• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to trivialize anything but payments made seem trivial to the knives he's received to work on? Has any tally been made of who's owed what?

Flaking on work is one thing but keeping peoples property is really the bottom to me. It's $7.20 per customer to wash his hands of this. There's a reason why we were given a conscience.

Not to trivialize anything but payments made seem trivial to the knives he's received to work on? Has any tally been made of who's owed what?

Flaking on work is one thing but keeping peoples property is really the bottom to me. It's $7.20 per customer to wash his hands of this. There's a reason why we were given a conscience.

conservative estimates on what he's kept <stolen, at this point> of mine:
1. EUC Dodo...$160
2. NIB Tatanka...$150
3. NIB Police 3...$120
4. NIB Chaparral...$100
5. CTek slabs...$60

$590...I'll round it to $600-- and that's still probably a bit low. He's indirectly cost @Hackenslash another $100 for sending me his Chappy as consolation. So let's call it $700 for me & Hack.

Everyone keep an eye out for anyone trying to sell these models with a new or sketchy <see what I did there? :rolleyes:> profile on the various sales & auction sites...he lives in Clinton, Mass. if that helps to zero it in further.

Last edited:
Mine was a sprint xhp Millie, plus it was already pimped by Steve, so about $500 here.

Attachments

• 20161103_154914-1554x1330.jpg
    20161103_154914-1554x1330.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 44
So far my last shot at getting Steves attention has had zero results. But I have a very close friend in New York City who has offered to get one of his friends, who happens to run an investigative company, get some info for me if I so desire. Declined the initial offer but told him to hold the thought. I am torn about going down that rabbit hole..thoughts anyone.

So far my last shot at getting Steves attention has had zero results. But I have a very close friend in New York City who has offered to get one of his friends, who happens to run an investigative company, get some info for me if I so desire. Declined the initial offer but told him to hold the thought. I am torn about going down that rabbit hole..thoughts anyone.

IMHO, a waste of time, potentially money, and likely to get someone hurt. Just what are you or someone else going to do with the info anyway? Reign it in, report it to the authorities and let them handle it.

IMHO, a waste of time, potentially money, and likely to get someone hurt. Just what are you or someone else going to do with the info anyway? Reign it in, report it to the authorities and let them handle it.
From what I understand it would be non confrontational just some computer work... if I had his home address I would gladly give it to the Sheriff in Clinton, Ma.. The only address I have is a po box in Lancaster, Ma. If the price wasn't to steep I would foot the bill myself. But I have the same reservations as you touched on and wanted to gets others thoughts on this ... I hesitate because I do not know the story behind Steves actions and ruining someone's life. for a few bucks is not my intentions...but am suspicious because these actions have been going on for awhile now.

From what I understand it would be non confrontational just some computer work... if I had his home address I would gladly give it to the Sheriff in Clinton, Ma.. The only address I have is a po box in Lancaster, Ma. If the price wasn't to steep I would foot the bill myself. But I have the same reservations as you touched on and wanted to gets others thoughts on this ... I hesitate because I do not know the story behind Steves actions and ruining someone's life. for a few bucks is not my intentions...but am suspicious because these actions have been going on for awhile now.

You don't need to know his address. Let the Clinton Co. SO figure it out, as well as how to proceed, if at all. That's part of why we pay taxes.

PeteyTwoPointOne PeteyTwoPointOne
While I respect the way you have handled yourself so far info this thread, you can't add the value of a knife that was sent to you to the total value of your property that Steve has kept. Hackenslash sent you that knife as a goodwill gesture. Sure, hack's technically out the value of the knife; but it isn't in Steve's possession.

PeteyTwoPointOne PeteyTwoPointOne
While I respect the way you have handled yourself so far info this thread, you can't add the value of a knife that was sent to you to the total value of your property that Steve has kept. Hackenslash sent you that knife as a goodwill gesture. Sure, hack's technically out the value of the knife; but it isn't in Steve's possession.

hh...I didn't intend to make it look like I was adding it in to MY tally...point is, Hack wouldn't have gifted his knife to me if Ketchen hadn't went AWOL. So technically he's down $$$ because of Ketchen's behavior, albeit indirectly. I only wanted to make sure even the collateral damage :mad: this dude's leaving in his wake is not being overlooked.

Maybe it was a bit of a stretch...but I thought about how businesses subsidize theft and shrinkage...and how UNFAIR it is to pass on the expense to the law abiding, paying, honest customers...I don't like that one damn bit and I don't think it should written off without at least being accounted for in some way to make it plain that thievery can affect EVERYONE even if they're not directly involved, one way or the other.

The biggest difference is Hack, willingly gave up something that cost him his hard-earned $$$ as a graceful gesture to a brother who was feeling a little blue over having feeling betrayed by another.

I apologize if I offended anyone's sensibilities by trying to keep Hack's gesture in remembrance and account for it in a honest way. Most of all I don't want Hackenslash to feel like I overlooked his priceless kindness by trying to put a number with it...my intent was EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE. Thievery has it's costs...material as well as intangible.

Last edited:
This brings up another salient point I need viewpoints about.

I've held off a long time referring to Ketchen's behavior with my funds and property as being unlawful.

But considering I've tried multiple times in multiple mediums to contact him, and a couple times getting thru and getting a response back, and clearly communicate my intentions about what I wanted and how I'd proceed if I wasn't made whole...I'd like to beg the following question:

Exactly where and when can actions like what Ketchen's carried out and that I've laid out for everyone here be called theft, or similar?

