Spyderco Yojumbo Review

I was literally just at my table, comparing my Yojumbo to my Cold Steel Voyager tanto and found this! This is the exact review I needed. I am also one of the few people who really likes large EDC, I don't mind heavy, and I like these really efficient profiles. I have recently discovered that Michael Janich evidently re-grinds some Enduras to be like the Yojimbo wharncliffe profile, called the Jandura, Jandelica, etc. Sells 'em with some folks who make a bunch of accessories for Yojumbo/Endura and various other knives that equate to an Emerson wave, backspacers with different tools in them for the Endura, like one that has a Marlin spike in it, one with a screwdriver, the pull-ring, even a "beverage extraction tool" šŸ˜‚ ... He even shaves down a Yojimbo to Chicago-legal lengths, it's called the ChicagoJimbo! Because he came from there and wants the folks who live there to be able to (legally) carry a Yojimbo. What a labor of love! If the Yojumbo would not exist, I do not know that I would have even tried it! I'da stuck with the Matriarch 2 and bought one of those Otter-Messer sailor's knives! Speaking of the Endura, I want to try a Resilience now. That is the "beater" I've been looking for. Michael Janich seems like a pretty stand-up dude, and he is one of the last folks around, I would imagine, who have trained with old-school greats like Rex Applegate. What a feat, in my eyes. Also, just...the utility. This is a great knife that unlike the Civilian or Matriarch 2, I could use for tons of things in my daily life.

Great review, it was like reading a proper article. And very fine mods you've got going on there!

Truly kind words, thanks, and I think you'll like the Resilience. I don't hesitate to say the lightweight is far superior in my opinion. I used to mod my Resilience G10 handles too, for better comfort. But the lightweight is already comfortable in the spots that were too blocky for me on the G10. Add to that the G10 gradually loses its grippiness, which the FRN never does unless you should melt it with acid or something.

Yojumbo lightweight. Might make me take another tour of the Yojumbo platform...

Truly kind words, thanks, and I think you'll like the Resilience. I don't hesitate to say the lightweight is far superior in my opinion. I used to mod my Resilience G10 handles too, for better comfort. But the lightweight is already comfortable in the spots that were too blocky for me on the G10. Add to that the G10 gradually loses its grippiness, which the FRN never does unless you should melt it with acid or something.
So, my thoughts that Spyderco's FRN isn't "cheap plastic" are not unfounded! I always thought that they were only second best to the Griv-ex on things like the handle of that Voyager. That Voyager may (reportedly) rip up your pockets if you scuff it around a lot, but boy if that stuff isn't grippy...
And thank you for the info about G-10, I did not know it loses it's grippiness over time, nor did I know that stuff about FRN. I have three types of G-10, all of which I have acquired in the last 75~ days. Smooth G-10, on my Espada XL, which is not grippy, the ergs on that thing come soley from it's construction and I find myself wanting a Grivex version of the Espada XL to be an actual carrier/user, and then from Spyderco - Semi-grippy G-10 such as on the basic model of the PM2, and the super-grippy G-10 on the Yojumbo. You have a PM2? Feel that vs the Yojumbo, way grippier G-10. I even have a newer S45VN model, so I know this isn't a CQC thing. Interesting.

Yojumbo lightweight. Might make me take another tour of the Yojumbo platform...
Yessir! I'm about to pay 270 for the upcoming version that I'm about to speak of. Would love an FRN Yojumbo for 'round 100? I would love that the way I love the Matriarch. I want to do another look at the Yojumbo platform, but in the form of the S90V version that will come out later this year! S90V is seriously a superior steel from what the testing seems to be telling me. If you were to have two YoJumbos, one that you basically kept away in the same way one might not use a Civilian in case they really need it, and one for more day-to-day use, which would be the user? The S90V or the S30V? I know the S30V is supposedly way easier to upkeep, though I do not hear bad things about S90 the same as I do of S110, and that stuff is comparable to Maxamet but tougher in my eyes. The one only has to do it's job, God forbid, once, and the other is a user, so you think the S90V should be my user?

I suppose this question will become null once I learn to sharpen and can keep EVERYTHING I own in razor-sharp condition, but my stone must arrive before I can do that. And even then, a diamond stone if I wish to sharpen things like ZDP and S90V (if i remember right).

I'd probably try to make an AEB-L version and sell my S##V(N?) blade.

I'd probably try to make an AEB-L version and sell my S##V(N?) blade.
Wait, what? Make a Yojumbo?!

And no "N"s, the Yojumbo I have is S30V, the one I want is S90V, which has been equated to a less chippy S110V, the super-hard forever-edge steel on the Blurple Spydercos? According to Larrin., it's the no.1 in balance. I have one knife in S35VN, an Espada XL, and one in S45VN, the PM2 (As well as a Cruwear and REX45 model). The "N" in the S45 stands for Nitrogen. Not in the S35. I am still trying to understand all this, haha!

What is AEB-L, if you have the time to give a basic idea? I have heard of it, but haven't seen any knives in it as of yet. Again, knife baby here. Looking for my first custom fixed blade this year :)

AEB-L is a low alloy fine grained stainless with less corrosion resistance and edge holding than high carbide particle steels, but significantly higher toughness. This lets is be ground thinner at high hardness with minimal risk of chipping.

Back