• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Strider Knives, Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES, Chuck was there according to Mick.

Yes, he is paid for attendance, air fare, lodging as is Marchinko.

I will add that one of Mick's coments to me in our converstation WAS do you think Chuck would hang out with a PHONEY ?

I answered YES I do, if there was enough money to make it worth his while...

In my circles we have a word for that. We call that a "WHORRIOR"....

TA DA !

"I'm not sure how Strider Company will be able to survive this one.....who knows?"

I didn't post the name of the person who posted this comment because my reply is not directed to them individually but to this notion in general.

Hi chris, you quoted me and here's my thinking on it.

When Micky Berger went through the same kind of ordeal about lying to folks that Duane is now going through, I believe the feeling by a lot of people was that the Stider company had this "other guy", Duane the sniper, who was on board as a co-owner and was a real confirmed kill, reputable military special ops type of guy with a real impressive Military background who had a great reputation of having integrity. A lot of people liked him, and still do......as they should......A friend should remain a friend.

I believe that a lot of people wrote off the significance of the BS that Mick was spewing to everyone for so many years simply out of respect for Duane.

Even while all that was going on about Mick back then, I felt very sorry for this very respected and supposedly honorable Duane while I thought about what it must be like to be partners with what I considered at the time to be a real lowlife, Micky Berger, the ex-con felon BS artist(which to have felt that about Mick was unnecessarily harsh on my part.)

Now that the Strider Company is missing the one last vestige of special military expertise in Duane that everyone thought still existed at Strider Co. after the Micky ordeal, not to mention the disgrace that BOTH owners of Strider now share, I doubt there's much of a future for a company that once had a fantastic reputation as a great tactical knife manufacturer that had so much of its goodwill, which is a very valuable asset for a lot of companies to possess, built on a foundation of lies through fantastic stories of special military training and expertise and backgrounds of two guys that anyone would envy, all of which appears to have been created out of thin air by the corrupt imaginations of two BS artists just because they wanted to have a niche market for their business to make money in.

Even after all that, I still hope that they can turn it around somehow by coming back without all the lies. We all make mistakes as some here have pointed out and now it's time for us knife enthusiasts to see how we can maybe help these guys eventually get back on track.

"One more question, Was Mawhinney at the Strider booth?"

I was wondering the same thing.

It coulda all been a misunderstanding. See, the United Shoe Machine Company employs highly skilled workers who snip the end of the cord that’s used to plug the machine in. They are called “snippers” on the assembly line and snipping the cord is referred to as “killing” the cord. A skilled snipper who works fast is justly proud of his impressive kill count, and they boast about it at every opportunity. That coulda been all he meant – it’s just that he doesn’t know how to spell so instead of typing “USMC snipper” he typed “USMC sniper.” He didn’t know it would provoke some people to start all this foofaraw or he woulda checked his spelling. Sheesh, some people….

Although the United Shoe Machine Company has no record of him ever being an employee the records coulda been … oh, gimme a break! I’ll think up what coulda happened to the records later. You people…. :rolleyes:

Interesting web surfing today, threads being locked, SOCNET itself being attacked.

Kool-Aid must be highly addictive????

I will add at this time POWNETWORK, SOCNET, SPARK, Bubbanumber1, RVNVET and OTHERS that were HONEST, DECENT,

ETHICAL and UNDERSTAND the SIGNIFICANCE of this my HAT is off to you as well.

TRUTH is IMPORTANT in life whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

Funny how sometimes LIFE immitates ART and conversely ART immitates LIFE.

"A FEW GOOD MEN" resonates w/ me pretty good right now...

I am not going to comment in detail on the latest sad episode in this saga or rehash my earlier role in it other than to reiterate a side point that irks me all the more for the recent revelations.

The gun & knife press is less credible than are the tabloids that follow the drug abusers and freakazoids that populate Hollywood. The industry press that is no doubt covering SHOT this weekend is miraculously awful.

How, in an industry allegedly full of players, who sell and promote products that appeal in part to BTDT customers, so many were taken in by the hype is truly a sad commentary.

I know that in the future unless were talking about Justin Gingrich, any maker coming down the pike that claims any special ju-ju for having served in special forces, the military at large, or claims to have learned what boating knife design is best from extensive 12 meter yachting experience, well I'm now from Missouri.

It's put up or shut up time for the publicity flacks in this industry be they makers or the "so called press."

