a bid on this used Pacific Salt and got it for a reasonable amount. I was thinking about getting a Dragonfly, maybe a hawkbill, maybe serrated (even though I kind of mostly hate serrated edges). Plain edges are my thing, though, and if I’m going to test a steel, I think it makes sense to test what is more similar to what I normally use.

First impressions: This is a big damn knife! Though I think I like it and it fits my big hands, it’s bigger than I will probably carry to work - the biggest knife I usually carry at the office is my Sage, and it fits. I’ve never had a Spyderco with a coated blade, either, and it has an interesting feel.

It hasn’t been used much, so the edge is pretty much the factory profile. I’m a little surprised at the relatively obtuse angle.

Sal-you and Eric are my hero’s!!!👊…next purchase is pac salt se h2, then a salt 2 lc200n wharnie(never had one)…really excited about the native 5 salt and the manix 2 lw salt in magnacut…I didn’t buy my first “real” knife till Nov. 2021(dfly 2 salt) and the rabbit hole is bigger than I thought 🤣✌️

P.S.- Caribbean mod is by no means perfect as I did it w/a dremel…really needs cad/milling,but to be honest I was a little nervous😅…the chef scale was done by Spencer @ karbadize (reduced weight by nearly an oz.) and since it goes fishing w/me like all the rest of ‘em I wanted to have a better chance of finding it if dropped…plus yellow is my favorite color👍

Back