St. Nick’s Native 4V exclusive and some gripes

If you bought a St. Nick’s Native 4V did you keep it or did you flip it.

• Kept it

• Bought it flip

• Lie and said you kept it but really flipped it

• I wasn’t able to get one but wanted one

Results are only viewable after voting.
Or they can just jack up the price like other knife makers have to combat the flippers. We will just agree to disagree on this topic friend.

The knife makers can stop making limited edition knives and make enough knives so that everyone who wants one can buy one. The very term: "Limited Edition" implies that there are only so many to go around and the more people want them, the more they will have to pay. The makers don't do this because they don't want to sell more knives, they do it to generate interest and hype in their products. In the case of the St. Nick's Native 4V, they and Spyderco decided either how many they wanted to buy, or how many Spyderco would be willing to make for them. As an example, the DLT PM2 in M390 was like a license to print money. DLT sold out their runs in less than an hour. They sent out emails and created hype way ahead of time. It's just smart business. My guess is that they were limited by Spyderco to how many would be made for them since they could have obviously sold far more. Btw DLT was selling their Dealer Exclusive for just a little more than the run of the mill S30V which implies that Spyderco is already demanding a huge premium with their Sprint Runs which sell for far more than what DLT priced their M390 at.

Or, you can complain when other people have what you want and won't sell it at your price. Friend.

Bought it as a keeper and carrying it as I read this...

I might be the only the person to not like red scales so I swapped it with the scales from my S30V version.
AUnnGpy.jpg

I like that scale swap. I thought about doing that. Do you have a pic of the satin blade in the red G-10 handle?

There’s several dlt exclusives on the exchange right now for m390 para 3’s and it’s all for a minuscule 30-60 dollar markup! Get a job and would be way more profitable. Sadly we’re just in a society where no one wants to work but everyone is entitled. And it’s not what this country was founded on, and why it’s failing. Every one wants everything free! Oh wait it’s not free.
Congratulations. This is the most absurd thing I’ve read on the internet today and I just got done reading about the stolen valor maga idiot who got the fight he was looking for and then turned around and cried about it.

If you hate the country so much, leave. The rest of us enjoy capitalism.

You put the mouse down!! We’re tired of people who don’t also agree with our opinion! If u don’t like it that’s your problem. No one ever said anything about hating the country, I said that’s one of its problems is so many don’t wanna work they want everything for free.
So why join in on a thread that you don’t want anything to do with? Have a chill pill and enjoy the day lol

You know what would stop flippers? If Spyderco did custom builds on their website like Benchmade, but have more options and variations. Then also had the prices on their website in line with what they would sell for in store.

Miss an "exclusive"? Make one in their custom shop. What purple scales and m4 blade? Make it I the custom shop. Done and done.

Just got a SFO knife from a non BF dealer so I won't name them but it was one of these. Sold out in under 10 minutes.

The dealer has a one per household policy and note that if they see folks flipping right afterwards they'll make every effort to ban them from future purchases.

Seems fair to me.

IMG_9439.jpg

You know what would stop flippers? If Spyderco did custom builds on their website like Benchmade, but have more options and variations. Then also had the prices on their website in line with what they would sell for in store.

Miss an "exclusive"? Make one in their custom shop. What purple scales and m4 blade? Make it I the custom shop. Done and done.

If they would make it in this mythical "Custom Shop" it would no longer be an exclusive. So by catering to a customer for one knife, they lose the dealer or distributor who would buy 300 to 1200 knives. And if they lowered their website prices as you suggest, then they are competing with their dealers and stand to lose even more. Probably not the best business model, even if they were a lot bigger company than they are.

You know what would be cool is if they made up a special group like a club of folks who wanted to collect all the knives and then if you were in that club you'd get a special knife from every run sent to you and and the collectors in the club would never miss out on a limited release for the collection.

They could call it the Spyderco Accumulator Organization.

It might just work.

How about people not buy the knives and let the prices come down? I honestly wasn't interested in exclusives because a standard black S30v pm2 was fine for me, and it still is. But the the blue/black m390 showed up and I caved. But I'm good now. Blue is my favorite color, and with that black... But I don't care about any of the other colors so I'm safe.

