• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo, what if anything is being officially done with this guy? :confused: Is this another "we're waiting until he makes everybody good"? :rolleyes: ROTSARUK! ;) Or did I miss something entirely (not all that unusual). o_O

Do you mean here on BFC?

No actions to receive what is ours appears to be easy or straight foreword. Perhaps Steve thinks if he ignores everyone this mess will just disappear. At this point he appears to be irrational... telling people their items will be shipped on a certain date then doesn't follow through to completely ignoring others emails and,inquiries. I am mystified... how can somebody that was considered an honest upfront person do a 180?

Ernest, what's even stranger to me is that in his last communication to me he included a picture of the scales he supposedly repaired:
SmartSelectImage_2017-08-22-18-41-39-380x364.png
Seems like a lot of effort on his part to just go south like this.

Ernest, what's even stranger to me is that in his last communication to me he included a picture of the scales he supposedly repaired:
View attachment 754163
Seems like a lot of effort on his part to just go south like this.
Steve I worked as a corrections officer for 20 years and have observed this type of behavior before. Usually it is with someone who is experiencing a a psychotic break from reality, the onset of a mental illness. It is sad to witness, an otherwise upstanding perso. Just going south and they can't help it nor understand what is going on with themselves. Not implying Steve is having this type of problem it just seems to be a familiar pattern to me. I am the
Muted to write a letter to his w

Well, it's 100% sure PayPal is letting him know everything's not kosher with me...:mad:

At this point it doesn't appear to be the actions of a rational man.

If he goes awol with PayPal...how's he gonna conduct business?

If he craps his bed here...he's alienated himself from the largest knife-related enthusiasts' base in the world...

For what? To bilk me out of $500 worth of common production model knives?

It....just....doesn't....make sense.

As Ernest said, it's like he's done a 180...a real Jekyll/Hyde routine. :confused:

Steve I worked as a corrections officer for 20 years and have observed this type of behavior before. Usually it is with someone who is experiencing a a psychotic break from reality, the onset of a mental illness. It is sad to witness, an otherwise upstanding perso. Just going south and they can't help it nor understand what is going on with themselves. Not implying Steve is having this type of problem it just seems to be a familiar pattern to me. I am the
Muted to write a letter to his w

Ernest...I think your keyboard is "experiencing a psychotic break" again, like yesterday...are you driving thru a tunnel?:p

Cont.
I am tempted to write a letter to his wife just to see if she is aware of what he is doing....if legal actions ensue she would be affected by the,outcome as well. Maybe she would make him do right.. just a thought.

Steven Ketchen has been banned for nondelivery and noncommunication with his customers.

So Rev...there's no way he can communicate with us in any way via BF now?
Nope, by the looks of things, he wasn't doing a bang up job of it anyway. He has been ignoring everyone lately. If people do this, they have no business here. File paypal disputes and keep emailing him. He might be a member on other forums so, you can always go hunting for him. I think it's safe to say everyone's patience has been exhausted at this point.

Damn that's a double edged sword.. cuts both ways.. ouch. At least no one will be scammed on blade forum by him anymore.

Damn that's a double edged sword.. cuts both ways.. ouch. At least no one will be scammed on blade forum by him anymore.
Rev's correct...he can get me via cell call, email, text, etc. I will pass along whatever he chooses to communicate to me and I won't let him forget he's leaving other brothers whistlin in the wind here too besides me-- I'm not holding out any hope he'll contact me again. :(

This is a new world for me... does anyone know of any legal actions we can take for this type of scam.. we are all scattered around different states and not all of us have used paypal? I do not know the law regarding using the net for fraudulent activity or if some monetary threshold has to be met in order to take action.. or are we sol.

So, there's 4 or 5 of us who currently having our knives and/or funds and materials being held hostage by Ketchen...

Anybody else out there lurking who can share any relative information pro/con
from RECENT interactions with sketchenscales?

So, there's 4 or 5 of us who currently having our knives and/or funds and materials being held hostage by Ketchen...

Anybody else out there lurking who can share any relative information pro/con
from RECENT interactions with sketchenscales?

Yes, me. I first got in touch with him in November 2016 about some canvas micarta scales for my sage 5. On March 30, 2017, he said he was ready to start work on it. He asked for payment up front which I agreed to based on his reputation, and I sent the knife and the money. He got the knife on April 17, and told me it would be done early May. Early May turned into late May, then June. In mid June he promised it would be done by the end of June, and even offered a lanyard bead to compensate for the delay. I heard nothing from him at the deadline, so in mid July I started emailing him, and he has never replied. I've probably sent him a dozen emails since then. I started out just asking for updates, then demanding updates, then demanding/begging for my knife back. Toward the end of July I started a paypal dispute which was decided in my favor a few days ago. So, I have my money back but no Sage 5, and I don't expect to ever see it again. Very frustrating that the guy decided to go rogue basically as soon as I sent him my knife. I also feel bad for everyone else who has knives and money with him. This experience highlights for me the degree to which many internet related transactions are carried out basically on trust and blind faith, and the good news is that things usually turn out fine, just not this time!

on_the_edge, yes, that's what I meant and Rev answered the question. I'm glad others will not be taken in by this person (at least here). Sad story. :(

This just popped up in my inbox:

Resolution of Your Case: #PP-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ron,

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $410.00 USD and this amount has been credited to
you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to
recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details

Seller's Name: Steven Ketchen
Seller's Email: sketchen82@gmail.com
Seller's Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Transaction Date: Apr 1, 2017
Transaction Amount: -$410.00 USD
Your Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Case Number: PP-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx

Buyer's Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What to Do Next

No further action is required by you at this time.

So, a little bit of justice has been served. I'm still out $60 I fronted him on materials and $500+ worth of Spydercos. Still taking under advisement plans on how to repossess my property and balance of my funds he has outstanding to me.

Slowly it seems some other members are stepping out of the shadows revealing the extent of Ketchen's bizarre behavior. I hope this isn't just the tip of the iceberg.

Guys, let me know if I can help in any little way with my experiences with Ketchen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back