SRK and Master Hunter Handle Issues

I believe some one predicted a meltdown and a banning, and it happened before the end of the page!

Kwon Kwang must be psychic...or else he's been on Blade Forums for at least a month or two....

Also, Cold Steel should release a micarta, and a stag, and a stacked leather handle version!

Do you mean micarta like this?

image.jpg1_zpsqdah9djm.jpg

image.jpg2_zpszcnybafh.jpg

And stag like this?

image.jpg3_zpskxymwbz9.jpg

And stacked leather like this?

image.jpg4_zpsagnjjs7j.jpg

Oh wait. That last one is a competitor's rip-off from the same manufacturing facility. Still, it's a pretty cool knife.

Personally, I've long wished for a re-issue of the Intruder Bowie. I think it's the Trail Master perfected.

-Steve

One of those lovely stag-handled models is a grail knife for me, though it's out of my price range right now. Man, is that a nice knife!

Kwon Kwang must be psychic...or else he's been on Blade Forums for at least a month or two....

Do you mean micarta like this?

image.jpg1_zpsqdah9djm.jpg

image.jpg2_zpszcnybafh.jpg

And stag like this?

image.jpg3_zpskxymwbz9.jpg

And stacked leather like this?

image.jpg4_zpsagnjjs7j.jpg

Oh wait. That last one is a competitor's rip-off from the same manufacturing facility. Still, it's a pretty cool knife.

Personally, I've long wished for a re-issue of the Intruder Bowie. I think it's the Trail Master perfected.

-Steve
Do you know anyone who could rehandle a SM3 Trailmaster like the FOTI one there? I would have it done to mine.

Last edited:
Do you know anyone who could rehandle a SM3 Trailmaster like the FOTI one there? I would have it done to mine.

I'm sure there are many people who could do a rehandle for you. You can also try Sunrise River Custom Knives.
They have a number of modified TMs in their photo gallery.

lobo9er; "fallkniven use the same steel too?"

The Cold Steel TM uses VG1 as the core, while Fallknien uses VG10. Although slightly different in composition, they are both a high performance steel (notice I avoid "supersteel" cause that's subjective) made by Takefu Specialty Steels in Japan. Both CS and FK use the softer 420j2 for the lamination sides.

at least they aren't the same blanks with a different stamp. they do look alike although it is kinda a basic bowie pattern. Holy crow are the fallkniven expensive.

Have you seen this site?
http://hattoricollector.com/2015/10/12/the-big-bowies-trailmaster-thor/

Yes the Fallknivens are quite expensive. I suspect that the Cold Steel SM TM would also be quite expensive if it had a stacked leather handle and stainless pommel
and came in a leather sheath.
Stacked leather is not that expensive. The NL Thor sells for roughly double the Trail Master-roughly $280 bucks more at the cheapest I can find both NIB.

A stacked leather handle, a mass produced leather sheath, and Steel pommel is worth $280?

Hell, my Trailmaster rides in a leather sheath WAY nicer than the Falkie's, and I paid $60 for it.
Laughable

Actually the retail price of the CS SM TM is $500 ($499.99) and the FK Thor is $722.
But CS being a US company has a greater number of distributors and dealers so we can get a street price
of about $280.00. (They are available for less from ebay sellers but I avoid them.)
In contrast FK is a Swedish company with only 3 distributors in the US so it doesn't get
discounted as heavily. The best "street price" I find is $485.00. That makes the difference $205.00.
There are people who want and are willing to pay an extra 200 or so for the leather.
From a pure cost-performance perspective the CS SM TM is undoubtedly a better deal.

The Thor is higher grade VG-10 steel tempered to 59 HRC. The blade is longer and wider. The material of the handle, pommel and guard are much nicer. Those things are worth the extra $200 IMO.

The Thor is higher grade VG-10 steel tempered to 59 HRC. The blade is longer and wider. The material of the handle, pommel and guard are much nicer. Those things are worth the extra $200 IMO.
In a blade that big, VG10/has SLIGHTLY better edge retention. VG1 is significantly tougher though. I've owned lots of Falkies. They all chip easily.

And in regards to the San Mai, the difference in the cost of the Steel in laminated VG1 and Laminated VG10 is a Buck or 2 per blade to the maker if that. They are both expensive, because they are laminated, but the cost is basically a push.

For what you get in each knife in total-materials fit and finish (both blades are equal there), the Thor should only be $50-60 more than the Trail Master.

And the material of the guard is the same in both-the Trail Master's is a bit bigger now, but was identical in the AUS8 version.

