SR1 Tanto Has Arrived** With Pics**

Anyone with both the original and the tanto blade? Other than the blade shape, so you see / feel any differences?

Anyone with both the original and the tanto blade? Other than the blade shape, so you see / feel any differences?
I’ve had two of the clip point versions and now have the tanto version. Other than the blade type, I think they are virtually identical otherwise.

Hi ccoast36,

First wanted to say thanks for letting me post a pic on your post. If its OK i would like to post a couple more. I didn't want to hijack your post. BUT since you asked how I like it...... LOL.

Well I do like the feel of the handle. It does fit my hand very well. I did try holding the knife via the handle in different positions. All very positive and comfortable. I even can choke up on it but I noticed it must be deliberate since your so close to the edge of the blade BUT it's doable. Obviously better if you have a glove on. The handle is grippy. I like the texture. Seems to e very strong material. Nicely rounded edges, and so far nothing that digs into my hand anywhere. I am pretty sure you can do some light chopping with it in a pinch and I say that because I can move my hand father back comfortably on the handle in a positive grip to chop if needed. I think a well thought out handle design in my opinion.

I did use the knife in the kitchen a couple times already to cut up a whole chicken and it worked just fine. Deboned a few chicken thighs for a BBQ. I have not cut any vegetables yet. No complaints on the bade but I always liked tatno.

The blade and the handle of this SR1 is done very well as far as fit and finish. The blade has no play as some others may have experienced. All the parts are flush in the closed position. Lock up is solid. Lock is not to tight and can be opened up easily with one hand. I can close it with one hand also. The lock is not stiff or to tight. If feel like its already broken in. I think I received a decent one. Overall well done for the price.

I love the TRI-AD lock. I own Counterpoints, and Hold outs and the lock cant be beat. Obviously proven many times by Cold Steel. This alone would make this knife a great backup in any situation. I think this is a hell of a blade for the price.

Also its great in the pocket. These past two days been carrying the SR1 in the right pocket and in my opinion thin enough that its not to bulky, for me that is. It pulls out of the pocket with no snag and the pocket clip is tight. It is a bit heavy as I have been carrying a Ti-Lite 4 inch for many years but its not that big of a deal. I am a big boy and can carry a little bit heavier folder. LOL....

I like the clip point but I think I would rather see a drop point and spear point type blade for this series of SR1. Who knows may be a future option.

And that is my opinion. Get it don't hesitate. I am sure the clip point is equally good.

Thanks and take care all.

Last edited:
Hi ccoast36,

First wanted to say thanks for letting me post a pic on your post. If its OK i would like to post a couple more. I didn't want to hijack your post. BUT since you asked how I like it...... LOL.

Well I do like the feel of the handle. It does fit my hand very well. I did try holding the knife via the handle in different positions. All very positive and comfortable. I even can choke up on it but I noticed it must be deliberate since your so close to the edge of the blade BUT it's doable. Obviously better if you have a glove on. The handle is grippy. I like the texture. Seems to e very strong material. Nicely rounded edges, and so far nothing that digs into my hand anywhere. I am pretty sure you can do some light chopping with it in a pinch and I say that because I can move my hand father back comfortably on the handle in a positive grip to chop if needed. I think a well thought out handle design in my opinion.

I did use the knife in the kitchen a couple times already to cut up a whole chicken and it worked just fine. Deboned a few chicken thighs for a BBQ. I have not cut any vegetables yet. No complaints on the bade but I always liked tatno.

The blade and the handle of this SR1 is done very well as far as fit and finish. The blade has no play as some others may have experienced. All the parts are flush in the closed position. Lock up is solid. Lock is not to tight and can be opened up easily with one hand. I can close it with one hand also. The lock is not stiff or to tight. If feel like its already broken in. I think I received a decent one. Overall well done for the price.

I love the TRI-AD lock. I own Counterpoints, and Hold outs and the lock cant be beat. Obviously proven many times by Cold Steel. This alone would make this knife a great backup in any situation. I think this is a hell of a blade for the price.

Also its great in the pocket. These past two days been carrying the SR1 in the right pocket and in my opinion thin enough that its not to bulky, for me that is. It pulls out of the pocket with no snag and the pocket clip is tight. It is a bit heavy as I have been carrying a Ti-Lite 4 inch for many years but its not that big of a deal. I am a big boy and can carry a little bit heavier folder. LOL....

I like the clip point but I think I would rather see a drop point and spear point type blade for this series of SR1. Who knows may be a future option.

And that is my opinion. Get it don't hesitate. I am sure the clip point is equally good.

