Super Hard (70 Rc) High Speed Steels – Maxamet, Rex 121, and More Explained

Larrin

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I really enjoyed this one, as these are steels I am quite interested in, and have a few to play with.

Chuck is sending me some z-max to try. I think it’s very similar to Maxamet, so I’ll send some samples in for testing.

I have a question on wear resistance. I see double the edge retention from W2 or 52100 compared to z-wear, at typical hardness levels. Maxamet to 440c seems a bit under represented in terms of improvement at 2.2. (Iirc.) Am I talking about something different?

I really enjoyed this one, as these are steels I am quite interested in, and have a few to play with.

Chuck is sending me some z-max to try. I think it’s very similar to Maxamet, so I’ll send some samples in for testing.

I have a question on wear resistance. I see double the edge retention from W2 or 52100 compared to z-wear, at typical hardness levels. Maxamet to 440c seems a bit under represented in terms of improvement at 2.2. (Iirc.) Am I talking about something different?
Nope you are correct. W2 and 52100 have half the edge retention of 440C, so Z-Wear is probably at least twice as good.

Edge retention test /the way it is done /don t tell the whole story if you ask me ....AFTER retention test stop HSS blade will stay in THAT sharpness /if we continue test / for many times longer then say 440C .440C will go rapid in losing it s sharpness if test continue . HSS no...........

Edge retention test /the way it is done /don t tell the whole story if you ask me ....AFTER retention test stop HSS blade will stay in THAT sharpness /if we continue test / for many times longer then say 440C .440C will go rapid in losing it s sharpness if test continue . HSS no...........
We didn’t ask you.

Hoss

You rarely add anything useful to threads.

Hoss
What are persistent guy you are :eek: What are you here ? Judge ? You get boring , you know that ? If you have something on topic to add ..be mu guest .You can start with ...what si not correct in my IF YOU ASK ME post .If you have noting to add, you know ........... :D Or I need to press report button,Troll :D

What are persistent guy you are :eek: What are you here ? Judge ? You get boring , you know that ? If you have something on topic to add ..be mu guest .You can start with ...what si not correct in my IF YOU ASK ME post .If you have noting to add, you know ........... :D Or I need to press report button,Troll :D
You have done no real testing of knives or edge holding but you gave your opinion which is useless.

Hoss

You have done no real testing of knives or edge holding but you gave your opinion which is useless.

Hoss

And you got that information from this lady , I guess ? Can you ASK her for next lotto numbers , please :D And stop trolling this thread . . .

pVAXHnY.jpg

Hoss

Nevermind.

Last edited:
Beyond relative ease of heat treatment, is there any reason NOT to use one of these super hard steels for the vast majority of knives?

This is probably a super noobie question, but what does “high speed” mean. Why are they called “high speed” steels?

Back