Spyderco Yojumbo Review

Oh my, thank you kindly. Well you guys have me thinking that maybe I'll draw some pictures and see if Sal has time to look at one. Is that how it's done?

Ya know I’ve always wanted to get the Resilience because bigger knives just feel better in my hand but haven’t pulled the trigger. A friend who I turned on to Spyderco bought one and uses it for processing birds and even a Turkey if I recall! I played with it a bit and noted the action and blade geometry was just like its little brother the Tenacious which is a super slicey knife. The mods you did on your Resilience are right up my alley and add nice touch. Back to designing YES, a drawing and some detailed explanations (which you’ve done) so we can generate some discussion would be a great start I think. I’ve seen a few forum members creations come to life which is a big reason I love Spyderco. From what I’ve seen the design can’t be to similar to existing models, has to have market demand of course and country of manufacturing plays a big role ( I could be wrong but just my opinion)
From what you described it kinda sounded like a larger Caribbean and at one point there was talk about one but it got scrapped some how but maybe an off shoot or something? I really like the Caribbean but a larger blade with different scales with more contouring of the scales would be nice. Sorry for the novel but I say let your creativity flow..

No apologies needed for that!

You know, I have started thinking about the Manix 2 XL again, and how much I loved it, especially after my mods. I'm torn between a CBBL and a compresison lock. Honestly, if I could have this knife with LC200N, a CBBL and 4 way position clip, that would hit everything for me, and it would be a true ambidextrous knife. The thing about the CBBL for many people is it's a bit stiff, but I modded mine to have less tension by clipping exactly three rings off the spring, and it became easy to operate with either hand, again and again, and without any undue loss in lock up strength. I ground the choil off and turned it into cutting edge, and that was an experiment because I knew that the only point of contact during closing would be the tang against the ball bearing, and I wondered if that would introduce some play or weakness in the lock, but in the time I had it, it was still going strong.

@AncientSword can comment on how it is now, because he is the owner of that knife currently.

So my question is, those of you who have a love for the compression lock, would you be willing to try a CBBL in a knifelike this if it were tweaked as I described above?

By the way, here is the Manix 2 XL after I reworked it:
IMG_6171.JPG
IMG_6172.JPG

If it were not for the position of the skeleton cutouts in the liners, I would have gone with a slightly different handle profile, especially around the first finger groove, like I did with my S110V Manix 2:
Manix 2.jpg

That's a good point. And then there was the "Jazzelica", i.e. the Delica Wharncliffe, unofficially named after the Spyderco forumite who drew it up. Well a potentially great knife is always worth a try. I've never designed a folder, beyond modifying existing ones first in photoshop and then with my tools in the shop once I have a vision for how it would look and what features I want to change or enhance. I've recently been recommended to pick up Fusion 360, and Jarod has said he's planning to do a basic video series on how to draw knives in it, and I am assuming it could be used to design folding knives.

GundaManiac GundaManiac what do you say Brian? Any tips or friendly suggestions on how to get this going? I'd be honored if you wouldn't mind corresponding with me a bit so I can ask a little bit about tools and processes to hash out a design and get the attention of Spyderco. Maybe you can refer me to some resources that would help me wrap my head around the the technical aspects of modeling a knife to precise specs, or point me in the right direction? Coming up with the Amalgam must have been an involved and technical process. And @Surfingringo Lance, if you'd also be kind enough to share a little bit about your experience with the Waterway, that would surely also be helpful, and I'd be grateful to you both. If you gentlemen are too busy, no worries.

I wouldn't want to detail the Yojumbo thread, but I'd be happy to give whatever advice or help I can in a separate thread or via PM's/DM's!

I think the CBBL lock would be awesome, too. It'd certainly make it more lefty friendly. A CBBL lock may preclude you from using a 4 position clip, though.

I have a Manix XL and really love it. Design wise, I would like to see the clip positioned at least equal to the lanyard tube. Placement similar to the Manix 2 would be perfect.