Flippers suck, but that's a fact of life in a capitalist economy. I'm sure a lot of those people have jobs, otherwise they couldn't afford to buy these knives in the first place. I know plenty of people 10 years younger than me and they are some of the most hardworking people I know. Maybe it's the millenials, I don't know... I just missed being a millenial!

So... Don't buy the knives, flippers will lose interest because they can't make a profit...just takes patience. Some people don't have any however...

If they would make it in this mythical "Custom Shop" it would no longer be an exclusive. So by catering to a customer for one knife, they lose the dealer or distributor who would buy 300 to 1200 knives. And if they lowered their website prices as you suggest, then they are competing with their dealers and stand to lose even more. Probably not the best business model, even if they were a lot bigger company than they are.
Are you suggesting they artificially inflate the price on their website so end users specifically buy from dealers instead of the source? Most all dealers have roughly the same prices, where if you look on spydercos website there's at least a $100 markup. I can't imagine dealer kick backs can bring them more profit than cutting out the middleman can.

And I'm not suggesting the custom shop let you do anything under the sun, but they could offer a few different knives that you could customize to your hearts content. May not be spot on to an exclusive, but you could make your own look similar to suit your pallet. Dealers can still get their exclusives, and consumers can get almost the same knife, albeit a different steel, scale material, whatever the case may be, from the custom shop.

You know what would be cool is if they made up a special group like a club of folks who wanted to collect all the knives and then if you were in that club you'd get a special knife from every run sent to you and and the collectors in the club would never miss out on a limited release for the collection.

They could call it the Spyderco Accumulator Organization.

It might just work.
Similar to how you can get a pull list from a comic book store. They put your book away for you before they put the rest on the shelf. Never have to worry about sellouts.

I bought one and I intend to keep it and use it. I’m not a fan of flippers either, but the prices they’re asking are what the market is willing to pay. I’d go so far to say the flippers are the symptom of something else.

Maybe some of the other folks have it right and Spyderco or St Nicks should jack their prices up on the limited runs. Works for Benchmade with their gold class.

Are you suggesting they artificially inflate the price on their website so end users specifically buy from dealers instead of the source? Most all dealers have roughly the same prices, where if you look on spydercos website there's at least a $100 markup. I can't imagine dealer kick backs can bring them more profit than cutting out the middleman can.

And I'm not suggesting the custom shop let you do anything under the sun, but they could offer a few different knives that you could customize to your hearts content. May not be spot on to an exclusive, but you could make your own look similar to suit your pallet. Dealers can still get their exclusives, and consumers can get almost the same knife, albeit a different steel, scale material, whatever the case may be, from the custom shop.

I'm not suggesting they inflate their prices, I'm stating it. They charge full MSRP on their site so they aren't undercutting their dealers. They always have.

The custom shop idea has been floated a hundred times and rejected just as many times. I'd rather they keep devoting their limited resources to developing new models for their whole market segment instead of diverting them into pleasing one person at a time

Congratulations. This is the most absurd thing I’ve read on the internet today and I just got done reading about the stolen valor maga idiot who got the fight he was looking for and then turned around and cried about it.

LOL a triggered snowflake got mad about the truth of the entitlement trend, and then just had to try and throw a punch at Trump supporters no matter how irrelevant it is. Can't get much more pathetic. But congratulations! You really got em, man! Feel better now?

I wish the retailers would raise their exclusives prices. Everyone whined about Bento Box Shop charging so much for their exclusives in M390, but I don't see many of those being resold, and it seems like they're not hard to get if you really want one. Companies should charge what the market can bear, rather than leaving money on the table for flippers. Simple economics.

I wish the retailers would raise their exclusives prices. Everyone whined about Bento Box Shop charging so much for their exclusives in M390, but I don't see many of those being resold, and it seems like they're not hard to get if you really want one. Companies should charge what the market can bear, rather than leaving money on the table for flippers. Simple economics.
They're not being resold because no one's buying them.

Back