I would like to add here that according to Ankerson's tests, VG-1 offers superior edge retention to VG-10. For cutting rope, at least.

I actually like the design of Fallkniven's A1 better than the SRk for the sole reason that it has a pommel, an SRK with a pommel would be a dream come true. Though that's still not stopping me from saving up to buy the new 3v model since pommel or not the steel is in it's own league compared to vg-1 or vg-10.

p.s. I love my Trailmaster!

I actually like the design of Fallkniven's A1 better than the SRk for the sole reason that it has a pommel, an SRK with a pommel would be a dream come true. Though that's still not stopping me from saving up to buy the new 3v model since pommel or not the steel is in it's own league compared to vg-1 or vg-10.

p.s. I love my Trailmaster!

The FK A1 does not have a pommel.

I tried to let this lie, but it began to rankle me.

at least they aren't the same blanks with a different stamp. they do look alike although it is kinda a basic bowie pattern.

Um, no. Fallkniven copied Cold Steel's design, plain and simple. At the very least, it's theft of intellectual property (which people love to accuse Cold Steel of, though the truth actually is that Cold Steel knives have been ripped off ad nauseam over the years). If the Trail Master's pattern is ubiquitous, it is because Cold Steel made it so. If its profile appears commonplace to you, it is because thirty years ago Lynn Thompson and Dan Maragni collaborated to construct what they envisioned as the best performance-based bowie knife they could create.

History is comprised of facts, not opinions. And one of the facts of knife history is that prior to the Cold Steel Trail Master, commercial bowie knives looked like these.

image.jpg2_zps3tkhc01z.jpg

image.jpg1_zpskla1e8yk.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsm3qpvwuf.jpg

image.jpg5_zps5l8jclpy.jpg

Just about every modern production bowie (and, arguably, large camp knife) that followed, from the Gerber Australian Bowie and the Blackjack Rio Grande up through the current Busse Battle Mistress and the Becker BK-9, owes a debt of gratitude to Cold Steel for the trail it blazed with the Trail Master. After 1827, people may have asked for "a knife like Bowie's," but after 1987, people asked for "a bowie like Cold Steel's." The performance that Cold Steel wrung from the Trail Master--and that they demonstrated undeniably in the very first Proof video in 1987--set new standards that jolted the knife industry almost as monumentally as the Tanto had done just a few years before.

I don't care if you don't like Cold Steel. Nobody says you have to in order to hang out here. But please don't come into this subforum and try to convince us that Cold Steel's imitators have done something impressive. There are those of us here who were actively engaged in the knife world before, during, and after Cold Steel helped to revolutionize it.

-Steve

OK then I take back basic bowie pattern. And maintain at least they aren't the same blanks with different stamps. I'm not sure l was trying to convince anyone that fallkniven was doing anything impressive or not. I never trashed on the TrailMaster at all.
Only CS ads, suing CRKT and what they consider abuse. Those are nice Bowie's are those yours?

Last edited:
Damn, Steve.

giphy.gif

Ha! Yeah, I guess I get a little fired up when people who are on Blade Forums (presumably because they love knives) have nothing good to say about Cold Steel...especially in, you know, the Cold Steel subforum! Cold Steel has more than earned its place in knife history, but few detractors seem to be willing to acknowledge that.

OK then I take back basic bowie pattern. And maintain at least they aren't the same blanks with different stamps. I'm not sure l was trying to convince anyone that fallkniven was doing anything impressive or not.

My point wasn't directed quite as specifically at your comment as it was at your implication that Fallkniven might not be trying to steal Cold Steel's designs. Fallkniven knew exactly what it was doing when it "developed" the Thor model (and the Odin, and the A1).

I never trashed on the TrailMaster at all. Only CS ads, suing CRKT and what they consider abuse.

Fair enough. Feel free to start a new thread covering any or all of those items. Just don't expect to get a lot of response. You're not telling us anything we haven't heard a hundred times already.

Those are nice Bowie's are those yours?

Unfortunately, no. I pulled all of those photos off of the Internet. Back in those days, I couldn't afford any of those knives, not even the moderately priced M-49. (Plus, even in my youth, I recognized that the Case, with an engraving on the blade of what was supposed to be Jim Bowie but was obviously Daniel Boone carrying a bowie knife, was cheesy!) By the time I started earning enough money to buy quality large fixed blades, the Trail Master had rendered all of those bowies obsolete and a whole new generation of Trail Master clones and wannabes had sprung up to draw my attention. It took me a lot of years to discover that imitations are never as good as the original and you really do get what you pay for.

-Steve

Back