I wouldn't want to detail the Yojumbo thread, but I'd be happy to give whatever advice or help I can in a separate thread or via PM's/DM's!

Haha good point about derailing the thread. I guess I kind of did that already. Okay, I'll send you a PM

Thank you so much David Mary David Mary for your detailed reflections. They make sense to me too & I plan to emulate them when my YoJumbo finally arrives.

Mike Janich had this to say about the tang nubbin in the forum over at Spyderco.com
Michael Janich
Re: YOJUMBO has been released!
  • Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Actually, the portion of the blade your referring to isn't there to "push your finger off the lock tab." It's there to make the transition from the front of the handle to the heel of the edge as snag-free as possible.

When I cut, I try to use the full length of the cutting edge and apply constant, increasing pressure as I approach the tip. Just as many people don't like sharpening choils because they snag during utilitarian cutting chores, an unsharpened choil (for lack of a better word) at the heel of the YoJumbo's edge could be a major snag point. For a folder designed with personal defense in mind, that can be a serious disadvantage. I determined this through actual cutting tests on denim-covered "Pork Man" targets during the design process, so it was not an arbitrary decision.

On the Shaman, the portion of the blade that nests in the lock well is actually the forward section of the index-finger choil, which acts as a guard. That needs to be there to keep your finger from potentially sliding forward onto the heel of the edge. In operation, the Shaman's guard is more likely to strike the index finger when closing the knife than the nub of the YoJumbo's ricasso. However, with a little practice, clearing your finger from the lock well before the blade strikes is easy--especially since both knives have long blades that close more slowly than shorter ones. For folks who are concerned with the "fidget factor" of their knives, this should be no problem, since fidgeting is, by nature, repetitive practice.

I hope this helps folks understand my priorities during the design of the YoJumbo. As always, if you have any questions and would like straight answers from the source, I'm happy to help.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thank you for the kind words K Kallisti !

Mike Janich said:
  • Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Actually, the portion of the blade your referring to isn't there to "push your finger off the lock tab." It's there to make the transition from the front of the handle to the heel of the edge as snag-free as possible.

Okay, so it's good to see that there was actual thought and testing that went into it, but I have to respectfully disagree with the decision. I believe a simple side by side comparison will suggest that the way mine is, with the more gradual angle, and lack of a shoulder, would be even less likely to snag in all applications. I mean his still has a potential snag "point"; mine is a straight line.

Well guys, in the end, the Resilience still beat the YoJumbo for me.

Last edited:
I don't have Facebook, but I'd love to see your pics if you wouldn't mind emailing them to me. :)

I got my Yojumbo today and it was dull. It took awhile on the sharpmaker to make it shave
and then I stroped it. It is passable now and shaves well. I removed the pocket clip since it
was a hot spot. When I get time I will grind the tang down and reradius the hump in the grip.
I won't change the blade profile though. Then it should be much nicer. Your blade profile
looks sharp!
I like the letters on the fists in your sig line.
A lot. + God Bless you.

Nice review. Just out of curiosity, what do you think about wharncliffes from Seth and Teryl Todd like the Roxi 4 or the Malware?

In the interest of humility (a goal I strive for, not a trait I claim to possess) I wanted to post in this thread once more to admit that I now believe the one issue I had with my modded Yojumbo was in fact due to an oversight on my part. The deep carry clip I selected for my knife did not have countersunk holes for the pocket clip screws, and had I countersunk them I might have never had the issue of the knife occasionally snagging on my pocket. Live and learn, I guess. Admit my mistakes and move on.

Nice review. Just out of curiosity, what do you think about wharncliffes from Seth and Teryl Todd like the Roxi 4 or the Malware?
Never heard of them, sorry.

Awesome review, this knife has been on my want list hard for a while but due to what I saw in the knife and my hands likely being like yours. The protrusion in the handle was a concern. Your modification I can certainly do and now that I have seen it done, I will be buying one :)

Back