Spyderco Smock Flipper For Pre-Order!

I'm liking the flipper mechanism on this one. I initially hoped that the cutout could serve as a non-jimped finger choil but it doesn't look that way now. Also thought it would be S90v, which would have definitely moved me to buy it. For the price point with S30v, I'm iffy on it.

I am currently bereft of a decent work flipper. Anyone have an idea as to when these will be in the stores?

Thanks.

Ray

Put in a preorder today. I wanted to wait because I feel like this knife has the potential to flop with all the engineering required for it. Phosphor bronze washers, ball bearings, a front flipper compression lock, a button, and a double detent.

The double detent really interests me. I heard Eric say that it was required so that the button would not open the knife. It’s either the spyder hole or the flipper.

In the video, Kevin Smock mentioned that it might be Q3/Q4 of 2018. I'm glad they're working on tweaks to make it as good as possible.

Btw, I had zero interest in a "front flipper" AT ALL...until I saw this one from Spyderco.

Last edited:
My buying has slowed down a lot, but this one is uber tempting...

They give way to many teasers and delay releases to the point where I just give up and buy something else.
My interest in this one is gone unfortunately.

I'm kinda interested in this knife. However, that useless area at the back of the blade is just, well, useless. Don't really know if it can be used as a finger choil. If not, that's a deal breaker for me. The blade then sits far to forward of the grip to be really versatile. I do like that top flipper mech though, and the blade shape. Handle seems to be way too long for the usable blade length too. I'm also concerned about releasing the lock by gripping the handle, thus the button, too strongly. I'll wait till the reviews are in.

I'm also concerned about releasing the lock by gripping the handle, thus the button, too strongly. I'll wait till the reviews are in.
Kevin Smock said that they addressed this concern by adding a second detent. He said that all the extra detent does is make it to where you have to fully press the button in order for it to close. He talks about around the seven minute mark.

Back