My "heroes" in this industry are now all the guys who paid their dues over the anvil, or changing grinder belts, or were bitten by countless insects coming up with better designs out in the field, who go on to make or design knives that are built and sold with honor.

If the products can stand on their own, they will, and that should be enough.

However, propping products up with bullshit ensures that the merits of a product will always be tainted by the smell.

The industry press is dead to me. Any maker or company that can't make honest tools without ridiculous hype is dead to me.

It coulda all been a misunderstanding. See, the United Shoe Machine Company employs highly skilled workers who snip the end of the cord that’s used to plug the machine in. They are called “snippers” on the assembly line and snipping the cord is referred to as “killing” the cord. A skilled snipper who works fast is justly proud of his impressive kill count, and they boast about it at every opportunity. That coulda been all he meant – it’s just that he doesn’t know how to spell so instead of typing “USMC snipper” he typed “USMC sniper.” He didn’t know it would provoke some people to start all this foofaraw or he woulda checked his spelling. Sheesh, some people….

Although the United Shoe Machine Company has no record of him ever being an employee the records coulda been … oh, gimme a break! I’ll think up what coulda happened to the records later. You people…. :rolleyes:

That's too funny.... Can't you picture Jay Leno telling this story on the Tonight Show? The WGA are looking for new talent. :)

I am not going to comment in detail on the latest sad episode in this saga or rehash my earlier role in it other than to reiterate a side point that irks me all the more for the recent revelations.

The gun & knife press is less credible than are the tabloids that follow the drug abusers and freakazoids that populate Hollywood. The industry press that is no doubt covering SHOT this weekend is miraculously awful.

How, in an industry allegedly full of players, who sell and promote products that appeal in part to BTDT customers, so many were taken in by the hype is truly a sad commentary.

I know that in the future unless were talking about Justin Gingrich, any maker coming down the pike that claims any special ju-ju for having served in special forces, the military at large, or claims to have learned what boating knife design is best from extensive 12 meter yachting experience, well I'm now from Missouri.

It's put up or shut up time for the publicity flacks in this industry be they makers or the "so called press."

My "heroes" in this industry are now all the guys who paid their dues over the anvil, or changing grinder belts, or were bitten by countless insects coming up with better designs out in the field, who go on to make or design knives that are built and sold with honor.

If the products can stand on their own, they will, and that should be enough.

However, propping products up with bullshit ensures that the merits of a product will always be tainted by the smell.

The industry press is dead to me. Any maker or company that can't make honest tools without ridiculous hype is dead to me.

BOATS is 100% CORRECT.

I will also add that MOST of you would be surprised at the GUN RAGS as well.

Even though a VERY POPULAR GUN Magazine WAS WARNED about the FRAUD/DECEIT/POSER they chose to WHORE themselves for PRODUCT and mutual adulation by their corrupt peers.

The article will come out in March Issue.

My OPINION is, it is NOT worth SQUAT !

PT BARUM was right BTW.....

I ain't much, but as a member of the NG and a couple weeks from being a cop (damn long hiring process) I'd share this with anyone who comes to me for a knife recommendation. Doesn't happen all that often, but I'm always the one in the room who knows the most about knives, what little that is. They can make their own choices, but if I get asked about Strider, I wouldn't leave this out of the discussion.

But this is what I wanted to see determined, whether or not the owners of Strider would stand up in regards to being honest about having done the same things as the people they are trying to sell to. They both served; why they had to lie, who the hell knows.

Could it hurt their business if others do the same? I dunno, but if the truth is what hurts your business, then what does that say? A lot of people make their money being dishonest, I just don't like the idea of people not being informed consumers.

Although, I really don't know many in uniform who would buy at this price level anyway.

An Epidemic of Military Imposters
By Steve Robinson
"The name and regiment of the person with the action so certified are to be entered in the 'Book of Merit,' which will be kept at the orderly office. Should any who are not entitled to these honors have the insolence to assume the badges of them, they shall be severely punished."

So wrote General George Washington in his Aug. 7, 1782, general order establishing the nation's first military decoration...

As this article is written there is a veritable epidemic of military imposters loose in our nation; respect and admiration for our armed forces personnel are at a level not seen since the days of World War Two. Military personnel are seen as laudable and commendable, and are praised and honored at public gatherings. Hardly a day passes without mention of “our heroes in uniform” in the print and broadcast media. While most military veterans are loath to be called a “hero” themselves, most will readily suggest that they have met or
served with some bona fide heroes.

