Strider style knives

The Southern Grind folders handle shape always struck me as Strider'ish

Last edited:
The Buck/Strider has been out of production for some time and are hard to find on the exchanges. I think there may be one for sale on one of the exchanges(not BF) now(or at least was one recently), but I can't say when the last one was for sale-could have been a year or more.
but certainly possible
Found them on the big A site.

I had this one and I have a newer Strider SmF and I can tell you the real Strider is far above it.
3487407_01_nib_qulity_knives_buck_strider_640.jpg

This is rough... I honestly want to try and give you good advice so take what I am going to say with that in mind. (First.... Disclaimer: I have not owned a Strider or even a Buck variant, but I do read a lot, so there is that...)
  • There are good Buck knives and then there are not so good Buck knives. The Buck Strider knives would be in the latter category. I have read more bad than good and considering how expensive they tend to be, I can forgo the aesthetics need and pick something up that is far more conducive to my needs in that price range.
  • Controversy aside, if you really want a Strider knife, your best bet is to fork out what they are going for and know you are going to get a tank of a knife that can dig ditches and cut through car doors all while shouting, "I have the power!!!" whilst frolicking with your Battle Cat.
  • Considering how much of a cluster the big A site tends to be when it comes to buying knives, I certainly wouldn't even bother trying to find a Strider there, even a Buck version. It is just asking for a gigantic headache, in my honest opinion.
  • I can't advocate you doing anything illegal but the Protech is probably going to be your best bet if you absolutely have to have a knife that looks like a Strider, is well made, and comes with a reasonable price tag.
Ultimately though, you have to do you, buy what you think you are going to like, I certainly hope it works out for you and you can be happy with your purchase.

If we are including fixed blades there is always the Cold Steel GI Tanto.

Otherwise I would say for folders Hinderers are similar to striders in some ways. You can get ZT hinderers. I think the ZT Strider Onions are discontinued.

Buck Strider is it. Around $200
I think the one to look for in the Buck versions was the Tarani but as already said finding one isn't easy and the price usually isn't that much of a bargain.

Before I was 100% plugged into the history of Strider I spent a long time looking for one of those Buck editions myself with no joy. I did find a Strider AR and get a taste of what a prybar folder is but then afterwards I found out that they're not the nicest guys on the block. It is a very nice knife and if they just had told the truth I'd bet they would have still been a success on quality of their work.

Josiah Gravelle's PCP model also looks remarkably like a slightly smaller Strider SA with a PT's handle shape if fixed blades aren't off the table.

$190 new. S35VN and G10 scales.

Reactions: rpn
The Spyderco Native is about the same size and shape as the Strider PT. Protech as mentioned also, another idea of the Cold Steel American Lawman, different lock and uses studs but is very heavy duty and has a similar blade shape and forward choil.

Haven’t read anything positive about the Buck Strider......at all.
Pro Tech is the way to go if you MUST.
Joe

You can buy the Buck Strider on Amazon.

The black batch was made in 2011. The blades are 440HC. I believe they originally cost around $50. Now they are selling for $185.

The stonewashed batch has ATS-34 steel. The blades were made in 2004. They were assembled in 2016 and go for $213.

Linerlocks.

I’ve been considering the black version but think

I'd just save up for a real one. Check sites and sign up for notifications from shops like one that sell Customs Knives based in Arizona... users and minty fresh ones come up semi regularly.

I loved my buck strider at the cheap ass price I paid for it. Not worth what they are going for now mate.

Id say for similar functionality and rugged aesthetic at a lower price, Emerson would be a good bet. Maybe the CQC10 if you dig the hole in the blade.

On a side note, I thought Strider as soon as I saw that Spyderco Shaman!

Hi. I also like Strider folders but it has always been very difficult to find here reputable dealers having them in stock. The rare cases where I have been able to find the models I am interested in, the prices, for me, were prohibitive (starting from 600 EUR up). :( To be honest, I have a personal set limit of 250-ish EUR for single knife purchase, even if we talk about hobby money. First of all, with a family of three kids, priorities often change and, from my own experience, with everything more expensive than that I find the law of diminishing return kicks in very/too hard.

About the so called “Strider controversy”, there are innumerable threads here on BF and in the web. Everyone has the opportunity to know the facts, elaborate them and form own opinions about. I had my say, not so long ago, here.

