Super Hard (70 Rc) High Speed Steels – Maxamet, Rex 121, and More Explained

You are dumber than a box of rocks. 440C is the benchmark for catra testing, it is rated at 100%. Steels that are more wear resistant are given a higher number, 154cm is 120% for example. Rex 121 is almost 300% or 3 times more wear resistant than 440C.

Hoss
I understand that , i m not that dumb. Read my first post again what i was saying

I really enjoyed this one, as these are steels I am quite interested in, and have a few to play with.

Chuck is sending me some z-max to try. I think it’s very similar to Maxamet, so I’ll send some samples in for testing.

I have a question on wear resistance. I see double the edge retention from W2 or 52100 compared to z-wear, at typical hardness levels. Maxamet to 440c seems a bit under represented in terms of improvement at 2.2. (Iirc.) Am I talking about something different?

I understand that , i m not that dumb. Read my first post again what i was saying
I just explained it to you and you’re still not getting it. Maxamet is 220% compared to 440C or a factor of 2.2

Do we get extra government funds for having mentally challenged people like you on the forum?

Hoss

I m questioning data from Catra test ...............I give up , i m dumb .
http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/CATRA.html
This is good test .......... https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/some-catra-test-results.930333/

Catra works by cutting card stock under a given force, this means that the blade geometry is extremely important. To be explicit, you can thus take a 420J2 blade and make it have a higher Catra store than a S90V blade if the 420J2 blade is just much slimmer.
This thread is not about catra testing, it is not about 440C, it is not about your knives made from recycled hss, it is not about your opinions, it is about high hardness HSS, their history and use.

Hoss

I am glad AKS carries z-max. I've been wanting to ht experiment with cpm rex 76 to compare with CPM T-15. Will see how z-max stacks among [t15, 10v, k390, rex121, etc] in cutting bamboo test.

z-max is equivalent to rex 86. Which is between rex 76 and rex 121.
http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=CPM Rex 86,Rex 121,CPM Rex 76&ni=3221,6083,93&hrn=1&gm=0

I really enjoyed this one, as these are steels I am quite interested in, and have a few to play with.

Chuck is sending me some z-max to try. I think it’s very similar to Maxamet, so I’ll send some samples in for testing.

I have a question on wear resistance. I see double the edge retention from W2 or 52100 compared to z-wear, at typical hardness levels. Maxamet to 440c seems a bit under represented in terms of improvement at 2.2. (Iirc.) Am I talking about something different?

Just ordered a bar of Z-max to play with. I have about 6-8 months left before heading back overseas for a few years. Maybe I'll make a small fixed blade and take it with me to put through paces.

That would be awesome, show us some pics of the blades brotha.

Just ordered a bar of Z-max to play with. I have about 6-8 months left before heading back overseas for a few years. Maybe I'll make a small fixed blade and take it with me to put through paces.

Back