Do you think I'm premature saying I've been robbed? I'm being genuine here, I'm not laying red herrings to draw someone in for an argument trying to justify myself. I'm asking brothers their advice. TIA:)

IMHO, you have been robbed and Steve is a thief. This is not a debateable point.

I have no idea what illness, family trajedy, addiction or nonspecific moral degeneration caused Steve to act this way. It was 100% within his power to handle it differently and he chose the lowest road. You gave him EVERY chance to make this right. He did not. Simply put, that makes him a criminal.

I've held off a long time referring to Ketchen's behavior with my funds and property as being unlawful.

But considering I've tried multiple times in multiple mediums to contact him, and a couple times getting thru and getting a response back, and clearly communicate my intentions about what I wanted and how I'd proceed if I wasn't made whole...I'd like to beg the following question:

Exactly where and when can actions like what Ketchen's carried out and that I've laid out for everyone here be called theft, or similar?

Do you think I'm premature saying I've been robbed? I'm being genuine here, I'm not laying red herrings to draw someone in for an argument trying to justify myself. I'm asking brothers their advice. TIA:)
Pete you and the rest of us have been robbed or had fraud committed against us... I went,over mine and Steves emails and something jumped out at me...we were communicating and the communication ceased once I informed him I would not be sending my Gayle Bradley until I had received the Gayle Bradley 2 back. So was he intentionally trying to get another knife, not sure but I know I am glad I didn't send it to him. Just going over the whole it seems he has been scamming, robbing or committing fraud for awhile.'at this point were not even sure if we have all the people who have been duped and if he is selling these knives to others they. have unwittingly participated in a scam..conjecture about this part because I don't know what he is doing other than keeping our knives. What to do.. de we all write a letter to the Clinton Sheriff and ask them to investigate or do we just chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

I am seriously contemplating contacting local sheriff in MA, if for not other reason just to let him know he can't scam a bunch of guys and skate away to repeat it all over again. I'm gonna speak with my local sheriff and see if he has any advice. I'll let everyone know when I find out something myself.

I am seriously contemplating contacting local sheriff in MA, if for not other reason just to let him know he can't scam a bunch of guys and skate away to repeat it all over again. I'm gonna speak with my local sheriff and see if he has any advice. I'll let everyone know when I find out something myself.
You would have better luck speaking with a postal inspector as they handle mail fraud. Using the USPS to commit fraud/theft is pretty much illegal. I don't know of not care to know the legalities or limitations of such a crime, but it is against the law.

Flaking on work is one thing but keeping peoples property is really the bottom to me. There's a reason why we were given a conscience.

^ This.

Following this thread, has definitely been the most disappointing, confounding downfalls, I've witnessed since becoming a member here. :confused:

It's truly sad, seeing the willful destruction of all the talented work Steve's invested, building such a loyal following of friends & supporter's here. For what? :(

^ This.

Following this thread, has definitely been the most disappointing, confounding downfalls, I've witnessed since becoming a member here. :confused:

It's truly sad, seeing the willful destruction of all the talented work Steve's invested, building such a loyal following of friends & supporter's here. For what? :(

I echo your thoughts. Steve did great work and was easy to work with a few years back when I had some scales made. It's saddening to see this descent.

Man you have handled this with a lot of patience that being said I don't believe you are wrong for calling him a thief. This guy stole from you and other members and should receive punishment for his actions. We see this every once in awhile here and nothing ever come of it. I know I would and many others would love to see a thief broght to charges for theft they pull here . Excuse after excuse after excuse is so old many don't even believe anything anymore. He stole from you and others bottom line no more discussion he's a thief. I think seeing at least one of these theives brought up on charges would serve as a warning their shit won't be tolerated here

Fellas, I feel for everyone in this thread. It's a long thread with a lot of pure heartbreak.

The ONLY reason I am posting in it is to advise you as a group or as individuals to contact a REAL attorney. A Criminal lawyer.
Cops, and Sheriffs know too little about courtroom law to offer real advice.

The point that is glaring at me is intention.
Did Steve plan to steal or did it develop as a result of actions.
Postal laws are guided by intent. Same for criminal law (in MOST) situations.
There IS enough damage to be worth civil court, and you all will win. No doubt about it.

The fact that Steve had ANY contact with you AFTER receiving items that YOU willingly sent may negate any criminal actions ie: warrants.

Please contact an attorney to see where you stand. Speculation is only hurting you fellas, and allowing the clock to tick.

Best of luck to everyone in this matter. I hope you can/will follow the correct course of action from here.

Fellas, I feel for everyone in this thread. It's a long thread with a lot of pure heartbreak.

The ONLY reason I am posting in it is to advise you as a group or as individuals to contact a REAL attorney. A Criminal lawyer.
Cops, and Sheriffs know too little about courtroom law to offer real advice.

The point that is glaring at me is intention.
Did Steve plan to steal or did it develop as a result of actions.
Postal laws are guided by intent. Same for criminal law (in MOST) situations.
There IS enough damage to be worth civil court, and you all will win. No doubt about it.

The fact that Steve had ANY contact with you AFTER receiving items that YOU willingly sent may negate any criminal actions ie: warrants.

Please contact an attorney to see where you stand. Speculation is only hurting you fellas, and allowing the clock to tick.

Best of luck to everyone in this matter. I hope you can/will follow the correct course of action from here.
I am afraid the cost of an atty would probably cost more than the value of our property. I will check with the facility that I mailed my knife and check outof on Monday and see what they have to say. Our main problem is we are scattered all over so it's kind of hard to get a group organized to put up a solid front. At this point in time I just hope Steve cuts himself real bad with one of our knives, they say Karmas a bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back