.......There are some legitimate military veterans who are not satisfied with their record of achievements and duties and who embellish their military records, claiming duties, skills, awards and commendations which they never actually earned.

False claims of military service are offered by charlatans for a plethora of reasons. ....... Corporate executives use false military credentials in an attempt to gain an edge in corporate marketing directed at military clients. .......

The majority of Americans are trusting individuals who readily accept personal credentials when they are offered. Most wouldn’t think of claiming deeds or honors which they didn’t earn. Military imposters thrive in this trusting atmosphere...........

When informed about the growing epidemic of military imposters in our nation, many people ask “why bother with them?” Inquirers often suggest that military imposters are more to be pitied for their lack of self-esteem and self-worth than prosecuted, and that the making of false claims of military service is a ‘victimless crime’.

On the contrary, it is not victimless, ..........

Federal law enforcement agents are currently engaged in Operation Stolen Valor, a nationwide effort to bring the most egregious offenders to justice and demonstrate to the American public that our government will not tolerate those in our society who make false military claims for any reason, whether it is to gain employment or promotion under false pretenses, obtain unearned government benefits, or for purposes of self aggrandizement of an over-inflated ego.

There are victims aplenty when false military claims are made. ..... those individuals who are personally defrauded of goods, services and cash by multitudes of military imposters,

........Those who are serving or have served in the military forces highly value selflessness by their fellows. That selflessness – the placing of a higher value on the safety and lives of one’s fellows above one’s own safety and life – is respected, acknowledged and honored ......

....... military imposters seek to mislead others into believing that they belong in the company of those who have selflessly put themselves at risk for their brothers-in-arms.

The dishonor which such deception does to those who truly earned the awards discredits the contributions of the real heroes and devalues the sacrifices of those who gave their lives in service to the nation while observing those ideals.

Devaluation of History

.........While military actions in Grenada (1983), Panama (1989), Operation Desert Storm/Shield (1990-91), the ongoing Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and ongoing Operation Iraqi Freedom (Iraq) have all received massive televised coverage, the individual experiences of military veterans in these conflicts go largely unreported and undocumented.

Seven years ago, in an effort to preserve the oral histories of individual military participants, the Library of Congress began its Veterans History Project. They invited military veterans or their families to compile written, oral, or video histories of the military events of their lives.

Sadly, those who feel comfortable with exaggerating their personal contributions related to military service have had a veritable heyday at the
expense of accuracy in the Veterans History Project.

Recently a reporter for the Marine Corps Times looked into the actual credentials of a number of individuals who had contributed to the Veterans History Project. The findings were truly alarming........

Further examinations are ongoing related to claims of membership and service in various elite units such as the Army SF, Army Rangers, Navy SEALs, and Marine Force Recon. Initial examinations reveal significant numbers of false statements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author Steve Robinson served on active duty as an enlisted man in the US Navy from January 1970 to November 1978. After schooling as a Radioman, he subsequently attended and successfully graduated from Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL Training and joined SEAL Team ONE in early 1971.

Following his active duty, Robinson worked as a Defense Analyst specializing in Soviet Threat for a number of military defense contract firms.

In 1993 he turned his hobby of historical blacksmithing into a full time
job. He is now medically retired and lives with his wife in southwest Missouri.

Robinson currently volunteers his services as a member of the Advisory Board for the POW Network (www.pownetwork.org), and as an SOF Analyst and Contributing Journalist for the Naval Special Warfare Archives (www.navyfrogmen.com).

He is the author of the book “NO GUTS, NO GLORY – Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters” (2002)

http://www.pownetwork.org/pownet.secure1/An%20Epidemic%20of%20Military%20Imposters1.pdf

The whole thing is just sad. As far as I'm concerned Duane's time for saving face has come and gone. Its too late for that now. As far as I'm concerned he missed his opportunity for that and no amount of apologizing now is going to make up or do him any good like it would have if he'd have come clean before SOCNET made their findings public. He lied to his brother Marine on the phone and probably to countless others both civilian and veteran alike who are all probably sitting around in disqust at this time.

This scenario reminds me of the Law and Order shows where the criminal suspect they know did it lies and lies and lies until, wait for it, here it comes, "ok I'll tell you the truth" and finally after you've proven he can't get out of it any longer he confesses.

