Stag Saturday - Let's See Some Traditional Stag!

A couple of 23's from when they used to use stag :(
WC8B04R.jpg

Ut2bBIK.jpg

Do you leave the oil on the pivot and blade afterwards or wipe it off?
That's a good question. I do the bath in a shallow glass container that's about 12" x 6" by 2" high, keeping the mineral oil high enough to cover all the knives in the container, all the folders open, and each set gets an overnight bath. When I take the knives out each morning I point them tip down in a cardboard box lined with paper towels. Then I feed my dog and have a cup of coffee, enough time that most of the excess mineral oil will have dripped off. Then I close each folder (remaining film of mineral oil left on the blade) and place the knives spring-side down on cardboard so that extra mineral oil slowly wicks away. Finally I wipe each folder with a soft, old t-shirt and put it back in storage. The mineral oil bath is what Jerry Fisk and some others recommend, and its what I do with mine each year at New Years. Then around July 4 I wipe them with Don Hanson III's mineral oil/lemon oil recommended treatment. Seems to keep natural handles in good shape, and it gives me an extra chance to handle and enjoy these knives.

That's a good question. I do the bath in a shallow glass container that's about 12" x 6" by 2" high, keeping the mineral oil high enough to cover all the knives in the container, all the folders open, and each set gets an overnight bath. When I take the knives out each morning I point them tip down in a cardboard box lined with paper towels. Then I feed my dog and have a cup of coffee, enough time that most of the excess mineral oil will have dripped off. Then I close each folder (remaining film of mineral oil left on the blade) and place the knives spring-side down on cardboard so that extra mineral oil slowly wicks away. Finally I wipe each folder with a soft, old t-shirt and put it back in storage. The mineral oil bath is what Jerry Fisk and some others recommend, and its what I do with mine each year at New Years. Then around July 4 I wipe them with Don Hanson III's mineral oil/lemon oil recommended treatment. Seems to keep natural handles in good shape, and it gives me an extra chance to handle and enjoy these knives.
very nice. do you use the regular mineral oil from the pharmacy? its not too thick?

6A853B65-69F5-4BBC-8851-7067E72D7111.jpeg Just now took these out of the mineral oil bath. I let them drip over my jar of oil and blot the excess off with a paper towel. Tomorrow morning I’ll wipe them clean with a soft undershirt. I do 5 at a time, letting them soak 24 hours. If you love your stag knives and want to preserve them, you’d be wise to do this once a year.

View attachment 1295774 Just now took these out of the mineral oil bath. I let them drip over my jar of oil and blot the excess off with a paper towel. Tomorrow morning I’ll wipe them clean with a soft undershirt. I do 5 at a time, letting them soak 24 hours. If you love your stag knives and want to preserve them, you’d be wise to do this once a year.

Rob gives his knives 24 hours of spa treatment instead of the budget overnighter mine get :cool: , otherwise it’s the same.

Oh, Rob, don’t you also try to plunge each one into deer blood on an annual basis? Only one of my knives gets that honor each year but I’ve gotta believe that part is also highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Rob gives his knives 24 hours of spa treatment instead of the budget overnighter mine get :cool: , otherwise it’s the same.

Oh, Rob, don’t you also try to plunge each one into deer blood on an annual basis? Only one of my knives gets that honor each year but I’ve gotta believe that part is also highly recommended. :thumbsup:

They are pampered and live a life of luxury David. A majority of them are ritualistically covered in blood throughout the year. As you know, hunting is a year round sport in Texas.

I am very disappointed too. After seeing wonderful examples like Harry showed here, and seeing others over the last couple of years, I was really looking forward to getting one! Still holding out hope. Fingers Crossed.
Larry

Have probably posted these here before , but I just happen to have these in my pockets today . After sitting around all week just wanting to reserve a Northfield #23 in Stag and being let down some , I wanted to carry a Stag Trapper .

Harry

I am very disappointed too. After seeing wonderful examples like Harry showed here, and seeing others over the last couple of years, I was really looking forward to getting one! Still holding out hope. Fingers Crossed.
Larry
Hang in there young man . Things that go around come around .

Harry

People should note that not everybody recommends soaking Stag in mineral-oil, respected knife restorer & maker @Bill DeShivs opposes it. My experiences bear out his caution, it softens Stag, particularly areas where there is pith and can actually promote verdigris. For my part, I will only wipe over Stag scales with oils and try to maintain decently high humidity during dry periods.

Back