Super Hard (70 Rc) High Speed Steels – Maxamet, Rex 121, and More Explained

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Larrin, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    nsm, Storm W, bluntcut and 8 others like this.
  2. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I really enjoyed this one, as these are steels I am quite interested in, and have a few to play with.

Chuck is sending me some z-max to try. I think it’s very similar to Maxamet, so I’ll send some samples in for testing.

I have a question on wear resistance. I see double the edge retention from W2 or 52100 compared to z-wear, at typical hardness levels. Maxamet to 440c seems a bit under represented in terms of improvement at 2.2. (Iirc.) Am I talking about something different?

Nick Dunham and Bigfattyt like this.
  3. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Nope you are correct. W2 and 52100 have half the edge retention of 440C, so Z-Wear is probably at least twice as good.

4. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Edge retention test /the way it is done /don t tell the whole story if you ask me ....AFTER retention test stop HSS blade will stay in THAT sharpness /if we continue test / for many times longer then say 440C .440C will go rapid in losing it s sharpness if test continue . HSS no...........

5. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    ah, I forgot 440c has those big carbides.

Nick Dunham likes this.
  6. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    We didn’t ask you.

Hoss

Jason Volkert and ten-six like this.
  7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Funny guy :D Nor did I want your opinion on my post :p

8. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    So , WHO are We ?? Does that mean that www.bladeforums.com don t want me to post my opinion ?

9. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    Your words “if you ask me”, I said we didn’t ask you.

Hoss

ten-six and Taqtaq like this.
  10. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Aha ..................I see it now , funny guy :thumbsdown:

11. DevinT

Jan 29, 2010
    You rarely add anything useful to threads.

Hoss

ten-six and butcher_block like this.
  12. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    What are persistent guy you are :eek: What are you here ? Judge ? You get boring , you know that ? If you have something on topic to add ..be mu guest .You can start with ...what si not correct in my IF YOU ASK ME post .If you have noting to add, you know ........... :D Or I need to press report button,Troll :D

13. DevinT

Jan 29, 2010
    You have done no real testing of knives or edge holding but you gave your opinion which is useless.

Hoss

ten-six likes this.
  14. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    And you got that information from this lady , I guess ? Can you ASK her for next lotto numbers , please :D And stop trolling this thread . . .

[​IMG]

15. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Nevermind.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  16. DevinT

Jan 29, 2010
    Show us your testing and your results.

Hoss

ten-six likes this.
  17. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Thank Spark for "Ignore."

ten-six likes this.
  18. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    Beyond relative ease of heat treatment, is there any reason NOT to use one of these super hard steels for the vast majority of knives?

Hengelo_77 likes this.
  19. DevinT

Jan 29, 2010
    High cost, low toughness, difficult to finish and sharpen, and low availability are some reasons. They are not for the average knife user.

Hoss

20. Richard Coyle

Richard Coyle Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2019
    This is probably a super noobie question, but what does “high speed” mean. Why are they called “high speed” steels?