The worst part is that I am fairly certain we have no idea of just how sad its going to get now that the cat is finally out of the bag. My guess is that this isn't the end at all but its just the start. Honestly I don't know how either Mick or Duane even walk in public. They have disgraced themselves so bad here with all this constant controversy over the last I don't know how many years with all this crap and lies that its pathetic!

Whats really ironic is how those supporting these two bozos want to blame anyone questioning them for all the controversy and bad feelings in this industry though. Get real guys! Lay the blame where it belongs. Everyone else that has been dragged through the mud, or is yet to be brought into it over this can thank them too. Get that guys? You can thank these two guys right here, Mick and Duane for the egg on your face and for now having to get used to the taste of crow! Don't blame Lance, or Kevin, or anyone else for this you can thank Mick and Duane. In fact for that matter Duane can thank Mick for his even being found out at all. If Mick had just kept his mouth shut instead of starting in on Chris Osman like he did none of us would have had a clue that Duane was not what he claimed or had any reason to even question his credibility. Thanks to ole Micky Ray though it was dug into a little deeper on his partner and more dirt was discovered than anyone bargained for.

As for hurting their business, well if I had to guess I'd say its very possible they will be hurt by this, and perhaps more than anyone can imagine. I mean, I am fairly certain its just a matter of time before investigations into those military contracts they have are underway and I will not be at all surprised if those contracts are pulled and there may be further investigation into contracts they signed to see if they are infact accurate. They better just hope they are is all I can say. Knowing what we know now I'd have to say Strider is undeserving of those military contracts whether the contracts are accurate or not though and I venture to say that any politician or person that has power or oversight on those matters is going to feel exactly the same way. All its going to take is one powerful person to say, hey, what the hell are we awarding military contracts to phonies for and the plug could be pulled on that for good folks and when they are its milliions! I don't think we have a clue as to the domino effect this could develop into folks.

STR

hardheart said:
They both served

Both Mick and Duane served and people have verified the DD-214 of Duane.

Has anyone seen the actual DD-214 of Mick other than the one he posted himself with a lot of stuff lined out?

I know there was some discussion in the other thread that he may not have actually had an honorable discharge and the word "honorable" in the DD-214 that was posted may have not been put there by the military.

Well, this has been "eye opening" to say the least.

I thank Bubbanumber1 for bringing it up in the first place.. whatever the reason.

A big thank's to Lance .. [Tamishigiri} for hanging in there like a Timex watch {taking a verbal licking and keeping on ticking}.
Thank you Lance... :thumbup:

OH yeah....(DESPITE the FAct thAT sOmE dId not LIKE your writING stYLE.... ;) ...)
..... IMO, you did good...... :thumbup:

Thank's also to RVNVET for pretty telling it like it was from the start... like most of the others who did in fact really know.... :thumbup: [Oh yeah... you can get back to your ""knife search"" now......;)..so Micky doesn't worry]

And also to Gene Martin...
who came across to me as the voice of calm reason... Thank You Gene.

And thank's to the many others also..[some being, but not limited too... RWS, Spark, B&B, Boats, Cougar Allen, Slatts.....] many more....too numerous to mention.. who used common sense and pretty much were looking for the truth of the matter.

PS / Oh yeah... I forgot till I read Thomas Linton's post below.......

A Big Thank You to the folks at POWNET, SOCNET, BLACKFIVE, and, if SOCNET is believed.. [and I feel they are]...., HQ USMC.

. . .i dont know that the accusers are any better than the accused in this situation . . . .

it will take a lot more than mad dog to make me buy all this, not to say there isnt a lot more than mad dog involved.
The "accusers" definitely include the folks at POWNET, SOCNET, BLACKFIVE, and, if SOCNET is believed, HQ USMC.

Clearly nothing will convince you.

And if DD is no better than Mad Dog, what does that say for DD?

Both Mick and Duane served and people have verified the DD-214 of Duane.

Has anyone seen the actual DD-214 of Mick other than the one he posted himself with a lot of stuff lined out?

I know there was some discussion in the other thread that he may not have actually had an honorable discharge and the word "honorable" in the DD-214 that was posted may have not been put there by the military.

There was a scan of a DD214 with the disposition redacted. With the comments in the court papers saying he lost all rank and was barred from re-enlistment, I won't guess as to what happened.

If it was a dishonorable, he just should have never mentioned he had been in the military and stuck to grinding blades in silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back