I ended up in buying something aesthetically somehow similar to a Strider folder but, eventually, more suitable for my carry needs and price tag :). It’s a mid-tech knife from Sascha Thiel, the Officer, which retains, for me, a kind of Strider-esque look which I truly like, but interpreted in a more refined and stylish design and it’s also an "easier" folder for me to EDC. These were available, at the time of my purchase at a price around 260 EUR delivered. I think Sascha is still making runs of these and, in the meantime, has added many new handles colors and decors. You can check out his web-site. By the way, I am carrying exactly this one this week :thumbsup:.

Anyway I strongly believe if you really want a Strider, try to get a real Strider. Save up for a while and get the real thing you really like. The joy and contentment deriving from being finally able to get exactly what I was looking for and the journey made of little steps to get there, are something special, at least for me.

2zstY.jpg
2zsvo.jpg

Haven’t read anything positive about the Buck Strider......at all.
Pro Tech is the way to go if you MUST.
Joe
Watched some reviews on YouTube and realize that it is a $200.00 piece of junk. I actually think I am going to look at PT they seem to make a very nice knife for the money.
I'd just save up for a real one. Check sites and sign up for notifications from shops like one that sell Customs Knives based in Arizona... users and minty fresh ones come up semi regularly.

I loved my buck strider at the cheap ass price I paid for it. Not worth what they are going for now mate.

Id say for similar functionality and rugged aesthetic at a lower price, Emerson would be a good bet. Maybe the CQC10 if you dig the hole in the blade.

On a side note, I thought Strider as soon as I saw that Spyderco Shaman!
I agree with you about the Shaman. I found another obscure knife that really has the same genetics. It's made by French designer Sacha Thiel and the models are the Officer V3 & V4. Really nice looking.

Hi. I also like Strider folders but it has always been very difficult to find here reputable dealers having them in stock. The rare cases where I have been able to find the models I am interested in, the prices, for me, were prohibitive (starting from 600 EUR up). :( To be honest, I have a personal set limit of 250-ish EUR for single knife purchase, even if we talk about hobby money. First of all, with a family of three kids, priorities often change and, from my own experience, with everything more expensive than that I find the law of diminishing return kicks in very/too hard.

About the so called “Strider controversy”, there are innumerable threads here on BF and in the web. Everyone has the opportunity to know the facts, elaborate them and form own opinions about. I had my say, not so long ago, here.

I ended up in buying something aesthetically somehow similar to a Strider folder but, eventually, more suitable for my carry needs and price tag :). It’s a mid-tech knife from Sascha Thiel, the Officer, which retains, for me, a kind of Strider-esque look which I truly like, but interpreted in a more refined and stylish design and it’s also an "easier" folder for me to EDC. These were available, at the time of my purchase at a price around 260 EUR delivered. I think Sascha is still making runs of these and, in the meantime, has added many new handles colors and decors. You can check out his web-site. By the way, I am carrying exactly this one this week :thumbsup:.

Anyway I strongly believe if you really want a Strider, try to get a real Strider. Save up for a while and get the real thing you really like. The joy and contentment deriving from being finally able to get exactly what I was looking for and the journey made of little steps to get there, are something special, at least for me.

2zstY.jpg
2zsvo.jpg
Thank you for showing me this knife. The minute I saw it I knew that this is what I wanted. I think it is much nicer looking than the Strider. After reading all the stories about him I prefer not to buy a Strider. My mind is now set on this knife. Do you happen to know the difference between the V3 & V4. They are both nice but I don't know what is not the same.

To the poster who has asked "what exactly do you like" I'm not OP I've been searching for a new or upgraded knife to this one I found 3 years ago at tractor supply. I use it almost daily. I love the weight, the grip and especially the case that just holds it perfectly. So to any knife experts. Can someone point me to a good upgrade? Or hey maybe someone has one. The only identifying mark is 51707. I kick myself but I was in hurry when I bought it, opened in the store and threw away the packaging. There is another forum where someone post the same knife and he got it a thrift store. Anywho thanks in advance. Cant attach images from my phone

I just looked at it and it is perfect, I had no idea that this particular knife existed. It fits the bill perfectly. I'm going to check out YouTube for reveiws.
Thanks
I have one. It’s a pretty strong knife and it looks like a strider. I don’t recall the steel used but it was lower end. These were originally on the market for about $60. Now they are selling in the $200 range.

Back