Thanks and take care all.
Thanks for the first impressions. Post as many pics as you want. I know that a variety of opinions and pics helps me when I’m debating whether to purchase a knife or not. I think the action is surprisingly good running on the washers. The knife just flies open, which is kind of rare for a big blade like this. I am very impressed with the overall durability of this knife. I’ve owned quite a few Cold Steel knives and this one is by far my favorite. As much as I find Cold Steel’s proof videos a bit cheesy, I must admit that seeing this knife hold 600 pounds and then be stabbed through a car hood multiple times made me finally decide to give the SR1 another go around. I am definitely digging this knife.

Reactions: WTF
I also have a great action on this knife. Very smooth. Easy to open.

These SR1 series of knives definitely compare to the MAX-4 for a WAY lower budget. Cold Steel should expand on this line in my opinion they have a winner here at a reasonable price.

Those Cold Steel proof videos are pretty cool. You get an idea what knives/swords/tools capabilities are. I actually appreciate them.

Few more pics. Sorry they are a bit crappy but I am not a photographer. HAHA!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the pics, it really does help get a feel for the knife seeing all the different angles.

I recall Buck used to offer a Strider collaboration model 889 in what they called “Ranger green”. It was a darker/deeper green, I personally liked it much more than the typical OD you see these days. I would really like to see the SR1 (and others) in something like that someday, it would be a good fit.

Reactions: WTF
I’m very interested in one of these but is the cost delta over knives like the Recon 1 worth it? Almost twice the price here. Hell, even an XL Espada in XHP is cheaper.

Interested in any thoughts as I love my two Recon 1’s but can’t justify the cost of a 4-Max and unsure if the SR1 will give me anything over my Recons....

Thanks!

Recon looks nice man. Just checked out the specs. Great price, great blade, Tri-Ad lock. A winner for sure. I never owned one (yet) so I can't comment on its use. I will have to check out YouTube reviews, but if price is in question then makes sence stick with the Recon for sure.

Last edited:
Interested in any thoughts as I love my two Recon 1’s but can’t justify the cost of a 4-Max and unsure if the SR1 will give me anything over my Recons....

SR1 should be tougher than Recon1 at the cost of cutting performance and weight. I don't need added toughness but I'd still buy one if I liked the look of it.

SR1 should be tougher than Recon1 at the cost of cutting performance and weight. I don't need added toughness but I'd still buy one if I liked the look of it.
Thanks.

The weight doesn’t bug me on a hard use knife like this. I just think I need to try one out or at least see one in person. :thumbsup:

The 3 screws at the clip is the design for the tanto. There is no 2 screws redesign. CS confirmed on IG.

I’m very interested in one of these but is the cost delta over knives like the Recon 1 worth it? Almost twice the price here. Hell, even an XL Espada in XHP is cheaper.

Thanks!
The only benefits are thicker blade stock and abbreviated steel liners. The fact of the drop pin going right into the G10 on a lot of their models opens up the possibility of developing play in the stop pin and thus lock rock. Someone posted this very concern a while back. With the liners on the sr1, that possibility would theoretically be minimized. Plus, the lock up will be stronger because of the liners. I wish they’d put these abbreviated liners in more models.

Thanks for all the pics, it really does help get a feel for the knife seeing all the different angles.

I recall Buck used to offer a Strider collaboration model 889 in what they called “Ranger green”. It was a darker/deeper green, I personally liked it much more than the typical OD you see these days. I would really like to see the SR1 (and others) in something like that someday, it would be a good fit.
I’d like to see a black handle sr1.

The 3 screws at the clip is the design for the tanto. There is no 2 screws redesign. CS confirmed on IG.
Which knife retailer had a picture of this very model with a two screw clip design? That picture threw me off.

Recon looks nice man. Just checked out the specs. Great price, great blade, Tri-Ad lock. A winner for sure. I never owned one (yet) so I can't comment on its use. I will have to check out YouTube reviews, but if price is in question then makes sence stick with the Recon for sure.
They are really nice knives, especially for the price and what you are getting. If they would put steel liners in the recon 1 series, I would be all over it. I’ve owned the large and xl versions of this knife.

Which knife retailer had a picture of this very model with a two screw clip design? That picture threw me off.
I think they are all using a CS provided stock photo which I think was based off a prototype. That would interesting if a 2 screw design existed out there.

Cool Video of some cold steel knives introduced by the man himself. He shows a bunch of good angles for the SR1 Tanto. Starts at the 4 minute mark...

Last edited:

Thanks!
Very good observation. I have a Recon 1 clip point and an SR1 in clip point. The SR1 is heavier and may be stronger, but that additional strength for me is not worth the additional weight. I can t imagine ever breaking my Recon1 unintentionally. I ve never battoned a folder.

Back